Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:21 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Spoken like somebody from "Gods Country"..

Too bad for the rest of us I guess..
Yep, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 03:37 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Yep, I guess.
Nice..

Does living in God's country put one closer to God?

Old 08-16-2007, 03:46 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
Nice..

Does living in God's country put one closer to God?
Of course not.

I'm not sure what you mean by your posts, bigthirsty. All I meant by my post was that I think if someone sits there and watch a ball game and at the end there's some guy who's thanking God for his success on the field, and it offends that same someone. I think it shows that there's some level of 'I'm just looking for something to complain about' in that person's attitude.

Unless the person is blatantly un-guided by God, like arguy and mams has said, then why is it a problem that someone thanks God. Also, if you watch much sports, many times the folks on the losing team thank God as well. John Casey has done that numerous times. When you're a believer, you praise God in all seasons, not just the ones that 'feel good'.

Sorry if you think I'm trying to be haughty, I certainly don't mean it that way. Perhaps I should stay clear of all these in depth OPs you're starting.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:38 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
I think some entertainers and athletes thank God because they think it's what most people want to hear and it makes them "look good". Their lifestyle does not always match up with this and this annoys me.

I wish I loved in God's country....it's gorgeous there

Old 08-16-2007, 07:21 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I think some entertainers and athletes thank God because they think it's what most people want to hear and it makes them "look good". Their lifestyle does not always match up with this and this annoys me.

I wish I loved in God's country....it's gorgeous there
ILNC, I wish I loved in God's country as well, wait a dang minute, girl, don'tchaknow, we do love in God's country. :

Sorry, I just had to tease. You can pay me back, honestly.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:31 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
ILNC, I wish I loved in God's country as well, wait a dang minute, girl, don'tchaknow, we do love in God's country. :

Sorry, I just had to tease. You can pay me back, honestly.
Yea, today I thought I was going to need an ark

Old 08-16-2007, 07:33 PM

679 posts, read 1,439,604 times
Does anyone remember several years ago when Randall Cunningham made a big comeback in Minnesota? All season long it was god this and god that and thank god and it was god's will and so one. Well in the championship game the Vikings lost. I would have paid good money for SOMEONE to go up to him on the field after the game and ask, "so Randall, where was your god today?"
You KNOW who would have gotten the credit if they won, so....

Old 08-16-2007, 10:01 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,237,938 times
Default Nope

Quote:
Does it annoy you when a football player or some other athlete on TV thanks God for letting him/her win.

I mean what about the other team.. did God want them to lose...
What does annoy me is when I can read their lips and they take the Lords name in vain.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:02 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
So, god can guide a football to the hands of a receiver, but can't be bothered to stop the genocide in darfur?

seems like either god doesn't exist, doesn't care about genocide, or really, really likes football.
According to Notre Dame tradition, God doesn't like football, but his mother does.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:59 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
seems like either god doesn't exist, doesn't care about genocide, or really, really likes football.
Yes, when in Texas God really, really likes football and has occasionally been witnessed in the winning locker room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality