U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-30-2011, 02:00 PM

30,957 posts, read 12,513,053 times
I think his point being that a person lacking all those at any or all of those at any point in time (as being in a vegetative state) has no spirit. And nothing but humans qualifying for the above have spirit and consciousness. The dog or cat that just respond to you in every possible way, within their capacity... are doing so unconsciously. Brilliant discovery, isn't it?

Old 08-30-2011, 02:19 PM

5,298 posts, read 1,976,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post

The brain controls emotions.

How The Brain Controls Emotions.

I totally disagree, Consciousness controls emotions, not the brain. Consciousness controls the brain. It is the whole architect of behavior. Consciousness takes you into any emotion you experience, not your brain. All sensations that we experience are stimulated by consciousness. You don't even need to physically experience things of which consciousness can experience. Consciousness floats in the body like a mist, it is not physically tied to the nervous system, But it can fire it at will.

Sleep or awake, Consciousness streams on , always the continuity. Its a succession of different conditions, thoughts, images, memories, interior dialogues, regrets, wishes, resolves, all interweaving with the consciousness, not the brain. Although the brain is being inlisted. All stimuli in our behavior comes from the ubiquitous phenom called consciousness.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:46 PM

10,030 posts, read 6,502,251 times
You now I find this thread very interesting. Native Americans have a belief in the spirit world, we believe that the spirits of our departed ancestors are always among us, at least that's what we've been taught, as to whether they really are not that's up to the individual's belief but I do have a question and I don't want anybody to think that I'm crazy or anything like that, maybe somebody can explain without ridicule a personal experience that I had 19 years ago today. Let me explain. 19 years ago today my father passed away and I was present in the hospital room prior to this happening, I was by myself with him, he was dying from cancer and he had no knowledge of me being there, mainly because of the morphine that he was being given to ease the pain but as I was sitting there in this room with just him and I, something happened that I cannot explain, now understand I don't just believe in anything that anybody says or does, I question things, but something happened in that room with my father that to this day I cannot explain. In April of 1964 my grandfather passed away, now mind you my grandfather and I were very close and on the night that my father passed away, I saw my grandfather standing next to his bed and I don't mean an aberration of some transparent spirit of some kind, I actually saw my grandfather standing next to my father's bed. No words were spoken, nothing spookie or anything like that, 10 minutes later my father quit living and had passed away. Now I'm not an overly superstitious person, I have an open mind but I still wonder, did I really see this. I say this because as a Native American we have a belief that every living thing has a spirit and maybe this was one of those spirits. What do you think?

Old 08-30-2011, 02:52 PM

30,957 posts, read 12,513,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
I totally disagree, Consciousness controls emotions, not the brain. Consciousness controls the brain.
I couldn't disagree more... I sure hope this wasn't a typo.

After all, if we take the brain out, consciousness will stay and keep the person smart, talented, joyous...

Old 08-30-2011, 03:37 PM

8,395 posts, read 5,634,350 times
Quote:
I totally disagree, Consciousness controls emotions, not the brain. Consciousness controls the brain. It is the whole architect of behavior. Consciousness takes you into any emotion you experience, not your brain. All sensations that we experience are stimulated by consciousness. You don't even need to physically experience things of which consciousness can experience. Consciousness floats in the body like a mist, it is not physically tied to the nervous system, But it can fire it at will.

Sleep or awake, Consciousness streams on , always the continuity. Its a succession of different conditions, thoughts, images, memories, interior dialogues, regrets, wishes, resolves, all interweaving with the consciousness, not the brain. Although the brain is being inlisted. All stimuli in our behavior comes from the ubiquitous phenom called consciousness.
I don't care if you disagree with me. Thousands of learned people are not wrong.

You are completely delusional if you cannot grasp the basic concepts of Neurology that state everything we are has a seat in our brain.

Good heavens, years of science and we still have these types running around trying to refute scientific facts.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
You now I find this thread very interesting. Native Americans have a belief in the spirit world, we believe that the spirits of our departed ancestors are always among us, at least that's what we've been taught, as to whether they really are not that's up to the individual's belief but I do have a question and I don't want anybody to think that I'm crazy or anything like that, maybe somebody can explain without ridicule a personal experience that I had 19 years ago today. Let me explain. 19 years ago today my father passed away and I was present in the hospital room prior to this happening, I was by myself with him, he was dying from cancer and he had no knowledge of me being there, mainly because of the morphine that he was being given to ease the pain but as I was sitting there in this room with just him and I, something happened that I cannot explain, now understand I don't just believe in anything that anybody says or does, I question things, but something happened in that room with my father that to this day I cannot explain. In April of 1964 my grandfather passed away, now mind you my grandfather and I were very close and on the night that my father passed away, I saw my grandfather standing next to his bed and I don't mean an aberration of some transparent spirit of some kind, I actually saw my grandfather standing next to my father's bed. No words were spoken, nothing spookie or anything like that, 10 minutes later my father quit living and had passed away. Now I'm not an overly superstitious person, I have an open mind but I still wonder, did I really see this. I say this because as a Native American we have a belief that every living thing has a spirit and maybe this was one of those spirits. What do you think?

I think it does not matter what others think about your experience. It was yours, proof of a thing for you.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post

I don't care if you disagree with me. Thousands of learned people are not wrong.

In my view, thousands of them "Are wrong", including you.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:55 PM

24,592 posts, read 17,757,941 times
Quote:
In my view, thousands of them "Are wrong", including you.
We know by now that the only person on earth who is "right" is you. You truly live alone in a world of your own making, but I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
We know by now that the only person on earth who is "right" is you. You truly live alone in a world of your own making, but I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Well I don't blame you, I reject so much of the stuff out there, its rediculous. I do more rejecting than I do accepting. There are so many spirits of error going around, its stiffiling. It can choke you if your not careful.

I have spent the last 20 years just ridding myself of deception collected through just natural growing up.

So I don't blame you one bit. I may start a post on deprograming yourself.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Status: "Cat still has computer--Human slave lost again" (set 11 days ago)

10,409 posts, read 3,938,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
da-`go-hi-yu-`ni Ptsum.

Interesting. While us Muslims do not have the same concept of spirits that the Cherokee have. I do believe you saw as you say you saw. I know that Allaah(swt) can allow all things to happen. I do not know if that was your father you saw or an image of your father. But, it does seem Allaah(swt) wanted you to be comforted by what you saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality