Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 05:51 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It's not ok to hate on your fellow man. It is ok to know what's right and what's wrong. Those don't change.

Unfortunately, too many can't do the latter without doing the former.
Agrred. It's A character flaw of the entire human race.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:00 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
If you remove the obvious predujice of the bible from this question; and ask yourself whatelse condemns homosexuality, I wonder how long the list will be? The founding fathers of America? The Talmud. The New Worlds Translation by Jehovahs Witnesses. The boy scouts of America? Most African secular nations. Islam. And you know, I could keep going and construct a very long list of those who disagree with homosexuality; But I think the obvious purpose behind this post is not homosexuality, thats a " Catch fire term to grab attention to the " Other Lion" in this thread;

A gripe with the bible! Thats the other lion that they hope kills your thoughts.

So.....since everyone else is doing it that makes it OK?

And my "gripe" is bigotry hiding behind religion. And almost everything you listed is a religion. And I've not heard of any specific thoughts the Founding Fathers had regarding homosexuality.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:46 PM

694 posts, read 745,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
That's the nice thing about the bible, really. No matter what your agenda is, you can find some verse somewhere from that Moderator cut: orphaned book to match it.
Anyone who does this is missing the point of the Bible. That would be like taking US from the 17th century and saying that we can still have slaves because we did then, for example. Or, coversely, saying that what wasn't prohibited in the past is still not regardless of what the law is now. My favorite is when people use the "eye for an eye" line when they want to support their revenge urges. I suppose these people don't know, nor care, that Jesus reversed this in Mat 6 (6:18 or 19). I feel badly for you that you hate love and caring so much as to love only those who hate Christians, IF this is the case.

Charles Sands

Last edited by june 7th; 09-08-2011 at 09:59 AM..

Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
So.....since everyone else is doing it that makes it OK?

And my "gripe" is bigotry hiding behind religion. And almost everything you listed is a religion. And I've not heard of any specific thoughts the Founding Fathers had regarding homosexuality.
So, what you are saying is that it would be OK for me to be a bigot (which I am not) if I didn't like homosexuality for Non-Religious reasons?

Charles Sands

Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 PM

80 posts, read 108,528 times
To the original poster... That's frigging awesome! Well stated....,. Thank you!

Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
What part of the subjugation of women is loving others? What part of smashing babies' skulls open on rocks is loving others? What part of wiping out entire competing tribes is loving others? What part of owning slaves is loving others? What part of killing your children/parents/siblings is loving others? What part of forcing a rape victim to marry her rapist is loving others? What part of incest is loving others? What part of burning people alive is loving others? What part of drowning everyone in the world except for eight people is loving others?

What part of any of these things can even remotely be claimed as "loving others"? Only a complete psychopath can honestly claim that the bible is about love.
What you are saying here is that everything we do is an example of loving others? If anyone does anything that is not loving others, all the rules are invalid? The reason there are two testaments is to show how the rules for the world changed with the coming of Jesus. You seem to be taking the rules of humans, who certainly always follow what God wants , and coupling that with the idea that God is supposed to love us so much that He will overlook anything any of us do! ??? That's obsurd! Love does not mean you let anyone do anything they want without consequenes. You don't want the Bible to be about Love because you don't want to have to answer to anyone.

Charles Sands

Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
So, what you are saying is that it would be OK for me to be a bigot (which I am not) if I didn't like homosexuality for Non-Religious reasons?

Charles Sands

No, it would still be wrong but many think their intolerance is justifiable because their religion makes it so.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
What you are saying here is that everything we do is an example of loving others? If anyone does anything that is not loving others, all the rules are invalid? The reason there are two testaments is to show how the rules for the world changed with the coming of Jesus. You seem to be taking the rules of humans, who certainly always follow what God wants , and coupling that with the idea that God is supposed to love us so much that He will overlook anything any of us do! ??? That's obsurd! Love does not mean you let anyone do anything they want without consequenes. You don't want the Bible to be about Love because you don't want to have to answer to anyone.

Charles Sands

God didn't change the rules Man did. And they need to be changed again.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodoovalley View Post
To the original poster... That's frigging awesome! Well stated....,. Thank you!

Let me clear things up. I didn't actually write this letter. Nor did Mr. James M. Kauffman as the link suggested. Thanks anyway 5150. This thing has been kicking around the interweb for the last 8 years or so. I've had a copy of it on my computer for awhile so didn't feel the need to link to it. And as the author of this work is unknown........

http://drlauraletter.com/
http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/drlaura.asp

Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:

Charles Sands
Love means minding you own damned business, not condemning others who don't swallow your dogma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality