Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:02 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I agreed the greatest goal for some is the fight against cancer obviously that is not the case for all.

Certain people will never even appreciate/consider the back-breaking work healthcare providers and caregivers provide to those in their times of need. There is not enough pay in the world to cover their selfless service but innovation can/has lighten their burden throughtout the years; thus allowing them to spread themselves even thinner.

Please give or don't give as you see fit.

Have A Day.
I didn't say good because I don't want you to accuse me next of trying tell you what kind of a day to have.
Wrong gabfest and geofra, as I will actually be DOING the research not "throwing the parties". I also plan to participate in DWB now. I will also be participating in this years local Relay, in the previous years the groups I was a part of always raised 1st or 2nd place for the amount donated.

I'm not sure how you think denying atheists their human dignity is part of the "fight against cancer"... I truly don't.

Have a Wonderful day gabfest, as you contemplate on my response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 07:30 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,042,995 times
Hello.
Is this thread really about the supposed persecution of atheists, due to the American Cancer Society choosing it's publicity wisely? These are the same folks who helped push some of the current laws that forced business owners to remove smoking sections (and smoking, altogether) from their privately-owned restaurants, because American Law supposedly forces all Americans to dine at afore-mentioned restaurants as part of being a citizen of this glorious country. Oh wait - I'm kidding. Actually, there is no law forcing Americans to eat out at particular restaurants against their wishes, endangering their precious health from the evils of second hand smoke. As a close friend said, when questioned about the legality and constitutionality of such a move and finally admitting that the final laws were quite a stretch: "I just don't like smokers. That's why I voted for it. 'F 'em." Ah, democracy.

So, some people are now worried about atheists being denied some strange right to run in races - is that what's going on here? It appears to me that the American Cancer Society is well aware of the current trend of Atheism to over-react, grab their lawyers and practice just as much intolerance as the very people they complain about. I'm an atheist, for the most part -
- but I'm ashamed to admit it. Not because I give a rat's behind about what my neighbor will say. Not because I'm worried that fundamentalist christians will frown at me in supermarket lines. Not because I'm worried I might be wrong, and don't want to look like an idiot when I inevitably recant in that future fox-hole (and they always show up in one form or another). No.
No - I'm ashamed to admit that I'm an atheist because of self-righteous atheists who are as intolerant as their 'enemies'. Ashamed because atheists are quick to force some small community to rip down it's christmas tree - even if it's just the one atheist living on the outskirts of town who likes the attention it generates. Ashamed because Atheists tend to act like total jerks half the time and then wonder why people don't much care for them. It no longer has anything to do with their lack of religion: it has to do with their lack of tact. Their over-reaction. Their litigiousness. Their transformation of a simple statement of 'lack-of-belief' into a full-fledged religion, whether they realize it or not.

For those Atheists who do not fit this category: Bravo. I apologize for my generalizations - but it's awfully difficult to write something while constantly writing exceptions in every sentence. Your behavior is duly noted and appreciated.

And Bravo for the posters in this forum who have realized that donating money to those who need it, is MUCH more important than whether the donator gets acknowledged. Is charity really that dependent on how it makes us look to other people, where we will refuse to donate if our name isn't listed on a golden plaque of honor and divinity: "WE ARE AWESOME - Oh, and ATHEISTS! We gave more money than those jerks, those christians!" As the others said: Donate your money, and don't worry about whether someone knows about it. Drop it off anonymously, if you have the moral courage. I hear lots of claims of "we're just as good as them, if not better" - well, let's see it. Kill that over-bearing pride for once in your life - the world does not, and should not, revolve around whether other people agree with your gripes.

Less whining, more donating.
Less grandstanding, more humble helping.
Less self-righteous moral-outrage, more integration into our communities.
Less bragging insults, more cheek-turning.

Anyways, I keep hoping that this current trend of "easily-offended-atheists" will pass. Last time I checked - my neighbors weren't attempting to burn me for me non-beliefs. I hope I have fun at this forum. Please don't make me shake my heads with more threads like this, though.
Yes, I typed 'heads' in the plural and didn't bother to change it. Maybe I was unconsciously rhyming. I dunno. I'm going to go smoke a cigarette now.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:56 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Hello.
Is this thread really about the supposed persecution of atheists, due to the American Cancer Society choosing it's publicity wisely? These are the same folks who helped push some of the current laws that forced business owners to remove smoking sections (and smoking, altogether) from their privately-owned restaurants, because American Law supposedly forces all Americans to dine at afore-mentioned restaurants as part of being a citizen of this glorious country. Oh wait - I'm kidding. Actually, there is no law forcing Americans to eat out at particular restaurants against their wishes, endangering their precious health from the evils of second hand smoke. As a close friend said, when questioned about the legality and constitutionality of such a move and finally admitting that the final laws were quite a stretch: "I just don't like smokers. That's why I voted for it. 'F 'em." Ah, democracy.

So, some people are now worried about atheists being denied some strange right to run in races - is that what's going on here? It appears to me that the American Cancer Society is well aware of the current trend of Atheism to over-react, grab their lawyers and practice just as much intolerance as the very people they complain about. I'm an atheist, for the most part -
- but I'm ashamed to admit it. Not because I give a rat's behind about what my neighbor will say. Not because I'm worried that fundamentalist christians will frown at me in supermarket lines. Not because I'm worried I might be wrong, and don't want to look like an idiot when I inevitably recant in that future fox-hole (and they always show up in one form or another). No.
No - I'm ashamed to admit that I'm an atheist because of self-righteous atheists who are as intolerant as their 'enemies'. Ashamed because atheists are quick to force some small community to rip down it's christmas tree - even if it's just the one atheist living on the outskirts of town who likes the attention it generates. Ashamed because Atheists tend to act like total jerks half the time and then wonder why people don't much care for them. It no longer has anything to do with their lack of religion: it has to do with their lack of tact. Their over-reaction. Their litigiousness. Their transformation of a simple statement of 'lack-of-belief' into a full-fledged religion, whether they realize it or not.

For those Atheists who do not fit this category: Bravo. I apologize for my generalizations - but it's awfully difficult to write something while constantly writing exceptions in every sentence. Your behavior is duly noted and appreciated.

And Bravo for the posters in this forum who have realized that donating money to those who need it, is MUCH more important than whether the donator gets acknowledged. Is charity really that dependent on how it makes us look to other people, where we will refuse to donate if our name isn't listed on a golden plaque of honor and divinity: "WE ARE AWESOME - Oh, and ATHEISTS! We gave more money than those jerks, those christians!" As the others said: Donate your money, and don't worry about whether someone knows about it. Drop it off anonymously, if you have the moral courage. I hear lots of claims of "we're just as good as them, if not better" - well, let's see it. Kill that over-bearing pride for once in your life - the world does not, and should not, revolve around whether other people agree with your gripes.

Anyways, I keep hoping that this current trend of "easily-offended-atheists" will pass. Last time I checked - my neighbors weren't attempting to burn me for me non-beliefs. I hope I have fun at this forum. Please don't make me shake my heads with more threads like this, though.
Yes, I typed 'heads' in the plural and didn't bother to change it. Maybe I was unconsciously rhyming. I dunno. I'm going to go smoke a cigarette now.
Welcome to City Data!

And thank you for your tacky and patronizing post. I appreciate your admonishments, and I'm sure we will all change our ways knowing that we cause you shame. If you ever get in the fund raising business, please tell Coke and Pepsi that recognition of their donations are unimportant, it's "the cause" that matters. I'm sure you'll be a raving success.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Welcome to City Data!

And thank you for your tacky and patronizing post. I appreciate your admonishments, and I'm sure we will all change our ways knowing that we cause you shame. If you ever get in the fund raising business, please tell Coke and Pepsi that recognition of their donations are unimportant, it's "the cause" that matters. I'm sure you'll be a raving success.
Thank you for the warm welcome.
I'm glad I could make a difference! I'm glad I don't need an army of lawyers on my side to make people agree with me lol!

When Coke and Pepsi donate, it's because it's actually advertising and good press. I think the anger over this issue with the American Cancer Society is based on the same results being denied a particular atheist group, is it not?

I don't think it's tacky or patronizing to suggest that morality shouldn't depend on how much advertising and good press it generates. Perhaps my point has been lost in translation, that's all. Or skimmed.

I'm simply wondering how honest some people are being with their motivations in this and other recent public relations incidents. But, carry on with the righteous indignations. My post still stands as it is.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:16 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Hello.

Wonderful post!
You'll be a distinct outlier but I hope you will stay.

Last edited by gabfest; 09-16-2011 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 09-16-2011, 01:30 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
"Im so tolerant that i tolerate intolerance!" *pat myself on the back* "we are so very grateful that the descendants of pagans havent resortes to crusifying us or burning us at the stake... anymore; out of high respect, i will pretend i dont exist and that me and my ideas are intolarable...

...apathetic atheists are hilarious wastes of being. Im not going to placate to pagan descendant's intolerence, not of Muslims, not of Hindus, not of Jews, not of Atheists, not of gays, not of Secularists, not of Free-thinkers, etc etc; their arbitrary hate CANNOT be placated to; such arbitrary hate and such arbitrary apathy as yours, are manifestations of the Enemy of God

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 09-16-2011 at 01:42 PM..

Old 09-17-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Wonderful post!
You'll be a distinct outlier but I hope you will stay.
Thank you -
This forum looks like an interesting mix, so perhaps I'll be able to find a little bench to sit on amidst the parade.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:39 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Interesting story; Foundation Beyond Belief wants to participate as a national group in the Relay for Life this year, but the American Cancer Society is blocking them at every turn, even though we have guaranteed matching donations up to $250,000...which could easily mean that a cool half million dollars is being turned down by the ACS, for what reason? It's becoming more and more likely that it's because we're atheists that they're refusing our participation. You read and decide for yourself what's going on...

Why Are They Rejecting Atheist Generosity?
My first thought was actually something like "that stinks, sorry that happened." If atheists do a good job helping give to cancer good for them/you. Takes all kinds, help is help, etc.

And although I still lean toward thinking it was wrong of them it might be a somewhat understandable. Possibly this group is seen as anti-religious, rather than just atheist (and no the two aren't inevitably the same), so it would feel like taking money from some other politically controversial group. And that they would avoid taking from a Libertarian or Pro-Life/Anti-Choice or whatever group too. Or perhaps some of their other donors quietly made it clear they would stop future support if they accepted money from an atheist group. They couldn't risk losing regulars for one big gift from a distrusted minority. Possibly it'd be the same if Palestinian Muslims gave them the money.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
I agreed the greatest goal for some is the fight against cancer obviously that is not the case for all.

Certain people will never even appreciate/consider the back-breaking work healthcare providers and caregivers provide to those in their times of need. There is not enough pay in the world to cover their selfless service but innovation can/has lighten their burden throughtout the years; thus allowing them to spread themselves even thinner.

Please give or don't give as you see fit.

Have A Day.
I didn't say good because I don't want you to accuse me next of trying tell you what kind of a day to have.
You're the one contradicting yourself.
Don't put it on me.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:32 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Hello.

So, some people are now worried about atheists being denied some strange right to run in races - is that what's going on here? It appears to me that the American Cancer Society is well aware of the current trend of Atheism to over-react, grab their lawyers and practice just as much intolerance as the very people they complain about.
Did you just SERIOUSLY compare banning smoking in restaurants to an atheist being denied the same rights and privileges as a religious person? God damn, that's an inconceivable stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality