Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 05:55 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times

Advertisements

Us theists seem to have a knack for making our beliefs look foolish. Especially on forums and Message Boards. Over the past few years I have often seen these practices done. Sadly these same errors are done repeatedly.

I don't have 10 on my list. Perhaps some can suggest other errors we persist in making, to bring the list up to 10.

1. Demeaning a religion you disagree with.

This seems to be the most common error we make. Showing what you perceive as errors in another person's beliefs does not equate to meaning you are correct. It comes across as evidence you are prejudiced and a bigot.

2. Issuing the challenge to prove you are wrong.

We are the ones claiming to be true. A person disagreeing with us has no responsibility to prove we are wrong. The Burden is upon us to submit reason we believe we are correct. to do other wise only makes us look like we have no logical reason to believe what we believe.

3. Failure to distinguish between our opinion and what our belief says.

We all have opinions and we all are quick to express them. We even have opinions about what we believe our faith is. But if we fail to distinguish between our opinion and actual doctrine, we risk spreading error about our own faith. Sometimes our own opinion can be quite ridiculous.

4. Assuming everybody believes our source of proof is accepted as proof by all people

We have to come to an understanding that no matter how much we believe our scripture to be true, not everybody does. We need to accept we will often come across people that believe our scripture to be false, misleading and evil. These are the ones it is a waste of time to quote scripture to. to speak with people, One needs to speak in terms they accept.

5. Resorting to personal attacks against anyone who believes different from you.

It should be obvious that this only arouses anger and/or hurt feelings. It also comes across as ignorance as it means you do not have the knowledge to reply with facts and are limited to an emotional response.

6. Failing to see that just because a person disagrees with us, does not mean they are evil.

Us theists do have a tendency to come across as being arrogant and self righteous. We do come across as bigoted haters of all people except those who have views that do not differ from ours.

Reading across forums and boards, I am not surprised atheists laugh at us. Our debates and answers often come across as ridiculous. We also tend to be seen as robotic thinkers with no ability to think on our own. We do have the ability to change that view, simply by speaking without malice and understanding another person may not believe what we believe and know that they have reasons to believe as they do.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 09-04-2011 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: I meant do not differ, left out the do not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 06:53 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Well, I like what I'm reading so far........ makes a lot of sense...

Old 09-04-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Well, I like what I'm reading so far........ makes a lot of sense...
Thank You My Friend.

I'm simply pointing out that when we spend our time trying to tell others what is wrong about their beliefs, we fail to see we have not told what is good about our own and only leave the impression we do not know what is good about our own.

One can show a small hammer is able to smash a concrete wall, but that does not mean it can build a house.

I hope some will offer suggestions to bring this list up to ten or more. A little tolerance and willingness to disagree peacefully can make religious debates worth while.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:38 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Yeah, I always try the use what I call "Irish Diplomacy".... It's the ability to be able to tell a person to go to hell, and them looking forward to the trip.....

Old 09-04-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I always try the use what I call "Irish Diplomacy".... It's the ability to be able to tell a person to go to hell, and them looking forward to the trip.....
Gotta love the Irish.

Good point though. Disagreement can be done in a polite, tactfully manner.

That gives me #7

7. Disagreeing with others as a personal issue.

When we make our disagreement about another person's beliefs a personal issue, we often become what we dislike. It is not possible to force our beliefs upon another without it bringing up rejection, as we are asking a person to become what we are and we do not look to be very admirable. A personal disagreement, is just that-- personal. A reflection of an egotistical mind worthy only of ridicule.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:52 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,926 times
I think another one is to be certain about something it is not possible to know for certain.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:57 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,131,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Thank You My Friend.

I'm simply pointing out that when we spend our time trying to tell others what is wrong about their beliefs, we fail to see we have not told what is good about our own and only leave the impression we do not know what is good about our own.

One can show a small hammer is able to smash a concrete wall, but that does not mean it can build a house.

I hope some will offer suggestions to bring this list up to ten or more. A little tolerance and willingness to disagree peacefully can make religious debates worth while.
I like your list, Woodrow - & your purpose behind it. Causes me to reconsider my communication.
People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care.

2 more I'd add...
*Care about the person above any disagreements.
*Admit you're imperfect... realize how your psychology (study of the soul) is affecting the discussion.

In some ways, I see agnostics as more spiritual than both theists & atheists.
Agnostics don't claim to know what they don't know.
IMO, God is the searching & striving... without ever completely "arriving."
Yet, God is also the stillness... of being in the moment.
And God is also beyond words... just experiencing.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Well now, let's take a good look at this statement. You say there is but one god and that all others are false. So which one is false and which one isn't. I believe that my Creator is the true one for me, you say that your Christian god is the true one for you and Woodrow says that Allah is the true god for him. So what's to say that they're not all true or all false...
I believe you just agreed with me in pointing out we too often make the error of trying to prove the other person is wrong and fail to show why we believe as we do.

I feel it would be both foolish and disrespectful if I tried to prove your God(swt) or the Christian God(swt) to be false.

That is not even an issue if I do not show why I worship Allaah(swt) The responsibility is upon me to prove beyond doubt that Allaah(swt) is the true God(swt). From there it is each person's own responsibility to verify all things and make their decisions based upon what they themselves have proven and/or validated.

ADDED: Also as SuperSoul noted below, it is very probable we are worshiping the same creator but with different names and possibly even seeing different attributes of the same God(swt)

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 09-04-2011 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: Added note

Old 09-04-2011, 09:01 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,131,179 times
Quote:
Well now, let's take a good look at this statement. You say there is but one god and that all others are false. So which one is false and which one isn't. I believe that my Creator is the true one for me, you say that your Christian god is the true one for you and Woodrow says that Allah is the true god for him. So what's to say that they're not all true or all false...
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
-Shakespeare

Old 09-04-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I think another one is to be certain about something it is not possible to know for certain.
Good one Hueff,

That makes #8

8. Presenting what we believe as being absolute, without indisputable proof

While it is good to have total faith in the truth of what we believe, We only make ourselves look foolish if we present it as indisputable truth and offer nothing except we have faith it is true, Opinions are fine as long as we identify them as opinions and present reason for our opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality