Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the right of a Muslim student to pray in public school?
Yes 30 62.50%
No 18 37.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 07:14 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,023,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Moment of silence, yea. Seriously, it's good anyway because it gets all the kids to shut up, and if you want to pray, it's on your own time and not making other people go along with it. The only issue is that Muslims have scheduled prayer, so this might not be in sync.
Typically the only required prayer that would occur during school hours is the Mid morning Duhr Prayer there is enough flexibility in the time range this prayer is to be said in. It could probably be said during 5 minutes of the morning recess or during the first 5 minutes of lunch. The only thing that would be required is to allow the Muslim Students 5 minute usage of any vacant room during this time.

Many older students generally do their prayers mentally and silently while sitting at their desk, when prayer time arrives.

NOTE: The 5 mandatory times are not the only time we pray. We actually pray almost constantly.

Two words translate into English as prayer, Salat and Du'a. Salat are the 5 required prayers, more similar short church services. Du'a are our personal prayers said when ever and where ever we have the inclination to pray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 02:52 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,887,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
And, by the same standards, would you also mandate a pagan Wiccan ritual, complete with the possible sacrificing of a bleating, very much alive, but now shrieking sheep right up there on the teacher's desk, complete with the subsequent drinking of blood by the trembling and crying students as a required ritual? Out of respect for the Wiccans you understand.
Thank you for using the word 'possible', but Wiccan theology still doesn't require animal sacrifice.

Back on topic:

School-led prayer is a constitutional violation, but more than that, it makes me feel awkward to speak another religion's prayer.

First of all, I don't know the background to the prayer, and I usually don't know that much about who I'm praying to. Second, I feel a bit like a cultural 'intruder', because I'm essentially just 'lip synching' without being part of the actual event.

So, for the above and other reasons, I say 'No' to school-led prayer. If your religion requires prayer at a specific time, then go ahead and pray at that specific time, but our schools are, by definition, not churches, and our teachers are not priests.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:37 PM

7,712 posts, read 12,583,397 times
Thank God there is such a thing as private schools. Children are freely able to worship the one true God while in a safe educational non-judgmental setting.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:38 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,678,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Thank God there is such a thing as private schools. Children are freely able to worship the one true God while in a safe educational non-judgmental setting.
Yes. Keep them safe in that cocoon of ignorance.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:44 PM

938 posts, read 1,511,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Non-judgmental until the child starts thinking for herself and stops believing everything the teachers and parents tell her to believe. Then she's in a living hell.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:37 PM

2,866 posts, read 3,621,551 times
Yes, I would as long as my child was allowed to pray his/her prayer without any antagonism from the Muslim. But the athiests wouldn't like it.

Pray all you want on your own, but my taxes shouldn't have to go to sponsor your delusional beliefs.

See what I mean? Oh and delusional beliefs include atheism as well.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:05 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,678,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Yes, I would as long as my child was allowed to pray his/her prayer without any antagonism from the Muslim. But the athiests wouldn't like it.

Pray all you want on your own, but my taxes shouldn't have to go to sponsor your delusional beliefs.

See what I mean? Oh and delusional beliefs include atheism as well.
Sorry. Atheism is not a belief.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:50 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,627,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Sorry. Atheism is not a belief.
Of course it is.

Since it is a given that the Atheist can't be 100% ABSOLUTELY INFALLIBLY SURE (nothing is "100% for sure") there are no God(s)...they logically only believe there are no God(s).
Because you can't "know" that no God(s) exist...and you also realize the vast majority have/do/will perceive a God entity...Atheism isn't a lack of belief in the perception of a God entity...it is belief (since you can't possibly be sure) in a lack of the existence of a God entity. Thus, they are "A"-Theist.

I realize that some Atheists hate having "belief" assigned to their concept...due to their affliction with "Beliefophobia"...but that doesn't change that it necessarily is a "belief".

Old 05-29-2013, 05:56 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,062,294 times
I support all prayer in school as long as it's not headed by the school or school officials and is not done during instructional time. Before, after and in-between classes is perfectly fine.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:30 AM

16,628 posts, read 15,580,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Of course it is.

Since it is a given that the Atheist can't be 100% ABSOLUTELY INFALLIBLY SURE (nothing is "100% for sure") there are no God(s)...they logically only believe there are no God(s).
Because you can't "know" that no God(s) exist...and you also realize the vast majority have/do/will perceive a God entity...Atheism isn't a lack of belief in the perception of a God entity...it is belief (since you can't possibly be sure) in a lack of the existence of a God entity. Thus, they are "A"-Theist.

I realize that some Atheists hate having "belief" assigned to their concept...due to their affliction with "Beliefophobia"...but that doesn't change that it necessarily is a "belief".
What a wasted effort of a post!

It is a given that atheists believe there is no God(s). That is the definition if an atheist. Atheist | Define Atheist at Dictionary.com "a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings."

Nowhere in any discussion I have read, here or elsewhere, has anybody ever claimed to know for sure that there is no God(s), thus causing a new term to be needed.

Nothing new here, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality