U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-01-2011, 02:59 PM

24,329 posts, read 17,327,749 times
Amazing man...Thanks for posting that supersoul...Good thing I had tissues handy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 06:28 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,736,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Cherry pick much? Here are a few you ignored.

Corinthians ...
11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

14:35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

Ephesians 5

5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Disgusting bs!
Well of course it is, it's from the buy bull

Old 09-02-2011, 04:02 PM

1,997 posts, read 1,574,454 times
As a Texan, I know what I've seen and I've figured it's because of the need to have sex.

I've seen MORE people graduate from Christian libral arts college *cough* ACU/TCU *cough* on Saturday THEN get married on the following Saturday. Mom and dad putting the money up for a house/apartment because this economy is in the crapper and these kids DON'T have decent jobs to be married. Love is one thing but life is EXPENSIVE and love doesn't fill up your tank

And I'm like WTF? You have no job, no money, mom and dad JUST payed $$$ for 4 years of college and now for a big wedding bash all so you can say you were a virgin on your wedding night. Though most are hypocrites who had sex long before a ring was on the finger.

But that just baffles me at this age. At 23 I sure don't want to get married right now. I believe marriage is forever and I JUST got out of school. I need to get mentally into the big world on my own before I'm a title "Mrs" and someone's "wife"

But there's this, meet at Welcome Days, "I love God, I've never had sex" "Me too" okay so let's date throughout college and try to hold it in so then we can get married super fast.

I just don't get that.

Other than that, there's the push when a girl gets pregnant for a shotgun wedding. Marriage rarely works out when forced. It's nice to be married so the kid isn't the awful B word and mom and dad have the same last name but there's nothing smart about two 19 year olds with no money, saying their adults but then parents PAY for them a place to stay and food on the table just so the can get married.

Another thing is the low cost of living. With things relatively cheaper, you can afford to get divorced in the South. In the NE, things are EXPENSIVE. I mean gas and housing is high enough but it's a shame $900 can't get you a nice place to stay in a nice area in a place like NYC. For that you'll be rooming with rats. Married couples probably figure, despite not wanting to be together, it would be harder to live on their own in the NE money wife if they divorce so they stay together.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:26 PM

2,010 posts, read 1,504,829 times
Quote:
Amazing man...Thanks for posting that supersoul...Good thing I had tissues handy.
He is!
I'm glad you liked it, Sanspeur.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:34 PM

2,010 posts, read 1,504,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
As a Texan, I know what I've seen and I've figured it's because of the need to have sex.
And I thought it was just a Mormon thing.
You make some good points.

It seems that in most cultures, virgins at marriage is the exception, not the norm.
Although practical application may be another story...
Ideally, sex (& masterbation) would be more openly discussed - yet in a respectful way... With still the goal to wait for marriage to have sex.
Yeah, it sounds old-fashioned, but I think waiting to have sex until marriage

1. Shows self-control (which also shows future loyalty in the marriage)
2. One's values - you won't just have sex with anyone
3. Respects the posibility of becoming pregnant
4. No risks of STDs & AIDS

Old 09-09-2011, 09:16 PM

12,411 posts, read 8,979,817 times
I think waiting until marriage has a lot wrong with it when both parties wish to do the responsible things like finishing school and having a decent job and some savings before marriage.

Waiting too long, I believe, conditions the female at times to sort of detach from her sexual feelings.

The alternative would be marrying too young, before you knew much about life, often contributing to the divorce rate.

In all practicality, with birth control these days, it is probably best if young people enjoyed sex before getting married, in my opinion. It should not be the main reason for marriage and if kids are told to wait that is what often happens.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:12 PM

2,997 posts, read 2,613,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
This report along with the Barna report , looks at just the South to come up with their conclusions. It is not a good representative for Christian Marriages overall because much of the South is inundated with poverty, joblessness, and homelessness which all contribute greatly to divorce in any people group. The least these reporting agencies could do, is to fairly consider ALL geographical areas of our nation so they get a good and fair sampling . Otherwise, its akin to going into the Prostitution community to conduct an STD study.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:37 PM

4,345 posts, read 3,540,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Divorce rates higher in the Bible belt
Well of course the devil is going to work harder there where he is threatened.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:39 PM

24,329 posts, read 17,327,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
This report along with the Barna report , looks at just the South to come up with their conclusions. It is not a good representative for Christian Marriages overall because much of the South is inundated with poverty, joblessness, and homelessness which all contribute greatly to divorce in any people group. The least these reporting agencies could do, is to fairly consider ALL geographical areas of our nation so they get a good and fair sampling . Otherwise, its akin to going into the Prostitution community to conduct an STD study.
What, did you not read the report? It dealt with the entire nation.

Marriages and Divorce: A 50-State Tour | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Old 09-11-2011, 12:53 PM

2,997 posts, read 2,613,221 times
Quote:
What, did you not read the report? It dealt with the entire nation.

Marriages and Divorce: A 50-State Tour | Pew Social & Demographic Trends
Barnas didnt deal with the entire nation. I wonder if the report dealt with the same percentage of financially struggling marriages and the opposite ? Usually, these kinds of reports have all kinds of flies in the ointment contributing to an inaccurate and unfair analysis. Its especially typical of our liberal Media .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality