Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:57 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
LOL...

...searching is what brought me to where I am now. There IS no evidence for the validity of god, prayer, miracles, or anything else supernatural. Not. One. Single. Shred.

EVER.

'Faith' is a crock. Faith is what one has when they are too lazy or too afraid to find out the real answers. Faith is an excuse. Faith is belief despite and perhaps because of the lack of evidence. Faith is for sheeple.
And that is fine. As long as your choices of your own free will and you have verified what you believe or do not believe, It is none of my business..

I am not going to try to convince you of anything. I hope everybody simply takes the time to verify all things from as many sources as possible. Blind Faith and Blind Disbelief are both blind. Nothing should be taken as truth unless a person has verified to themselves it is true and never stop verifying all things in life.

I only pray that you have taken the time to investigate and verify your choices. That is all anybody can ask of another person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 06:08 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
The content of prayers...

Janis Joplin - Mercedes Benz - YouTube

gimmy.... gimmy.... gimmy.....

Old 08-31-2011, 07:55 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
I was at work yesterday, when someone brought in a subscription form for the state lottery. A major discussion about winning lotteries ensued, and one of my coworkers declared that he was going to pray for a big win. That somehow cheapens the value of prayers, don't you think? (On the other hand, professional athletes regularly pray for Divine help in winning, so I guess the process started quite a while ago).

Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times
My Aunt used to boast and brag and insist that she was "buddy-buddy" with Saint Jude. (My Aunt was Catholic.)...One time my husband and I had to drive through a bad storm to get to a holiday dinner at my parent's house. When we got there my Aunt insisted that her prayers to Saint Jude kept us safe on our drive. I piped in and said: "We got here safely because we took it slow and easy."

Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I was at work yesterday, when someone brought in a subscription form for the state lottery. A major discussion about winning lotteries ensued, and one of my coworkers declared that he was going to pray for a big win. That somehow cheapens the value of prayers, don't you think? (On the other hand, professional athletes regularly pray for Divine help in winning, so I guess the process started quite a while ago).
Sadly many people do that. I do not believe we will necessarily get what we want but will get is best for us. Some times we may not even like what is best for us. To me it is selfish and possibly even arrogant to pray for that which we should do or earn with our own abilities.

I like the story of the man and the flood.

A pious man lived out in the woods near a river. One day a man in a jeep came to his cabin and said "You better leave, a storm is coming and the river may flood." The pious man smiled and said " I have faith in my prayers and the Lord will care for me."

The rain came and the river started to rise and a van came by. the driver hollered out "Get in the Van, there is going to be a flood and we are evacuating the area. The pious man smiled and said " I have faith in my prayers and the Lord will care for me."

The water reached his door. A man in a boat came by and shouted "Save yourself get in the boat." The pious man smiled and said " I have faith in my prayers and the Lord will care for me."

The water got higher and the man climbed up on his roof. A helicopter came by and hovered over his. A rope was thrown to him a man shouted "Grab the rope, before you drown" The pious man smiled and said " I have faith in my prayers and the Lord will care for me."

The man drowned

In his grave he asked "Lord, why did you let me drown. I had faith you would save me.?" A voice answered "I sent you a warning, a rescue van, a boat and even a helicopter, you turned them all down"

Old 08-31-2011, 08:44 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Your state lootery has a subscription option

It's a good thing there is no god, for it would be so overwhelmed with all the greedy little people and their constant gimmy gimmy gimmy it would again loose it's cool and remove this planet from the known universe in an instant.

I don't play our state lootery, not because I feel disadvantaged for not having an invisible friend to ask for a little 'inside help', but because I pretty good at math.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:11 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I think you know there's not reproducible, scientific evidence that any prayer ever has been answered. Why oh why do atheists repetitively, redundantly, over and over, non-stop, issue the same challenge, knowing in advance there's no such proof.
Do you think it's unreasonable to ask for reproducible proof of something before we can believe it?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:56 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times
Growing up as a Catholic my prayers seemed to be centered on "thanking God" or "praising God" etc...My parents were devout Catholics but they didn't believe in asking God for help with problems or asking for material possessions etc...They felt that it was their "job" and their responsibility to find solutions to problems and this is what they taught me to do too...This was a "good thing" because it made me self-reliant. And I was able to function just fine when I left the Catholic church.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:26 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

I only pray that you have taken the time to investigate and verify your choices. That is all anybody can ask of another person.
Talking to yourself with your eyes closed and pleading with yourself that I decide to change my mind and become like you is futile.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Talking to yourself with your eyes closed and pleading with yourself that I decide to change my mind and become like you is futile.
That is a relief to read. One like me is too many as it is.

BTW us Muslims usually do not not close our eyes while praying. We don't fold our hands either.

May you have a prosperous life and enjoy what the world has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality