Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:31 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,315 times

Advertisements

I think it is completely annoying. When you see Britney Spears thanking God for that aweful and pathetic jingle that won her a grammy, made her millions whilst people all over the world suffer...
Yes, thank God for your talentless and poor example setting to the next generation. Why do some celebs think that God actually takes an interest in their materialistic lifestyles whilst ignoring how unfortunate and painful other human beings lives can be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 01:27 PM

799 posts, read 2,168,780 times
Ian,
I agree...like the girl who prayed for new prom shoes and got them (from god) and the POWs who were daily tortured in Vietnam who screamed out to God and were not helped.
People fabricate this stuff up, because they feel guilty they got something, so they try to make it noble by claiming it was God's Will, somehow, they somehow deserved it.
It's all a mental disorder. If God is good, how come good people suffer? (You'll get the "God didnt promise us a rose garden" answer every time.)

Old 08-19-2007, 01:39 PM

679 posts, read 1,439,604 times
What about people who claim to be healed by their god?

I'll tell you what's apparently beyond healing - loss of limbs. There have been claims of healing for numerous afflictions, but never anyone getting a limb back.

So the two clear things that are beyond the judeo-christian god - restoring lost limbs and iron chariots.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:46 PM

Philly,
Healings are always ambiguous. I haven't heard one medical doctor come out and declare something is a miracle.
All I have heard are hokey stories like "God works in mysterious ways" and the story about the surgeon who opened up a boy's chest and saw Jesus' face on the boy's heart. What would ever be the purpose of that? Is God a jokester? Why wouldn't this God save the poor kid from open heart surgery in the first place?

Old 08-19-2007, 02:03 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,163,499 times
It doesn't bother me - I think it's over used in some instances.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:08 PM

679 posts, read 1,439,604 times
I brought up the limbs thing because no matter what, a theist can figure out how to credit their god for something. The prayer saved them, their god directly saved them, their god worked through the surgeon to save them, etc. When faced with the irrefutable, that no one has had a limb come back, then there's no way you can work a deity into the mix, unless saying he doesn't do limbs or the catch all, "he works in mysterious ways".

As for appearing on a heart, well, that is funky but there's all kinds of appearances reported, from tree bark to burnt toast. I wrote something about that recently in my blog. Of course the appearances are never too clear (is it Jesus or Grizzly Adams) but recently near me someone had a very clear image - they sliced open an eggplant and the seeds spelled "god". Lucky that eggplant showed up where people read English. Of course making an eggplant appear where people are starving might have been a cooler trick.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:04 PM

Philly, you have me laughing, that's funny....
Yes, it is all perception.
I remember when I was raised as a Catholic, we were told some girls had Mary appear to them at Fatima. This was hailed as a huge miracle, and some letter was given to them, which was then turned over to the Pope which contained some big secret for mankind. Many projected the letter might foretell the day of the end of the world, a cure for cancer, etc. Well, we never heard what was in the letter, and the whole thing went cold for years. Then, I investigated it as an adult. The letter contained ("drumroll, Paul, please....") the date of the death of a pope. <Insert dumbfounded disappointed look>
Is God a jokester?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality