Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 12:51 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times

Advertisements

This thread is evidence that theists can only dabble in conjecture. Science deals in hypothesis and applies a scientific approach based on accumulated knowledge to seek out the answer whereas the theist position assumes a conclusions and tries unsuccessfully to make the facts fit the conclusion.

One is variable and open to correction the other is not. No guessing which one is open.....

Old 08-27-2011, 01:18 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default Or course I'd believe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I may be wrong, but I thought you said that you have such proof.
If I ever see such absolute proof, then I will have to admit that I was wrong all these years.
Ditto. Why would I, a rational, observant and open-minded person, not believe if there were "absolute proof"? But we all know this has been tried and it's always failed.

"He exists because I want Him to, or because, well, those pretty flowers are too beautiful to have evolved on their own! So, there MUST BE a God"

Not good enough. Not "PROOF" by any standards, just wishful thinking. I'm waiting, but I don't have that much time left on this earth, so you'd better hurry up with your "absolute proof", OK?

Old 08-27-2011, 04:33 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Of course if there was convincing proof that the Youknowwhich god was real and presumably would have made clear to us what we badly need to know but leaves us wondering - whether Judaism, Christianity, Mormonism or Islam or none of the above is the 'right' belief - we would of course believe and decide our response accordingly.

I am minded to ask what the Jews, Mormons, Muslims and Christians would do if it announced in a booming voice that their religion was the wrong one. Just change their religion?

If so why won't they try to get it right beforehand? After all, many of them think there might be some eternal punishment attached to getting it wrong. That's the point of the 'Which God?' question. You'd expect them to carefully evaluate the rival claims of the other religions and even other gods of course. Instead they are merely dismissed as 'wrong'.

We get the muslims saying that christianity is wrong because Jesus is described as begotten by God -which can't be true as the Quran says different. The Christians can say that the Quran is wrong because it doesn't say that Jesus was the begotten of God. Personally I can't see that the Quran has any business telling the creator of the universe what He can or can't beget.

But this question of 'what if you're wrong' really applies equally and perhaps more urgently to the various believers. If they won't address the question, why should we?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-27-2011 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: mandatory tidy -up.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:16 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
If you were presented with absolute proof that God* was real what would you do?

*(note the capital G)

Please dispence with "which god" snark. You know which one I'm talking about.
The only thing I can say is that I'd have to accept that there is an entity known as God.
Other than that, what I would do has to depend on what that god is actually like.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:52 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Hmm...seems most atheists here can't answer a simple question. Must mock theism. Why even bother.

Perhaps the concept of God is something that is so uncomfortable. But thank you to the three folk who gave a straight answer.

When I posted this question on other sites at least I got 30 straight answers. Here not so much. Pitiful-and Rifleman thought theists were evasive, gads.
As Sizzly Friddle points out, your claim that you only received three straight answers is false.

Pretending for the moment that your claim wasn't false, let me sum up:
"Waah! I posted a question online, and not everyone who replied answered my question! Poor, poor me!"

Way to nurture that victim complex...

Old 08-27-2011, 08:54 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I am minded to ask what the Jews, Mormons, Muslims and Christians would do if it announced in a booming voice that their religion was the wrong one. Just change their religion?
Absolutely.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:17 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
He also said that he had already posted the question here and that 80% of the atheists said that they "didn't want there to be a god". He doesn't seem able to produce that thread though....no surprise really.

Same for me.
I have to wonder if, in that thread, 80% of the atheists were mostly just saying they didn't want the Christian god to be real. Because admittedly, that's not the god I'd want to be real.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:22 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I have to wonder if, in that thread, 80% of the atheists were mostly just saying they didn't want the Christian god to be real. Because admittedly, that's not the god I'd want to be real.
One thing is certain, whatever atheists said in that elusive, 'no can find' thread of his, he will have twisted it in knots to claim that it said something that it didn't. It's an art form for him.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:10 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Nice point. In fact none of them are the kind likely to make comfy neighbours, but I suppose that most of us could rub along well enough with chanting praise and offering a slice of our earnings to whichever God is the right one and maybe wearing a funny hat as required. Just carrying the party card and not rocking the boat is quite enough to pass muster. After all, Faith, not works, is really the bottom line and, if the bugger was occupying a huge palace where Jerusalem used to be, that shouldn't be too hard.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:17 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Quote:
Please dispence with "which god" snark. You know which one I'm talking about.
Why, your's of course!

If I was presented with absolute evidence that a god exists, I would of course have to revise my conclusion. That's what you do when you judge what is true based on what the evidence tells you. The evidence so far does not support the idea that such a being exists. Not your's, not the gods of the Greeks, not the gods of the Norse, none of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality