U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-07-2011, 11:38 AM
 
70 posts, read 206,405 times
Reputation: 70

Advertisements

Please forgive my ignorance. I keep seeing these words on the Forum and I don't know what they mean. The words are "Gnostic", "Theists", "Eloheim", and "Pretism". What do they mean?

Thanks,
Jeanette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2011, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 12,512,181 times
Reputation: 7377
Quote:
Originally Posted by isew4kidz View Post
Please forgive my ignorance. I keep seeing these words on the Forum and I don't know what they mean. The words are "Gnostic", "Theists", "Eloheim", and "Pretism". What do they mean?

Thanks,
Jeanette
"Gnostic",--Any early christian heresy that was considered a form of Mysticism. All of there gooks were deleted from the bible

"Theists", a Person who believes in at least one god

"Eloheim", An early Jewish name to designate G_D as the Jews believe it is forbidden to mention the name of G_D

"Pretism".The belief that all of the Prophecies in the Bible have already taken place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 04:59 PM
 
68 posts, read 20,161 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
"Gnostic",--Any early christian heresy that was considered a form of Mysticism. All of there gooks were deleted from the bible

"Theists", a Person who believes in at least one god

"Eloheim", An early Jewish name to designate G_D as the Jews believe it is forbidden to mention the name of G_D

"Pretism".The belief that all of the Prophecies in the Bible have already taken place.
Why is god written G_D?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 PM
 
34,473 posts, read 8,888,267 times
Reputation: 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmk422 View Post
Why is god written G_D?
It isn't.

god - any deity of any religion.

G-d personal designation of the god of the Bible with the middle letter left out as it is considered disrespectful (if not forbidden) to say or write the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 05:59 PM
 
68 posts, read 20,161 times
Reputation: 57
Here I thought it was disrespectful not to call someone by their name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 08:49 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,057,040 times
Reputation: 14878
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It isn't.

god - any deity of any religion.

G-d personal designation of the god of the Bible with the middle letter left out as it is considered disrespectful (if not forbidden) to say or write the name.
The problem arises from Judaic traditions that bar the defacing or desecrating the deities name. If you write god that item, paper, papyrus, a brick in your backyard can only be disposed of in a somewhat ritualistic manner. If you can not assure that the object where the word god appears will be properly disposed then the object should not be inscribe with the word god to begin with. How this affects electronic communications is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 12,512,181 times
Reputation: 7377
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmk422 View Post
Why is god written G_D?
For several reasons. Out of respect is the main reason. Secondary I really do not like to use God and when I am using it to refer to the one deity I will use either G_D or God(swt). My preference is to use Allaah(swt).

In this case I was referring to the word Elohim, so I felt it most appropriate to use G_D. There is no way in my thinking I can relate Elohim to God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 12:42 AM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,240,819 times
Reputation: 6657
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmk422 View Post
Here I thought it was disrespectful not to call someone by their name.
I think it's seen as "disrespectful" in the sense of being "in vain." That God should not to be called/named unless you "mean it." Otherwise you're just treating God's name as an interjection or like the name of a regular Joe. You are treating it lightly, without proper respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top