U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the right of a Muslim student to pray in public school?
Yes 30 62.50%
No 18 37.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 07:12 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,456,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
So, you are saying that you want to be just like the Muslim nations where people of certain religions are persecuted. You don't see an advantage to being "better" than they are?
This is the same person that claimed to be an atheist 6 days ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 07:47 PM

185 posts, read 146,335 times
Quote:
So, you are saying that you want to be just like the Muslim nations where people of certain religions are persecuted. You don't see an advantage to being "better" than they are?
Yes I want. The more tolerant we are, the more of our freedom and rights will be taken away. Many people bash Christians anyway, and by keeping our mouth shut won't help either.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:13 PM

7,367 posts, read 6,545,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I suspected all along.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:30 PM

19,463 posts, read 9,823,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
They are also claiming that the Germans should have finished the job in reference to Jews.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:03 PM
pdw

1,470 posts, read 1,877,239 times
Quote:
Exactly. The State should have no belief in any god. The State should be neutral, since it is supported by tax money from ALL religions or non-religions. Once you start appeasing all religions, school then turns into church. Of course, this would be nirvana for theists, where religion is taught and those pesky other subjects are minimized.
I wasn't being sarcastic. I truly believe this. Why does the state have to be anti-religion to be neutral. Allowing a decently-lengthed moment of silence in the morning and religious minorities a prayer room IS neutral. Not allowing this is anti-theist- NOT neutral. The school will still function as normally. Where I live, the moment of silence is not even long enough to say the Lord's Prayer. Allowing students a moment of reflection is very fair. Giving one prayer room for students to go to will take no time out of classes.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:06 AM

19,463 posts, read 9,823,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
Lie
I would pull it up, but some of your posts seem to be removed by the mods. I wonder why?

Old 06-11-2013, 07:48 AM

10,366 posts, read 10,436,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I wasn't being sarcastic. I truly believe this. Why does the state have to be anti-religion to be neutral. Allowing a decently-lengthed moment of silence in the morning and religious minorities a prayer room IS neutral. Not allowing this is anti-theist- NOT neutral. The school will still function as normally. Where I live, the moment of silence is not even long enough to say the Lord's Prayer. Allowing students a moment of reflection is very fair. Giving one prayer room for students to go to will take no time out of classes.
I think the issue that was posted is this: How can the government be neutral about religion while spending taxpayers' money building a prayer room? After you come up with an answer to that, explain how you're going to decide which religion gets to design the prayer room. I've leaning toward the Zoroastrians.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:28 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,164,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolegator View Post
Would you support with equal fervor the right of a Muslim student who goes to public school with your children to pray on a prayer rug in the direction of Mecca (called the salah) during school hours?

Just curious.
Yes. I do not think the child should be denied carrying out requirements of their religion. I remember when prayer was in schools. I also do not think the government/school should interfere with a student's appearance if elements are part of their religion. I think more tolerance would be built if people were not so ignorant and uneducated about other religions and cultures.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:56 PM
pdw

1,470 posts, read 1,877,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I think the issue that was posted is this: How can the government be neutral about religion while spending taxpayers' money building a prayer room? After you come up with an answer to that, explain how you're going to decide which religion gets to design the prayer room. I've leaning toward the Zoroastrians.

When did I say anything about building? I'm just talking about a quiet room students can go to when they need to pray. This wouldn't cost any money. There doesn't have to be any special design. Muslim students could bring a carpet from home that could be stored somewhere and they could bring it out when they need to pray, for example. No school is so overcrowded that they can't allow this.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:58 PM

10,366 posts, read 10,436,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
When did I say anything about building? I'm just talking about a quiet room students can go to when they need to pray. This wouldn't cost any money. There doesn't have to be any special design. Muslim students could bring a carpet from home that could be stored somewhere and they could bring it out when they need to pray, for example. No school is so overcrowded that they can't allow this.
If you put it in one school, you'll have to put it in all of them. Not every school has a spare room available. Mom and Dad will sue the school board because their kid's school doesn't have one. Whether you said anything about building or not, something would be built if your point of view were to prevail. So, yes, it will cost money. Who's going to pay for it? It should be clear that you can't use government funds. BTW, I know several schools that have portable classrooms set up on the grounds. They don't have any extra room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality