U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 11:50 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,239,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Well, it sounded a bit like a question designed to box him into an overbroad premise and numerous assumption flaws.
If he really believes that, it's relevant to the conversation. If he doesn't, also relevant to the conversation. Thus my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 12:00 PM

15,305 posts, read 8,294,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Read more carefully.
I said 'even if'.
And do remember, yours is not the only church in existence.
However, and in your case may not be so, but spending $1 million if $3 million is brought in does not, in my opinion,make one a qualified charitable institution......not even $1 out of $2.
I have experience in several churches.

The IRS does not qualify a % that must be spent in charitable work by a church.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:09 PM

18,371 posts, read 18,669,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I have experience in several churches.

The IRS does not qualify a % that must be spent in charitable work by a church.
I know that.
And it is a huge objection I have which is one point of this whole discussion.
Your supposed good works are mostly for the benefit of your parishoners only, not the community you're in.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:19 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,455,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
If he really believes that, it's relevant to the conversation. If he doesn't, also relevant to the conversation. Thus my question.
A more on point question then, based on his words, could be:

"So you believe that many Christians* engage in charity or relief work for rewards, either tangible or intangible, that have nothing to do with ulterior motives including but not limited to proselytizing and conversion?"

*Many Christians being exlcusive of "hardcore zealots", "crazies" and "fakes" - categories which have been acknowledged to exist.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I know that.
And it is a huge objection I have which is one point of this whole discussion.
Your supposed good works are mostly for the benefit of your parishoners only, not the community you're in.
Mostly? Not so sure about that. We do much outside our four walls.

On the other hand, the purpose of the chuch is many-fold. Charity is but one part.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:44 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,593,440 times
Just a thought.

Here in North Dakota the population is very sparse. 672,000 for the entire State. Yet ND has the largest number of churches per capita. I do not know the exact number, however over 90% of ND residents do profess to be Christian. I believe it is a conservative estimate to say there are 1000 churches. As far as know the None christians do not claim any tax exemptions Speaking only for us Muslims there are 4 mosques I know of. None of which claim any tax exemption.

Now while this is no major issue here as if the few non-Christians left the state our tax money is not going to make a major impact. However the tax emptions means that we have to pay higher taxes to make up for the lost income from the churches. This is forced charity. While most of us have no objection and would donate it as Charity, it is still forced charity. we are paying for something we do not use. There will be no outcry over this. but what if the situation were reversed and 90% of the state was non-Christian? would they complain on having to make up for the lost income because of tax exemtions for the Mosques?

Out of fairness to all, there should be no tax exemptions for religious organizations. they are de facto corporations and should be taxed as such.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Mostly? Not so sure about that. We do much outside our four walls.

On the other hand, the purpose of the chuch is many-fold. Charity is but one part.
Yes? And how much of those many-fold purposes do you think non-members would feel deserve to be paid for by them to the extent of your property taxes and any other applicable tax exemptions?

Old 09-23-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Yes? And how much of those many-fold purposes do you think non-members would feel deserve to be paid for by them to the extent of your property taxes and any other applicable tax exemptions?
As I detailed earlier in this thread, we pay for our own utilities, police protection, traffic control. What else is left? Fire protection? OK, you got me there.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
As I detailed earlier in this thread, we pay for our own utilities, police protection, traffic control. What else is left? Fire protection? OK, you got me there.
Do your statements show how much you are assessed for and not paying or dont you even get any?
If not, do you know what a comparable property does have to pay?

Old 09-25-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Do your statements show how much you are assessed for and not paying or dont you even get any?
If not, do you know what a comparable property does have to pay?
Do you think it's more than the $1,000,000+ we're doing in charitable work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality