U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-03-2011, 06:20 PM

23,024 posts, read 15,703,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Science has its limitations because human beings have limitations. Or are we gods already?
I don't know about you, but my dog thinks I am, and I value his opinion.

Unread 09-03-2011, 06:22 PM

2,705 posts, read 1,084,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I don't know about you, but my dog thinks I am, and I value his opinion.
What do you think of my analysis of the OP statement?

Unread 09-03-2011, 06:49 PM

14,292 posts, read 6,060,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Another "REALITY CHECK"!---Science is sooooooo "limited"...it's not even needed!!

ANNNNNNND (while I'm at it)...that would be the same for philosophy/religion!

Science is "nice". It "figures things out"...and that helps to satisfy our curiosity, and provide us with methods/processes/procedures and things that add to our convenience and comfort...and it helps us to extend our lifespan...but we don't really need science. Not as in "NEED" need.

That's how we ended up with all these "Gods" in the first place. Mankind didn't know what was really going on...so they cobbed up some hocus-pocus entities as a way to explain what they couldn't figure out.
But it's not like that lack of scientific knowledge ever put the species at risk of not making it. Man has made it for most of the time of existence without any real "scientific study/knowledge".

All things (except man), both "animal" and "vegetable", live on without ever having any scientific knowledge...or religious knowledge...or "worldview".

We don't "need" ANY of it---THAT'S how "limited" it all REALLY is!
It is possible to argue that we could manage without it and some people think that we might be better off without it.

For myself, I kinda like it.

Unread 09-03-2011, 06:53 PM

14,292 posts, read 6,060,113 times
Quote:
Science has its limitations because human beings have limitations. Or are we gods already?
Science goes beyond human limitations. Without it we would still believe that the earth is flat with a dome over it and every natural occurrence had an invisible being doing it.

We are far from being gods (when you look at their behaviour in the Holy Books, I'm rather glad of it) and science doesn't make us gods. That is an accusation only heard from Theists trying to make us ashamed of finding out how things work and not being bound by the hand that evolution dealt us. You do that, too and gladly, I have no doubt.

Unread 09-03-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Do you mean this? Not a lot because through the tools that science has available those human "limitations" are constantly being extended. For instance read about the recent discoveries made by the Mars rover discovery.

Unread 09-04-2011, 03:19 AM

9,980 posts, read 6,094,369 times
Quote:
Yup. I guess we can all go back to rubbing sticks together to start a fire....No wait....That is science too!
Exactly!
Is this plant safe to eat or will it kill me?
Observation/trial and error/testing/learning....'science'....been around forever.
Even dogs use it.

Unread 09-04-2011, 09:22 AM

9,621 posts, read 5,921,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You answer your own question without realizing it, rifle. Measurability in science is currently limited to baryons . . . even the LHC is looking for some evidence of the Higgs . . . despite early collider evidence suggesting a perfect fluid is the basis of our vibratory energy reality. The fact that baryons comprise less than 5% of our reality . . . that is a significant limitation on discovery of the other 95%.
Yeah, but as with so many of our theories or hypotheses, it's a tantalizing bit of bait, huh? Better than the total absence of ANY bait for the existence of a God. I can hardly wait for the outcome of the HB search. I mean, as I KNOW you agree, SOMETHING is operating out there, and it's not all unrelated and incompatible non-laws.

I know, I know; it's those the intangible elements... which are currently based on so many wild-a$$p conflations of multiple misfitting elements, but we'll just ignore the rough edges that have to be knocked off before we can... uhhm... (sounds of pushing & panting and shoving and...oooppps... finger injuries...) ...push these elements ...(ouch!) into some sort of semi-completed (but odd-looking) puzzle.

"Oh look! it's even beginning to look, sort of.... like a picture of God! A bit fuzzy, but we'll ignore that, OK?"

(Your version also exists in all sorts of variations, depending on one's particular branch of Godly religion. Remember my recent commentary on one of your posts over on the Christianity sub, about in-fighting over there! Imagine that!)

At least when we empiricists find a particle or element in our search, they usually fit purty good with the overall hypothesis, huh? Such findings also show us that there's more to be found, and even possibly, where to best look.

Undt zo off we go! Into the wild blue yonder!

Peace, Mystic!

Unread 09-04-2011, 09:33 AM

9,621 posts, read 5,921,059 times
To Theophane and tigetmax24:

I ask you both again, simply enough:

What, praytell, are those limitations to the scientific method? Places where it cannot be applied or where it automatically provides an erroneous conclusion (since it does not require or define the conclusion first, unless it's a very bad design, and then other scientitsts will reject it out of hand.).

Now, to Gldn's point: I'd suggest that, yes, for us to have arrived alive to our current point in history, time & space, we had to have applied science, so that, at the very least, we could survive the huge global climate changes, and the lack of tools, else we'd still be picking nits out of each other's fur. Yum! And can you imagine a furry, orange-rumped table dancer, hunched over & grunting at the crowds of other apes.

( "Oh Please! DON'T take those skimpy panties off. Please!")

And those damned hostile gorillas! Always making trouble out behind the bar!

Scienctific investigation has resulted in our current "tribe", the sub-race of Homo erectus successfulus. You and I, Gldn!

Unread 09-04-2011, 09:43 AM

2,705 posts, read 1,084,258 times
Quote:
Do you mean this? Not a lot because through the tools that science has available those human "limitations" are constantly being extended. For instance read about the recent discoveries made by the Mars rover discovery.
Even the frontiers of discovery are defined by their limitations. Not necessarily intellectual ones, certainly not those of our imaginations. We're limited by what we can physically build and find and see. There's only so much money going into projects that push back the boundaries of human understanding. Ultimately, it's our own imperfections as a people that always hold us back from the greatness of godhood. Were it not for all our ignorance and stupidity and weakness, we'd have colonized the solar system by now.

Unread 09-04-2011, 10:18 AM

Colonized the solar system? You gotta be kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality