U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you support the right of a Muslim student to pray in public school?
Yes 30 62.50%
No 18 37.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 PM
 
60 posts, read 100,962 times
Reputation: 112

Advertisements

Would you support with equal fervor the right of a Muslim student who goes to public school with your children to pray on a prayer rug in the direction of Mecca (called the salah) during school hours?

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2011, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Walt Disney World
14,867 posts, read 8,089,856 times
Reputation: 1525
In our state, we have a moment of silence each morning in our schools. Students are told they can pray, meditate, think, or just be quiet. It's supposed to be one minute long. I think this is a good compromise between those on both sides. It's silent & private.

The problem with your scenario is that the pray on a prayer rug in the direction of Mecca would likely cause a distraction, and would probably take more time. Not acceptable.

If a child (of any religion) can pray without distracting others, I'm all for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
7,816 posts, read 8,345,523 times
Reputation: 11245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolegator View Post
Would you support with equal fervor the right of a Muslim student who goes to public school with your children to pray on a prayer rug in the direction of Mecca (called the salah) during school hours?

Just curious.
No problem. (were you expecting a different answer?)


The "equal fervor" part is a little confusing. Equal to what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 01:07 AM
 
5,274 posts, read 5,155,012 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolegator View Post
Would you support with equal fervor the right of a Muslim student who goes to public school with your children to pray on a prayer rug in the direction of Mecca (called the salah) during school hours?

Just curious.
Sure, doesn't bother me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,658 posts, read 7,396,163 times
Reputation: 3243
Prayer in school, as long as it is done on the student's time and doesn't interfere with actual class, is not a problem. School led prayer is an entirely different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 06:22 PM
 
1,116 posts, read 983,341 times
Reputation: 414
I don't understand the whole bogus moment of silence thing. If I remember correctly, in school we already had various moments of silence all throughout the day. When we were finished reading for example, we were told to sit quietly until the bell rang. Bam! A moment of silence right there without it having to be designated as prayer or meditation or what have you. If someone is so concerned about praying, don't you think that they could find a minute out of their day to do it on their own, instead of trying to force others to participate in their "moment of silence"? If the only moment of silence in a classroom occurs just in that one minute so designated, then there is much more wrong with the school that any prayer could fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 06:27 PM
 
91 posts, read 79,909 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolegator View Post
Would you support with equal fervor the right of a Muslim student who goes to public school with your children to pray on a prayer rug in the direction of Mecca (called the salah) during school hours?

Just curious.

If this were a muslim nation then yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Walt Disney World
14,867 posts, read 8,089,856 times
Reputation: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
I don't understand the whole bogus moment of silence thing. If I remember correctly, in school we already had various moments of silence all throughout the day. When we were finished reading for example, we were told to sit quietly until the bell rang. Bam! A moment of silence right there without it having to be designated as prayer or meditation or what have you. If someone is so concerned about praying, don't you think that they could find a minute out of their day to do it on their own, instead of trying to force others to participate in their "moment of silence"? If the only moment of silence in a classroom occurs just in that one minute so designated, then there is much more wrong with the school that any prayer could fix.
Don't you mean trying to force others to participate in their "moment of silence" (which they might use to pray & that really ticks me off!)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 09:50 PM
 
9,341 posts, read 24,534,401 times
Reputation: 4449
The problem, as I see it, is that Christians make the false assumption that others pray in the Christian manner: head uncovered and bowed, and can complete their prayer in a minute or two, and this is not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Earth
1,106 posts, read 1,813,106 times
Reputation: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The problem, as I see it, is that Christians make the false assumption that others pray in the Christian manner: head uncovered and bowed, and can complete their prayer in a minute or two, and this is not the case.
Ya, what if my kid wants to bang a gong fling a prayer wheel around and chant out loud.

I think its better to take care if any religious things before or after public school.

Last edited by Aeroman; 09-08-2011 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: Oh, wait, I never had any kids. ……….
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:55 PM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top