Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:23 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,453 times

Advertisements

Personally I don't care that our money says "In God We Trust." I don't even care if Goofy is on it... or if it says "In Mickey Mouse We Trust." As long as I can buy something with it. People should care more about the blood spilled in Iraq than a statement on our money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 11:52 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
I agree, mommabear, but to say that because we're trying to change one thing that we should disregard everything else is stupid.

I don't understand people who don't understand why I am offended by "In God We Trust" on our money. I don't trust in a God. My money goes to printing that money. I have to use that money. The United States is founded on no religion. Why in the world are we printing the name of a deity on the currency of a democracy??? I mean, this issue is so simple, it's difficult to formulate an argument! Read the Constitution!

Old 08-16-2007, 07:43 AM

679 posts, read 1,439,679 times
This administration seemed to think while blood was being spilled in Iraq that it was perfectly fine to block stem cell research, help christian organizations get federal funding and get involved in one woman's family's decision to pull the plug. There's a lot of crap that's been going on while people are being distracted with Iraq and color coded security threat levels.

Wrong is wrong.

If you care so little about what's on our currency then you shouldn't have any care towards removing the god motto. That's nice for me but I think you should have a little more interest in what goes on it.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:58 AM

445 posts, read 1,984,516 times
Separation of church and state has nothing to do with money saying "in god we trust" and is not a violation of separation of church and state. The concept of separation is commonly credited to the combination of the two clauses: the establishment clause, generally interpreted as preventing the government from establishing a national religion, providing tax dollars in support of religion, or otherwise favoring any single religion and the free exercise clause, ensuring that private religious practices not be restricted by the government. When money says "in God we trust" its not favoring any specific religion since all religions have a god.If it said in allah we trust or in jesus we trust,then it would be a violation. Being an atheist is NOT a religion. Its a lack of religion and thus cannot be part of the separation of church and state

Old 08-16-2007, 08:10 AM

Nice try. The freedom FROM religion is just as valid as the freedom FOR religion. The motto and the Pledge edit is a clear example of favoring theism over atheism and as I pointed out, a hindu would have to ask, "which one of my gods? Vishnu? Shiva? Hanuman? Balrama? Vamana? Krishna?"

Old 08-16-2007, 08:26 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
Nice try. The freedom FROM religion is just as valid as the freedom FOR religion. The motto and the Pledge edit is a clear example of favoring theism over atheism and as I pointed out, a hindu would have to ask, "which one of my gods? Vishnu? Shiva? Hanuman? Balrama? Vamana? Krishna?"
This is true, and you DO HAVE THE FREEDOM FROM RELIGION! No one is forcing you to believe in God. And, I would add that for me I am not offended when someone says they don't believe in Jesus...it doesn't bother me if I walk down the street and see a Muslim business, Budda businees or even a place for tarot card reading. This is what freedom of religion is. It is going to be all around you. If you want total and complete freedom FROM religion, you are going to have to move!

Old 08-16-2007, 08:32 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
If any place where In God We Trust fits, then it's on money...because money is highly worshipped, quite possibly more than the god of your choice.

However, I think In Satan We Trust on money would be hilarious. I'd love to see the look on people's faces when they look at their money closely. That would be priceless.
Now a days the money passes so quickly in and out of our hands that we barely see the picture on it much less the motto. I don't really think it offends anyone. Only thing that sounds strange to me is that at church they used to tell me that it was Gods money and I should give it back.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
it doesn't bother me if I walk down the street and see a Muslim business, Budda businees or even a place for tarot card reading.
That's completely different. You're mixing private citizen actions with those of the government which is supposed to remain neutral.

You're all ignoring the Pledge, too.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:39 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,080 times
Quote:
That's completely different. You're mixing private citizen actions with those of the government which is supposed to remain neutral.

You're all ignoring the Pledge, too.
If you want to take in God we trust off the money and out of the Pledge too that would not offend me. It would make me sad, but not offend me.

My point is that "religion" is all around you...it's on our national monuments, it's in the private sector. If you want freedom from all religion you're going to have to move. This is what our great country is founded on...freedom of religion...all religion...and freedom to not participate in any religion is part of that freedom.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:41 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,453 times
Quote:

If you care so little about what's on our currency then you shouldn't have any care towards removing the god motto. That's nice for me but I think you should have a little more interest in what goes on it.

You are right, I'm not going to care if the motto is removed. But I would rather concentrate on issues that would make the world a better place rather than on something that makes a few people feel better. Is in "IGWT" really hurting anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality