U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-28-2011, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Murfreesboro (nearer Smyrna), TN
694 posts, read 624,183 times
Reputation: 345

Advertisements

I find myself doing this and I wonder why. If you believe something, you believe it. If you don't, you don't.

The reason I argue sometimes is not because someone doesn't believe as I do, but out of anger for the fact that many who don't believe seem to want respect from me while not being willing to show respect to me. I don't need respect from them, but it angers me that they want something they are not willing to give. ...and they say we are arrogant (which is many times true).

Charles Sands
37129
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2011, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 12,465,150 times
Reputation: 7377
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
I find myself doing this and I wonder why. If you believe something, you believe it. If you don't, you don't.

The reason I argue sometimes is not because someone doesn't believe as I do, but out of anger for the fact that many who don't believe seem to want respect from me while not being willing to show respect to me. I don't need respect from them, but it angers me that they want something they are not willing to give. ...and they say we are arrogant (which is many times true).

Charles Sands
37129
Many of us theists believe we are the only people who have found the path that leads to heaven, We often feel compelled to lead others to the truth so they can escape Hellfire.

We fail to see that they feel the same way about their own beliefs and want to lead us to the same goal.


We are like 2 donkeys tied together and one believes the food is at the North East corner of the pasture the other believes it is at the South west Corner. they both know they will starve to death if they don't reach the food and yet neither can go to the food source without bringing the other with him. The result is a lot of kicking and braying. Us human's are much like those 2 donkeys. It would make more sense if instead of trying to drag the other, they would learn to walk side by side in peace and explore all 4 corners of the pasture. But, donkeys often act like humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Status: "Yea! I finally got a blog!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,174 posts, read 20,798,763 times
Reputation: 9867
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
I find myself doing this and I wonder why. If you believe something, you believe it. If you don't, you don't.

The reason I argue sometimes is not because someone doesn't believe as I do, but out of anger for the fact that many who don't believe seem to want respect from me while not being willing to show respect to me. I don't need respect from them, but it angers me that they want something they are not willing to give. ...and they say we are arrogant (which is many times true).

Charles Sands
37129
As an LDS Christian, I couldn't agree more. I don't care if people don't believe what I believe. I just don't appreciate it when they misrepresent and/or ridicule my beliefs. It would never even occur to me to ridicule someone who doesn't believe as I do (or who doesn't believe in God at all), nor am I interested in proselytizing. I seriously just wish we could all be a little more civil to one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
7,879 posts, read 8,438,386 times
Reputation: 11463
I think it would be nice if folk would realize that God is real and that their Eternal Destiny is at stake.

So here I am "Mr in your face". Let those who are gentle and polite reach those they can. Me? Sorry Bub, but I am Mr5150 and I say you're wrong and here is why! Whew! I feel so much better now. Thanks!

Please folk...I really care about ya'all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 09:06 PM
 
2,447 posts, read 2,568,590 times
Reputation: 2202
Some religious people are taking it too far, and they are raising kids who may do the same. It needs to be addressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Status: "Yea! I finally got a blog!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,174 posts, read 20,798,763 times
Reputation: 9867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Good. I can be nice, but sometimes nice doesn't work.
So how many people do you think that you've "brought to Jesus Christ" (for lack of a better phrase) by telling them that they're going to Hell if they don't believe the way you do? (I'm not talking about just on City-Data, but in real life, too.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 09:26 PM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,190,293 times
Reputation: 8260
I don't give a damn what any of you believe UNTIL you decide that your ancient superstition should effect me directly, as believers attempt to enforce their fantasies on everyone through laws.

Yes, I am not naive enough to think that it doesn't already, for this country has been destroyed by Bush and his mental illness where he believed the voices in his head were god telling him to be the first president in our history to start a war, a war that has bankrupted this country and because god told to

The stupidity exhibited is beyond my comprehension, and the fact that so many supported him in their willful stupidity simply because he played the 'god' card to lead this country of fools to our destruction.

Stupid people that refused to question this buffoon but follow like mindless sheep because he said "god told me to invade Iraq" share the responsibility for the destruction of the this country. The fatal blow has been delivered, the dying process is going to be long and painful, over a stupid superstition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 09:59 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,197,896 times
Reputation: 6657
I am willing to defend the Catholic faith, but I hope that I don't come across as any kind of hardcore preacher of it. Mostly I've always been uncomfortable with the idea of "converting" someone. That just strikes me as somehow arrogant. That I can change someone, that I personally in myself have that power. To be honest even if I could have that power I'd worry about having it. To an extent I'd rather someone never be Catholic, or Christian in general, than that they join it only to leave it and badmouth it. The most I might do on the "evangelism path" is if someone said they were interested in the faith I'd lend them books or let them observe a Mass if they asked to do so.

As for making "laws conform to my religion" I'm generally not interested in that. I'm certainly not for the US having laws against contraception, remarriage after a divorce, homosexuality, meat on Lenten Fridays, and other "sectarian" things. The problem though is that I find the "don't cram your laws" things to often be code for "don't let your religion have any influence once you leave the Church or your house" and I don't agree to that. In that I don't believe in an aggressively secularist state that bans all religious garments in public or forbids religious expression outside the Church or House. Although even worse than that is when the "making laws conform to your religion" is just an excuse to tarnish a movement or law they wouldn't like even if it was motivated by secularists. So on the Left they'll at least tolerate Martin Luther King Jr. or Cesar Chavez placing religion as a source of their outlook, but dislike someone on the Right doing so. Or if they're secular-Right they'll be okay with Christians using the Bible for their support of capital punishment, but dislike it if the same people allowed their faith to justify a "living wage."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 12,465,150 times
Reputation: 7377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I am willing to defend the Catholic faith, but I hope that I don't come across as any kind of hardcore preacher of it. Mostly I've always been uncomfortable with the idea of "converting" someone. That just strikes me as somehow arrogant. That I can change someone, that I personally in myself have that power. To be honest even if I could have that power I'd worry about having it. To an extent I'd rather someone never be Catholic, or Christian in general, than that they join it only to leave it and badmouth it. The most I might do on the "evangelism path" is if someone said they were interested in the faith I'd lend them books or let them observe a Mass if they asked to do so.

As for making "laws conform to my religion" I'm generally not interested in that. I'm certainly not for the US having laws against contraception, remarriage after a divorce, homosexuality, meat on Lenten Fridays, and other "sectarian" things. The problem though is that I find the "don't cram your laws" things to often be code for "don't let your religion have any influence once you leave the Church or your house" and I don't agree to that. In that I don't believe in an aggressively secularist state that bans all religious garments in public or forbids religious expression outside the Church or House. Although even worse than that is when the "making laws conform to your religion" is just an excuse to tarnish a movement or law they wouldn't like even if it was motivated by secularists. So on the Left they'll at least tolerate Martin Luther King Jr. or Cesar Chavez placing religion as a source of their outlook, but dislike someone on the Right doing so. Or if they're secular-Right they'll be okay with Christians using the Bible for their support of capital punishment, but dislike it if the same people allowed their faith to justify a "living wage."
Peace Thomas,

You and I seem to have very similar concepts regarding our beliefs on converting people. I do not feel a forced convert is worth having. You can not force sincerity upon a person, and if they are not sincere they have not converted. If a person sincerely seeks to convert, there is no need for force of any form. All we can do is offer our selves as reference sources to those seeking information. even then I feel we are obligated to tell any seeker to search all options and be certain they are making the right choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
7,879 posts, read 8,438,386 times
Reputation: 11463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So how many people do you think that you've "brought to Jesus Christ" (for lack of a better phrase) by telling them that they're going to Hell if they don't believe the way you do? (I'm not talking about just on City-Data, but in real life, too.)
More than someone who just smiles and says nothing. Moderator cut: edit I never use the H word. No need. Everyone knows about said matter. I tend to focus on being in relationship with God.

My battle is with atheists. Not the average Theist or Christian Joe or Jane. Let's be honest. You don't like me. That's fine. We both know why.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-06-2011 at 07:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:26 AM.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top