U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the right of a Muslim student to pray in public school?
Yes 30 62.50%
No 18 37.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 02:06 PM

3,237 posts, read 2,034,437 times

Advertisements

I don't really see a problem as things stand now. Are there seriously complaints from children that there are insufficient resources for them to practice their religion in the manner that their conscience dictates while at school? There is already plenty of slack time in between classes, over lunch, etc for students to fulfill their religious obligations.

Forgive a grouchy atheist, but this just seems like a non issue, unless of course, you want to pave the way for mandatory or school lead religious activities...

-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 05:37 AM

5,463 posts, read 5,627,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
When did I say anything about building? I'm just talking about a quiet room students can go to when they need to pray.
Why assume quiet? You're already singling out certain religions as being more legitimate because they line up with what you view as "appropriate" types of religious expression. But there's no reason to think that religious practice needs to be limited to quiet prayer. If you do, you're using the force of government to endorse a particular type of religion. That's a big no no.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:33 PM

31,555 posts, read 7,264,974 times
In my former job, a muslim colleague used to get out his prayer mat and pray in the office gangway. They soon found him a quiet room to do it.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:33 PM
pdw

1,462 posts, read 1,775,051 times
I'm not coming back to this thread. Most of you are out of your minds.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:56 PM

20,918 posts, read 10,835,869 times
Quote:
Ok.

Bye.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:00 PM

7,356 posts, read 6,312,732 times
Quote:
As long as you learned something.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:14 AM

5,463 posts, read 5,627,927 times
Quote:
Insults instead of an answer to reasonable questions. That's a sure-fire way to convince people you have a rational, coherent argument for your claims.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:15 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,242,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I'm so sorry that I forgot Poppyseads contribution of "aliens" and "my little ponies" to the harvest.
I love ya Poppy!

But...you guys are slippin'! Where were the obligatory Invisible Pink Unicorns, Garden Gnomes, Fairy Princesses...and most importantly, The Flying Spaghetti Monster?!
Oh Goldie, I'm a bit late but you forgot the big ones, "God" and "Jesus" Let us be fair Harvest the load Goldie, remember, no cherry pickin. lol

Seriously, prayer is personal people, because it can involve all kinds of imagination and you can't give everyones imagination a moment of silence or we'd be here all day.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:14 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,647,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Oh Goldie, I'm a bit late but you forgot the big ones, "God" and "Jesus" Let us be fair Harvest the load Goldie, remember, no cherry pickin. lol

Seriously, prayer is personal people, because it can involve all kinds of imagination and you can't give everyones imagination a moment of silence or we'd be here all day.
All those cutie offerings are typically proffered to dispute God/Jesus...they are put forth as comparisons to God/Jesus in the "Objective Evidence of Existence" department as well as other conflations.

At first I found it tough to take, when that was done...but just like doing shots of 101 proof Wild Turkey Bourbon Whiskey, it grew on me after a while and I came to like it a lot...I even try to stimulate it.

The last thing they would want to do is indulge my imagination...the contents of which is quite a trip. My meditations are probably quite "different" than most...since my life experience is very radical...but they are all good and cool in their own twisted way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or