U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 08:24 PM

3,579 posts, read 2,648,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24
In other words, to illustrate the error of supposing that certain beliefs or elements in one's world view that cannot be empirically proved via the scientific method should logically be disqualified from consideration.
That's because the scientific method isn't about proof. It is about evidence/data and the interpretation of that evidence/data. I can't prove to you that the theory of evolution is correct. But there is tons of evidence that supports its factual basis. I can't prove to you whether or not God exists, but then there is no scientific evidence that God exists, either.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:37 PM

37,517 posts, read 25,250,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
That's because the scientific method isn't about proof. It is about evidence/data and the interpretation of that evidence/data. I can't prove to you that the theory of evolution is correct. But there is tons of evidence that supports its factual basis. I can't prove to you whether or not God exists, but then there is no scientific evidence that God exists, either.
That is so much hogwash . . . all the evidence for your no-God "Nature and natural" equally supports God. You do not have any more scientific explanation for the inscrutable and powerful attributes of your no God "Nature" than we do for God. Stop this insane pretense of no evidence for God.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is so much hogwash . . . all the evidence for your no-God "Nature and natural" equally supports God. You do not have any more scientific explanation for the inscrutable and powerful attributes of your no God "Nature" than we do for God. Stop this insane pretense of no evidence for God.
Really? So if a bunsen burner goes out apparently all by itself, it is just as likely that "God did it" than that there was a breaze that blew through the room and blew it out, or that the janiter turned the gas off? Mystic, just because something is unexplained doesn't mean that it is unexplainable. "God did it" doesn't actually explain anything. However, the laws of physics certain do explain a lot. Did God create rainbows, or are they merely the dispersion of light into its electromagnetic component parts as it shines through droplets of water in the sky, a readily explainable concept that any 6 year old can demonstrate?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Really? So if a bunsen burner goes out apparently all by itself, it is just as likely that "God did it" than that there was a breaze that blew through the room and blew it out, or that the janiter turned the gas off? Mystic, just because something is unexplained doesn't mean that it is unexplainable. "God did it" doesn't actually explain anything. However, the laws of physics certain do explain a lot. Did God create rainbows, or are they merely the dispersion of light into its electromagnetic component parts as it shines through droplets of water in the sky, a readily explainable concept that any 6 year old can demonstrate?
Attributing the Source of everything that we call "Nature" to God does NOT require that we abandon our understanding of HOW God has designed things to be. There is NO SCIENTIFIC BASIS for the claim that there is No God involved simply because we know HOW things work in God's reality. That is the insidious implication that the schism between science and religion has produced. It is NOT scientific and it is not acceptable.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Attributing the Source of everything that we call "Nature" to God does NOT require that we abandon our understanding of HOW God has designed things to be. There is NO SCIENTIFIC BASIS for the claim that there is No God involved simply because we know HOW things work in God's reality. That is the insidious implication that the schism between science and religion has produced. It is NOT scientific and it is not acceptable.
Really? And how has God designed things to be? And please be scientific about it, since you are insisting that we be scientific.

Before you respond, consider this. There is no scientific basis for the claim that there IS a god. Indeed, there can be no scientific evidence for the existence of god, because said revelation is, by its very nature, first person. As such, no one is under any obligation to believe one person's personal revelation over anothers. One must concede, however, that if we repeatedly release a ball from our hands within the gravity field of the earth and it repeatedly falls to the ground, then there is a natural force that we can describe in mathematical detail that causes the ball to act in such a manner. Throwing up our hands and saying "god did it" simply doesn't explain it. Now, have at it.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Really? And how has God designed things to be? And please be scientific about it, since you are insisting that we be scientific.
Before you respond, consider this. There is no scientific basis for the claim that there IS a god. Indeed, there can be no scientific evidence for the existence of god, because said revelation is, by its very nature, first person. As such, no one is under any obligation to believe one person's personal revelation over anothers. One must concede, however, that if we repeatedly release a ball from our hands within the gravity field of the earth and it repeatedly falls to the ground, then there is a natural force that we can describe in mathematical detail that causes the ball to act in such a manner. Throwing up our hands and saying "god did it" simply doesn't explain it. Now, have at it.
Have you paid attention to any of my 11,000+ posts? When you can tell me what "Nature" IS comprised of scientifically . . . what is the source of its "laws," constants, physical and chemical processes . . . what is the source of life . . . what is the source of consciousness . . . what is the source of RNA/DNA and the code sequences within it, etc. . . . then you can dismiss God as unnecessary. ((BTW . . What IS Gravity comprised of scientifically?)

Old 09-06-2011, 09:37 PM

697 posts, read 879,022 times
Science has it's limitations

Apparently, so does grammar.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
Science has it's limitations

Apparently, so does grammar.
LOL . . . you mean you don't recognize the possessive it?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Have you paid attention to any of my 11,000+ posts? When you can tell me what "Nature" IS comprised of scientifically . . . what is the source of its "laws," constants, physical and chemical processes . . . what is the source of life . . . what is the source of consciousness . . . what is the source of RNA/DNA and the code sequences within it, etc. . . . then you can dismiss God as unnecessary. ((BTW . . What IS Gravity comprised of scientifically?)
Have I paid attention to your 11,000+ posts? No.

Nature, in the broadest sense, is equivalent to the natural world, physical world, or material world. "Nature" refers to the phenomena of the physical world, and also to life in general. It ranges in scale from the subatomic to the cosmic.

What you are asking me to do is to pull you out of the god of the gaps. I'd love to do that for you, but only you can do that. And that, my friend, requires you to get a science education.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:49 AM

6,637 posts, read 3,862,507 times
Quote:
Have I paid attention to your 11,000+ posts? No.

Nature, in the broadest sense, is equivalent to the natural world, physical world, or material world. "Nature" refers to the phenomena of the physical world, and also to life in general. It ranges in scale from the subatomic to the cosmic.

What you are asking me to do is to pull you out of the god of the gaps. I'd love to do that for you, but only you can do that. And that, my friend, requires you to get a science education.
Here, dig on this oro:
There exists "something"...the empirical evidence is that matter and energy (and phenomena relative to that matter and energy) does, in fact, exist. Direct observation PROVES this to be an ABSOLUTE FACT.

We also KNOW OBJECTIVELY that "something" has the ability to further create, to establish the "laws" that control that which it has created, and it even provides what is necessary to maintain and sustain that creation. These are the KNOWN ATTRIBUTES of that "something"...not "speculated", not "believed", but objective and definitive, SCIENTIFICALLY proven attributes.

The basic attributes known to define a "God"...is to be able to create, control, maintain, and sustain matter and energy, completely through indigenous power without assistance or accomplice from any other force.

That aforementioned "something" has all those attributes...the primary being CREATOR.

Whatever other "label" that anyone wants to assign to that "something"...be it "Nature", "The Universe", "All that Exists", "Great Spirit", "Higher Power", etc...it IS a CREATOR...and it IS, by it's KNOWN attributes, definitively, a GOD.

Thus a CREATOR/GOD exists...and exists as that "Something", which is "Everything". Other "assigned attributes" that have been pinned on it, that are disputable/debatable not withstanding...A CREATOR/GOD EXISTS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality