U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-30-2011, 11:36 AM

4,032 posts, read 2,475,916 times
Default The content of prayers...

I'm sure that each side says a prayer to "their diety" before they go into a war...Some people pray to end world hunger and other people pray for a raise or promotion ...One of my well-to-do cousins asked everyone in the family to pray that her second child would be a girl. (Since she already had a son.)...I thought it might be interesting to start a discussion about the "content" of prayers. What do you think? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 12:11 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,242,235 times
Nope, but cuss the fool that got us into the war.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Status: "Trying to sell a smart-aleck cat" (set 3 days ago)

9,573 posts, read 3,329,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I'm sure that each side says a prayer to "their diety" before they go into a war...Some people pray to end world hunger and other people pray for a raise or promotion ...One of my well-to-do cousins asked everyone in the family to pray that her second child would be a girl. (Since she already had a son.)...I thought it might be interesting to start a discussion about the "content" of prayers. What do you think? Thanks!
I hope you don't mind if I introduce the Islamic concept of prayer here and the how, why and types of prayers we have.

The life of a Muslim is one centered on prayer. We see all we do, think or say as a prayer. Many already know we have 5 obligatory prayers we say daily. While each differ, we essentially say the same 5 daily. Depending on the prayer they last from 5 to 30 minutes each. These are called Salah (or the plural Salat) and we do these out of obedience.

I have put the 5 up on my website. For the interested, you may see them here:

Salat

In addition we have our personal prayers called Du'a these are personal and can be said in any language at any time, typical du'as would be prayers of thanks, asking of forgiveness, asking for healing, asking for world peace, giving praise to Allaah(swt), asking for strength to face hardships, etc.

We also have specific Du'as we say for almost every conceivable occurrence, even the day-to-day routine activities. some examples:

DU'A AT THE TIME OF DISTRESS
"Has -bi -yal-laa-hu wa ni'- mal wa-keel".
Allah (SWT) is sufficient for me and He is the Best Helper.

DU'A BEFORE SLEEPING

"Allahumma bismika amuutu wa ahyaa".
O Allah (SWT)! With your name I die and I live.

DU'A AFTER WAKING UP

"Alhamdulillaahillazi ahyaanaa ba'da maa amaata-naa wa ilaihinnushuur".
All praise to Allah (SWT), Who revived us to life after givening us death, and to him we shall have to return.

DU'A IN THANKFULNESS

"Yaa rabbil lakal"hamdu kama yanbaghii lijalaali wajhika, wa'aziimi sultaanik."
O my Lord, all praises be to You as it should be due to Your Might and the Greatness of Your Power.

DU'A IN APPRECIATION OF OTHER'S KINDNESS

"Jazaakallaahu khairaa."
May Allah (SWT) return your kindness.

DU'A FOR PARENTS

"Rabbighfir lii wa liwaalidayya wa lilmu"miniina yauma yaquumul'hisaab, Rabbirhamhumaa kamaa rabbayaanii shaghiiraa."
O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they have nourished me when I was young.

DU'A BEFORE STUDYING

"Allaahumma infa'nii bimaa 'allamtanii wa'allimnii maa yanfa'unii."
O my Lord, make useful for me what you hath taught me and teach me knowledge that will be useful to me.

DU'A FOR KNOWLEDGE

"Rabbi Zid-Nee 'iL-Maa"
My Lord, increase me in Knowledge.

Then we have very many short supplications that become almost automatic. Although we should do our best to keep them in our conscious thoughts and not simply habit.

Lastly we begin everything we do with the words:

Bismillah ir Rahman ir Raheem

Meaning "In the Name of Allaah, the provider of all, the most merciful of all"

We are to keep in mind that each thing we do should be seen as a prayer and reflect praise for Allaah(swt)

To us Muslims all we do is a pray and we should be mindful that as a prayer our actions and words should not be that which would be offensive.

But we are human and fall short. So we often find ourselves saying "Astagfirullah" (May Allaah Forgive Me)

Old 08-30-2011, 02:12 PM

4,032 posts, read 2,475,916 times
Woodrow LI..Thanks for the info about your faith and prayers and your life of prayer.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:50 PM

6,040 posts, read 5,519,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Prayer: talking to yourself.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Prayer: talking to yourself.
Not really. Even the words of non-believers are heard although they may not know it or even want them to be heard.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Not really. Even the words of non-believers are heard although they may not know it or even want them to be heard.
Show me valid, reproducible scientific evidence that any prayer ever has been answered and I'll reconsider my stance that it's all just talking to yourself.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Show me valid, reproducible scientific evidence that any prayer ever has been answered and I'll reconsider my stance that it's all just talking to yourself.
If you need to be led.you will never believe.

You have to search and find on your own. A person can only be sincere about what they find and verify through their own searching. All I or anyone else can do is answer any questions if asked.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 PM

4,345 posts, read 1,041,888 times
Quote:
I think you know there's not reproducible, scientific evidence that any prayer ever has been answered. Why oh why do atheists repetitively, redundantly, over and over, non-stop, issue the same challenge, knowing in advance there's no such proof.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
If you need to be led.you will never believe.
You have to search and find on your own. A person can only be sincere about what they find and verify through their own searching. All I or anyone else can do is answer any questions if asked.
LOL...

...searching is what brought me to where I am now. There IS no evidence for the validity of god, prayer, miracles, or anything else supernatural. Not. One. Single. Shred.

EVER.

'Faith' is a crock. Faith is what one has when they are too lazy or too afraid to find out the real answers. Faith is an excuse. Faith is belief despite and perhaps because of the lack of evidence. Faith is for sheeple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality