U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:45 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,455,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
No big spiel or rhetoric needed: Just exempt what would be reasonable for them to carry out their bona fide charitable endevors...but tax all their income and gains above that...and all their property and holdings not necessary for the charity.
Okay, but to be fair and ensure that generalized religious organization is not being singled out maliciously, by that rationale all public universities, charities and NPC's should also lose their respective tax-exempt statuses.

Surely the government would rake in ENORMOUS hordes of cash and our troubles would be over.

I have no doubt that there are lots and lots of shady pastors over commercial congregations nationwide, but what you're talking about would drive many or most of the nation's churches, temples, mosques and (whatever else) out of existence. This isn't a reasonable thing to support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 09:49 PM

10,495 posts, read 10,094,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Individual chuch members are voters. They have a right, like anyone else, to get politically involved in support of issues important to them.

But if the church hierarchy starts preaching from the pulpit as to who its parishioners should vote for or not vote for,then that's a whole different matter. The church has then entered into the political arena of which it has no business getting into and when that happens then they should pay the price.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:40 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,735,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
How many assistants (ministers) does he have? In big churches like those, they have boards and hordes of ministers to delegate all kinds of other responsibilities to. I WISH I could fly to Haiti and Africa and help the poor on a church's money. Great way to see the world for free and besides, I'm sure those ministers are not sleeping in the dumps with those people. They are probably staying at some palace of a hotel ON the church's money.
When I got back from W. Africa, I saw a poster about some missionary who claimed to be in the same area I had just returned from. He even had pictures of his mission. Slight problem here. The pictures were from a Catholic Mission on the left hand side of the road if you were driving to Ekot Ekpene from Abak, and this guy was claiming all of the good stuff the Catholics actually did were really his stuff. I went to the camp meeting that night and when I denounced him as a liar and told them where the photos' were actually taken and I believe the term "Con Artist" may have slipped out. They ushered me out. There are none so blind as those who are being fleeced!

Old 09-22-2011, 01:43 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,596,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
When I got back from W. Africa, I saw a poster about some missionary who claimed to be in the same area I had just returned from. He even had pictures of his mission. Slight problem here. The pictures were from a Catholic Mission on the left hand side of the road if you were driving to Ekot Ekpene from Abak, and this guy was claiming all of the good stuff the Catholics actually did were really his stuff. I went to the camp meeting that night and when I denounced him as a liar and told them where the photos' were actually taken and I believe the term "Con Artist" may have slipped out. They ushered me out. There are none so blind as those who are being fleeced!
I seen much of the similar when I was in Africa. The worse offenders seem to be the self proclaimed Missionaries from newly formed Churches. Typically the missionary will be somebody like Rev. Billy Bob from Bug Tussle.

The majority of the mainstream Christian Churches do seem to be intent on doing genuine charity work and do provide help where needed with no expectations. but, sadly the ones trying to build up their own little "True" church get the most notice and cast doubt on the works of all.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:25 AM

3,381 posts, read 3,391,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Nothing is accomplished by churches and religion that isn't already being accomplished just as well or better through secular means. Secular charity also doesn't require the recipient to be the victim of forced proselytizing before the aid is rendered.
^^^^This is one of the huge issues I have with organized religion. The other being the fact that many churches think that handing out a few cans of food or paying your light bill for a month is going to solve the problem, but they won't peer deeper into our culture to see how they have contributed to a truly selfish population (the chosen and the damned mentality---healthcare), an arrogant nation (again, the chosen), and a fearful/conflicted nation (well, the Bible is damned confusing).

They are also stealing future independent thinkers, leaders and teachers from our Republic because of the training (brainwashing) they have received from the religious organization, leading to a culture of blindness when it comes to understanding what is really going on, a pull-yourselves-up-by-your bootstraps mentality (OT views when it suits them, not heeding Jesus' teachings), and warmongering (always have to fight the enemies of god or "freedom," as in, you are free to think whatever your religious teachers or politicians want you to think).

Quote:
Individual chuch members are voters. They have a right, like anyone else, to get politically involved in support of issues important to them.
They get politically involved in the issues their leaders tell them to get politically involved in, which usually ties into a book written thousands of years ago, which leads to a bogged down political system, which leads to useless wars and a failed and confused educational system. I could go on. I don't know many true independent thinkers in the organized religious system. Independent thought, questioning, and debating in a church is a sure way to get kicked out the door.

To the OP: The church is the people. They should meet in each other's houses and stick to loving their neighbors. We don't need an organization to teach others how to love. Forget about taxing buildings which gather people into socially acceptable Sunday afternoon outings. Get rid of the organization altogether.

Last edited by herefornow; 09-22-2011 at 02:39 AM..

Old 09-22-2011, 08:07 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,134,744 times
Quote:
And they all should be treated just like any other individual. Pay your taxes, no free ride in the name of religion.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:32 AM

15,305 posts, read 8,294,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
But if the church hierarchy starts preaching from the pulpit as to who its parishioners should vote for or not vote for,then that's a whole different matter. The church has then entered into the political arena of which it has no business getting into and when that happens then they should pay the price.
I agree (and said so earlier). It appears to me that happens on both sides of the political spectrum, no?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:34 AM

15,305 posts, read 8,294,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And they all should be treated just like any other individual. Pay your taxes, no free ride in the name of religion.
Church members don't pay taxes?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:43 AM

18,371 posts, read 18,669,715 times
Quote:
Church members don't pay taxes?
Church members get the use, tax free, of property at which they congregate with other like-minded people, have meetings,picnics, dinners and other get togethers.
This is even if not one penny ever goes beyond those church doors.
The golfing members of the club 'next door' don't have that benefit.
All those people that belong to the bowling league don't get that benefit.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:52 AM

49,212 posts, read 39,657,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Church members get the use, tax free, of property at which they congregate with other like-minded people, have meetings,picnics, dinners and other get togethers.
This is even if not one penny ever goes beyond those church doors.
The golfing members of the club 'next door' don't have that benefit.
All those people that belong to the bowling league don't get that benefit.
Actually probably a whole bunch of them deduct it as a business expense.

Picnics? Seriously? Church picnics are essentially donations of food (not deducted) by the various members a la pot luck style. It's like BYOF.

What you are missing are the social good aspects provided by a church to the community that are not provided by a golf course.

Food drives, volunteering at food pantries, nursing homes etc. none of which are tax deductible.

Basically, if you went to Joplin MO after the horrible twister hit you'd have seen tons and tons of volunteers, donations etc. many of them not deducted (especially their time and lost vacation pay etc.) from churches and not so many golf clubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality