Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Religion need to fear scientific facts?
No 8 38.10%
Yes 9 42.86%
Outlaw science 0 0%
Outlaw Religion 1 4.76%
Who Cares? 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 05:37 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times

Advertisements

I am of the belief that truth need not fear anything. Proven Scientific facts and true religious beliefs should not conflict.

The only time there will be conflict is if one is not understood or is false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 05:44 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I am of the belief that truth need not fear anything. Proven Scientific facts and true religious beliefs should not conflict.

Hasn't been an issue for me or most Christians.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:52 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
But don't you know that us Christians reject science in favor of the belief that the Earth is 6,000 years old and the Sun revolves around it? Or that science has disproven the afterlife and created an ethical system better than any religion? I mean don't you pay attention

Old 08-31-2011, 05:58 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,500,690 times
Science will tell you the mind is completely explained by the brain.

When the brain stops working you will no longer have sapient thought. You will not be able to see because the devices normally used to capture the electromagnetic waves through a series of photosensitive rods and cons will degrade and no longer be able to send those signals to your brain for interpretation.

You will no longer have long term memory, because is completely dependent upon a working brain, as is your short term memory and your ability to reason. You language ability is also dependent upon a functioning brain, as is your ability to be self-aware.

As per the above, when you die you will no longer have a way of experiencing the world around your, of having memories or rational thoughts.

If your religion tells you those things are true, then it has nothing to fear from science.

But if your religion tells you that there are omnipotent beings that can invalidate every single known rule of science, that you will be sapient beyond the functional lifespan of your brain, or that you will be able to experience the world after you die, then your religion and science conflict.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post

When the brain stops working you will no longer have sapient thought. You will not be able to see because the devices normally used to capture the electromagnetic waves through a series of photosensitive rods and cons will degrade and no longer be able to send those signals to your brain for interpretation.

You will no longer have long term memory, because is completely dependent upon a working brain, as is your short term memory and your ability to reason. You language ability is also dependent upon a functioning brain, as is your ability to be self-aware.

As per the above, when you die you will no longer have a way of experiencing the world around your, of having memories or rational thoughts.

If your religion tells you those things are true, then it has nothing to fear from science.

But if your religion tells you that there are omnipotent beings that can invalidate every single known rule of science, that you will be sapient beyond the functional lifespan of your brain, or that you will be able to experience the world after you die, then your religion and science conflict.
I should have added another option to the poll

6. Science needs to fear religion.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:36 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,069 times
Default Only one answer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Hasn't been an issue for me or most Christians.
.................................................. .........

Woodrow, I'm pretty sure you're asking a really loaded question here....

.................................................. ...........................

Old 08-31-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
.................................................. .........

Woodrow, I'm pretty sure you're asking a really loaded question here....

.................................................. ...........................
Only semi loaded. I'm just curious to see how many of the young earth people we have here.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:57 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post

Science isn't necessarily the same as scientism. Science is the study and explanation of natural phenomenon through a trial-and-error method.

What you're talking about is closer to scientism. The belief that everything is nature and that science is the only source of objective knowledge.

It's a common confusion. But yes Scientism obviously conflicts with most every religion. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, even in sarcasm.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:04 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,678,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

There is a reason most religions fight so hard against scientific advances and evidence:

Sam Harris: Science Must Destroy Religion

Old 09-01-2011, 03:46 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
But don't you know that us Christians reject science in favor of the belief that the Earth is 6,000 years old and the Sun revolves around it? Or that science has disproven the afterlife and created an ethical system better than any religion? I mean don't you pay attention
After reading that terror -stricken attempt to laugh off the very real doubts that Science (and logical reasoning) has raised about Bible belief and Christianity and religion and theism, I am going to change my mind about not bothering with the poll and make that an unequivocal 'Yes'. It has a great deal to fear.

If it was true, of course, it would have nothing whatsoever to fear.

That there is this deep - seated fear it seems, even in the most admirably reasonable of theists, I can only assume that they really know, deep down inside, that it isn't true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality