Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 01:38 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post

By my estimate, God made most of those people, knowing the whole time there were going to go to hell. Some of them he put in places that could not possibly have heard of him. Others were just born naturally skeptical.

I have no idea why he would want to torture so many people... for eternity! (Why not just for the span of their life, and then let them go?)

He still seems evil to me.

I don't believe in eternal hell torture, God will do no such thing. Eternal hell punishing is a horrible myth, and a just as horrible misinterpitation of scripture. Your going to have to find another gripe, because hell is just as false as santa claus.

God seems overflowing with Love in my view.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:49 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
I don't believe in eternal hell torture, God will do no such thing. Eternal hell punishing is a horrible myth, and a just as horrible misinterpitation of scripture. Your going to have to find another gripe, because hell is just as false as santa claus.

God seems overflowing with Love in my view.

Well a God without hell is like a cheeseburger without the extra pounds! What's not to like about that!

So in your estimation, a guy like me will just be dead when I die? Nothing happens to me? If so, I don't think that's so bad.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:50 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Well a God without hell is like a cheeseburger without the extra pounds! What's not to like about that!

So in your estimation, a guy like me will just be dead when I die? Nothing happens to me?
I think the point has lately been... it doesn't matter how you live. We all end up with the same fate.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I think the point has lately been... it doesn't matter how you live. We all end up with the same fate.

Sometimes when Christians describe heaven, it doesn't sound so good to me. Appearently it's kind of like one long church service that last an eternity. You spend the rest of time worshipping someone else.

Given that option or the option to just check out when I die, I think I want to check out.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:

So in your estimation, a guy like me will just be dead when I die? Nothing happens to me? If so, I don't think that's so bad.

In my estimation all of humanity will be alive with God for eternity; and I have consistantly given this estimation, so I don't understand where you got your opinion of my estimation from.

The doctrine of eternal hell suffering is a complettely false doctrine. I think I have something in the archives here concerning that, I don't remember.

Atheist are going to have to learn to give up on some of their common gripes about God, they are just not true. They are old school gripes that have run out of reality. Update your gripes, because the world is learning about God, and your going to need " Modern Gripes" to match the times.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
In my estimation all of humanity will be alive with God for eternity; and I have consistantly given this estimation, so I don't understand where you got your opinion of my estimation from.

Sorry, I've been away for several months. I didn't know what you believed so I projected my southern baptist roots onto you. I apologize.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:40 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
I don't think that's really a fair reading of the situation.
Afterall, it was God that was going to destroy the humanity in the first place! Can't give him a lot of points for sending his son to save us from himself.
Surely being God he could have thought of another way. Maybe he could have just let the whole thing slide? We were only talking about some fruit that people ate, right? Not that big of a deal, it seams to me.
I know if someone ate some of my fruit, I would threaten to kill them, but then agree not to if my son would go die as reperations.
Refuting the illogic of the ancient ignorance is too easy. I wouldn't think it would be sufficiently challenging for you, Box. God had no intention whatsoever of destroying any part of humanity, ever . . . despite the ancient ignorance and superstitious beliefs of our ancestors. As described by our ignorant savage ancestors . . . Jehovah is evil . . . no question about it for anyone who has learned to distinguish Evil from Good. I understand your incredulity that any human being today could believe those things and accept them as Good and loving. I share the astonishment. But the God Christ revealed is not remotely like that.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:14 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Refuting the illogic of the ancient ignorance is too easy.
If it were, we won't need to be arguing about what we obviously are.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:49 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
If it were, we won't need to be arguing about what we obviously are.
Refuting it is easy . . . getting the Luddite Fundies to accept it is another problem entirely.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I've been away for several months. I didn't know what you believed so I projected my southern baptist roots onto you. I apologize.

Well I understand, I had those baptist roots are in me too. Which brings to mind another aspect of " Spirit", ---learning from Memory and Emotion. I just can't understand why some think this is a result of physical brain tissue; I mean I just can't see that. You judged me based on things you remembered long ago, you can see you were wrong, you apologised; I think all those actions are a spiritual matter, not a physical one.

For example; Love. Which part of the brain produces Love? And how does a physiological tissue produce growth in Love? I can see how physical damage to the tissue can hurt the memory, but how does it help the memory increase and maintain total recall? Recall that is combined with emotion within that memory? I don't see it.

Its the same with jealousy and envy, which part of the brain do these come from? I think they come from spirit, not tissue. Or even the act of " Debating", as we are doing here. Which part of the brain does debating come from? Does our nervous system have a " Debate cell?" No, Spirit is evidence of an ingenious design within man, Gods own lifeforce acting as the true energy source of the human body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality