Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:45 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times

Advertisements

I agree..It's not healthy to remain in a state of seriousness and "deep thinking" day and night..This is the way to "crack-up!" Balance is needed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:26 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times
Hi CArizona,
Speaking of balance... Catman mentioned something to lighten up deep thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Jack Handy (remember him?) and I are the original thinkers of deep thoughts. I feel a kinship with the Scarecrow and his Th.D. (Doctor of Thinkology, bestowed by the Wizard) as well.
Yeah, I remember him, Catman. He was hillarious... around when Saturday Night Live was funnier.
However, he kindof put a damper on positive thinking & affirmations...
Remember - "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough... and dog gonnit, People like me!" lol

SNL Daily Affirmations with Stuart Smalley - YouTube

I read, say or listen to affimirmations, (because thoughts are powerful) but can never do one anything close to that without feeling silly.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:42 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times
Woodrow,
I agree that we are very complex & that it's easier to just go along on auto pilot... Our complexity takes work & maybe some risk to explore. And many don't want to bother. Yet, I believe that our pain (both emotional & physical) is because of this ignor-ance. Ignoring any pain just makes it worse, since pain is trying to tell us something. If we listen to it when it's mild, it's easier & less problematic than if we wait until it's overwhelming.
I've posted this before, but it's useful to me & maybe to others...
Healing Affirmations - Metaphysical Causes of Disease and Illness
Beliefs/Thoughts are a part of our complexity - along with lifestyle, heredity etc...

Yet, as mentioned, there's a balance... We need passion... & often what gets us excited isn't always logically or intellectually deep - but maybe emotionally deep. -Like dancing, laughing... playing in different ways.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:23 AM

SuperSoul...Thanks for your posts! I have a "secret side" that few people get to see! I like to sing songs in funny ways. (Like a comic doing satire or ???)...I can make weird noises with my mouth that sound like musical instruments! One day I might gain the courage to take my songs and "comic routines" to "You Tube!" Who knows??...I can "dance funny" too! Or get carried away writing satire!..I like to write stories using animals as my main characters. One time I even wrote a story about "plant characters" and had "weeds" speaking out about how they are treated unfairly by society and judged "bad" and "worthless!"....I wrote another story where pennies "spoke out" and complained because they are treated like "nothings" in today's society... Other coins acted like "bullies" towards some of the pennies!....It helps to keep our imagination alive and well. Don't you think???

Old 08-26-2011, 12:02 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I don't really consider myself a "deep thinker", and I would certainly never actually call myself that in front of other people. But I've noticed that most people I know seem to limit their conversations to sports, television shows, and small talk. Very rarely have I had a conversation with a coworker about deeper subjects. And while that kind of makes me feel like I'm the only one who thinks about "deeper" things, I suspect in reality that most people think similar thoughts, but just don't discuss them. Maybe they're afraid they don't know enough about the subject to bring it up, or they feel no one else thinks about those things (sounds familiar!)

In contrast, occasionally at my last job as a warehouse manager when we'd have a slow spell and several coworkers and I would just be sitting around waiting for something to do, one of them would bring up some subject that would surprise me, pleasantly. One in particular seemed especially apt to discuss religion, philosophy, and even science. I recall one particular conversation we had about evolution that I really enjoyed, and he had some, in my opinion, pretty darn brilliant ideas. This tells me that he probably thinks about those things pretty often, much like myself. But most of the time he wouldn't mention any of those things. Coworkers have surprised me like this several times, and as a result I've decided that most people probably ponder deeper subjects at least occasionally, even if they don't talk about it. At least I'd like to think that's the case.

Those with big minds talk about ideas and concepts.

Those with average minds talk about cars and sports.

Those with little minds talk about other people.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

Great post!

Old 08-26-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Woodrow,
I agree that we are very complex & that it's easier to just go along on auto pilot... Our complexity takes work & maybe some risk to explore. And many don't want to bother. Yet, I believe that our pain (both emotional & physical) is because of this ignor-ance. Ignoring any pain just makes it worse, since pain is trying to tell us something. If we listen to it when it's mild, it's easier & less problematic than if we wait until it's overwhelming.
I've posted this before, but it's useful to me & maybe to others...
Healing Affirmations - Metaphysical Causes of Disease and Illness
Beliefs/Thoughts are a part of our complexity - along with lifestyle, heredity etc...

Yet, as mentioned, there's a balance... We need passion... & often what gets us excited isn't always logically or intellectually deep - but maybe emotionally deep. -Like dancing, laughing... playing in different ways.
I agree with what you wrote about pain. I've always tried to deal with my emotional pain so it won't manifest into physical pain too...

Old 08-26-2011, 12:58 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

Do those with big minds ever talk about anything other than ideas and concepts? I would certainly hope so.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:16 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Do those with big minds ever talk about anything other than ideas and concepts? I would certainly hope so.
I probably don't fit the big mind category. But I do have a very deep thinking side.

I have periods when I like to read and talk about fantasy and nonsense. I am a cartoon fan, primarily the pre-1960 Genre, especially Tex Avery and the early Walter Lantz.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:01 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I probably don't fit the big mind category. But I do have a very deep thinking side.

I have periods when I like to read and talk about fantasy and nonsense. I am a cartoon fan, primarily the pre-1960 Genre, especially Tex Avery and the early Walter Lantz.
I think it's good to be balanced like that. And I can't imagine there are many people who only discuss "deep" things. But I don't doubt that some people think about such things more often than others. And throughout history, I'm sure some of the most famous and revolutionary great thinkers pondered "heavy" subjects more than any of us could imagine. Of course, some of them were also kind of crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality