Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 10:11 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Please tell me you are being facetious.

If I came from Europeans, why are there still Europeans?

...or my personal favorite

If we came from dust, why is there still dust?
Because dust is still dust, but chimps are different than humans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 10:13 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
Why is it that science can't even combine species? Because we didn't come from the same cell.
*smacks head*

I love this line of reasoning; reality is determined by that which can be duplicated by man.

Before the Wright Brothers, powered flight was physically impossible.
Since science cannot create nuclear fusion, our sun doesn't exist.
Since science cannot cure lukemia, lukemia is uncurable.
Since I don't understand quantum physics, subatomic particles don't exist.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
*smacks head*

I love this line of reasoning; reality is determined by that which can be duplicated by man.

Before the Wright Brothers, powered flight was physically impossible.
Since science cannot create nuclear fusion, our sun doesn't exist.
Since science cannot cure lukemia, lukemia is uncurable.
Since I don't understand quantum physics, subatomic particles don't exist.
And since man can't disprove the existance of God, He must therefore exist?

Old 08-17-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Because dust is still dust, but chimps are different than humans?
No, because chimps are still chimps, but dust is different than humans.

(I assume you are aware that the theory of evolution doesn't claim that modern humans evolved from modern chimps. Also FYI, evolution is a branching tree, not a ladder.)

Old 08-17-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
No, because chimps are still chimps, but dust is different than humans.

(I assume you are aware that the theory of evolution doesn't claim that modern humans evolved from modern chimps. Also FYI, evolution is a branching tree, not a ladder.)
Yes, and I am aware of how it keeps changing, as man's discovers new things. Which tells me that mankind's intelligence and understanding of the universe we live in has not reached it's pinnacle. I therefore conclude that it would be laughably idiotic to accept all knowledge regarding the beginnings of mankind as absolute fact. The ladder keeps changing...to a tree...to more like a bush...

Old 08-17-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Yes, and I am aware of how it keeps changing, as man's discovers new things. Which tells me that mankind's intelligence and understanding of the universe we live in has not reached it's pinnacle. I therefore conclude that it would be laughably idiotic to accept all knowledge regarding the beginnings of mankind as absolute fact.
Yet, so many people reject this particular aspect of knowledge in favor of faith. Do you think it's idiotic to accept quantum physics as fact? If so, I suggest you stop typing on an instrument that relies on this knowledge to operate.

Did you feel this way in school, personally? That is; since you had not reached the pinnacle of understanding mathematics, did you reject arithemetic because you had not yet understood geometry?
Quote:
The ladder keeps changing...to a tree...to more like a bush...
False. The theory of evolution has never been a ladder.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Yet, so many people reject this particular aspect of knowledge in favor of faith. Do you think it's idiotic to accept quantum physics as fact? If so, I suggest you stop typing on an instrument that relies on this knowledge to operate.
Belief in something is not required for it to exist. I believe in science, as far as I can see and touch and verify what is being said. And I even believe in it for some things we cannot.

But no one alive was around to see how we came into existence, and no one alive has seen evolution in humans or animals. So no, when it comes to something as uncertain as the beginnings of life as we know it, I don't feel it illogical to question what is obviously and logically CONJECTURE on everyone's part. I am not a young earth creationist either. And frankly, I tend to see evolution as the way that God created. IMO of course.

Quote:
Did you feel this way in school, personally? That is; since you had not reached the pinnacle of understanding mathematics, did you reject arithemetic because you had not yet understood geometry?
Of course not. But I can verify math, I can see it on the page in front of me and I can work the problem.

Quote:
False. The theory of evolution has never been a ladder.
The original theory was like a ladder, and has been changed.

Really, I'm playing devil's advocate here. I think that evolution is probably factual.

But I think it arrogant to think we KNOW something about our beginnings, when this knowledge keeps changing...that logically makes the last thing we KNEW to be incorrect.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Belief in something is not required for it to exist. I believe in science, as far as I can see and touch and verify what is being said. And I even believe in it for some things we cannot.

But no one alive was around to see how we came into existence, and no one alive has seen evolution in humans or animals. So no, when it comes to something as uncertain as the beginnings of life as we know it, I don't feel it illogical to question what is obviously and logically CONJECTURE on everyone's part. I am not a young earth creationist either. And frankly, I tend to see evolution as the way that God created. IMO of course.
Direct observance of an event is not necessary to determine what caused the event. If Barry Bonds is at the plate with the bases loaded, the Giants scoreline reads 3 7 0, the opponent's scoreline reads 2 3 1, you go to the bathroom, and when you return, the bases are empty, the batter behind Barry Bonds is at the plate, the Giants scoreline reads 7 8 0, the opponent's line remains unchanged, tell me what just happened?

Quote:
Of course not. But I can verify math, I can see it on the page in front of me and I can work the problem.
Evolution is verifiable. You can see the fossils. You can study the DNA. Ever heard of ERVs, Jeff? Please explain endogenous retroviral insertions (ERVs) without using evolution.

Quote:
The original theory was like a ladder, and has been changed.
Utterly false, as I stated. Darwin proposed common descent in his 1859 book, On the Origin of Species.

Quote:
Really, I'm playing devil's advocate here.
No problem.
Quote:
I think that evolution is probably factual.
That's encouraging.

Quote:
But I think it arrogant to think we KNOW something about our beginnings, when this knowledge keeps changing...that logically makes the last thing we KNEW to be incorrect.
We know what we know. It is not arrogant to accept present knowledge. What is arrogant is to insist one has hold of Truth, in spite of a lack of any evidence whatsoever or any evidence to the contrary.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:39 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
...What is arrogant is to insist one has hold of Truth, in spite of a lack of any evidence whatsoever or any evidence to the contrary.
...."

True, very true. But that doesn't stop people from believing what they want to believe. I think they get comfort from it. I don't think it's arrogance. It's just very important to them that the support they get is firm and unchanging.

I remember getting into an actual hair-pulling, fist fight with a little girl in the first grade over the existance of Santa Clause. She kept telling me he wasn't real. I maintain that I knew he was TRUE because that's what I was told at home. No proof either for or against, but I had never stopped to really look at it. I believed only what I wanted to believe.

That's the way I think a lot of our truth seekers think. "I believe because I need to believe."

Old 08-17-2007, 11:41 AM

740 posts, read 2,013,735 times
Quote:
Please tell me you are being facetious.

If I came from Europeans, why are there still Europeans?

...or my personal favorite

If we came from dust, why is there still dust?

Ok... nvx... I guess a better way to fraise it would be to ask why there are not any mixtures running around? Half man/half chimp? Or a chimp that resembles a man and or visa versa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality