Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 11:20 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
That takes away any credibility of you speaking of consciousness, unfortunately.

Well I am not seeking credibility from others, I know what I know, and I don't know what I don't.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:40 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Well I am not seeking credibility from others, I know what I know, and I don't know what I don't.
Your argument, I meant. Not credible if it fails to differentiate.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:27 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,495 times
Quote:
Well they " Don't" have these things, which are signs of Consciousness;

Civilization.
Religion.
Morals.
Science.
Technology.
Agriculture.
Sports.
War.
Education.
Working spoken language.
Working written language.
Some animals use tools which can be a form of technology (Chimps come to mind), others have forms of communication might not be spoken language but I feel it's close enough (some animals can be taught sign language). Education, some teach their young how to hunt or do other things as for morals there are some animals that show altruism, not exactly in a high moral cognition way, but could be seen as a form of morality.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:25 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Some animals use tools which can be a form of technology (Chimps come to mind), others have forms of communication might not be spoken language but I feel it's close enough (some animals can be taught sign language). Education, some teach their young how to hunt or do other things as for morals there are some animals that show altruism, not exactly in a high moral cognition way, but could be seen as a form of morality.
Not really. The chimp, Nim Chimpsky, that was taught "sign language" was taught words but wasn't able to grasp the syntax of language that humans grasp. When Nim Chimpsky was evaluated by native Deaf signers, it became clearly obvious that the chimp wasn't able to construct an infinite number of sentences through the usage of syntax the way human signers are.

That said, I do believe animals can and do communicate. I just don't think it's through the mechanism of human language. I believe their communication is just as nuanced, but it's a whole different medium.

I also am not sure that language acquisition is proof for the presence of spirit. After all, computers can produce language to a higher degree than Nim Chimpsky (think translation software, screen reading software) and yet many animals who don't have language do show signs of having emotions. For example, a lot of dogs experience separation anxiety when their owners leave them. Personally I believe animals, just like humans, do have spirits.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 08-25-2011 at 01:38 PM..

Old 08-25-2011, 01:30 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
How odd. In my experience Theist argument seems to be founded on us not knowing what we know, which implies that believing what we don't know is just as valid.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Well they " Don't" have these things, which are signs of Consciousness;

Civilization.
Religion.
Morals.
Science.
Technology.
Agriculture.
Sports.
War.
Education.
Working spoken language.
Working written language.
Most human languages don't have a written form. Humans speak thousands of languages but only a few hundred have formal written systems. Would you say that societies that have no written language are less conscious than those that do?

Old 08-25-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
How odd. In my experience Theist argument seems to be founded on us not knowing what we know, which implies that believing what we don't know is just as valid.

Interesting; My arguements have absolutely to do with what others know or not, nor do I ever try and "Convince" others away from their views, I simply express mine. That being said;

In my view, the gulf between human language and animal language, ( because I do believe animals can certainly communicate with each other) is so vast, its simply academic that they do not posses the level of consciousness that we do. They are operating soley on instinct, not intelligence. Some of them can mimic so well that it may give the illusion of conscious intelligence, but it is not.

I think the " Desire of some humans" for animals to be as they are is so strong, that they convince themselves that the animal is as they are. Can communicate as they do; thats just human desire, its not actual fact. And its along this kind of unfounded desire, that many humans feel we are continous with the idiot hierarchies of speechless apes.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Most human languages don't have a written form. Humans speak thousands of languages but only a few hundred have formal written systems. Would you say that societies that have no written language are less conscious than those that do?

No I wouldnot, you make a good point; but even still, it does not take away from the fact that written language and spoken language are definte signs of consciousness.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
No I wouldnot, you make a good point; but even still, it does not take away from the fact that written language and spoken language are definte signs of consciousness.
Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Understood.

There is another aspect of what is a Spirit that I view as interesting. The human has a brain, and a Spirit, which contains the true " Essence of the human?" I think the Spirit. When God incerts the Spirit into the human, in my view, the Spirit is the dominant factor that God is developing, not the brain. It is the Spirit that " Records" all that we are and will be. When God wants to examine the human, he looks at their Spirit, or their Consciousness; conversely, when God wants to deal with the human, he appeals directly to their consciousness.

He looks to develop the consciousness.

He will communicate with the consciousness.

When we die he takes the consciousness.

When he ressurects, its the consciousness which is most important, not the body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality