U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 02:16 PM

6,039 posts, read 9,259,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
I think there are more local small churchs that net less than 25,000 a year, than are those popular churchs that net over 100,000 a year. I understand both poor and rich are taxed, but in the orginal seperation of church and state in the consitution, the intent was to not mix the two; and give the churchs a tax break. Its these mega million making churchs that gives that orginal intent a need for revison, but I don't think small time churchs need to be included in that.
The problem is, religion and churches have their grimy, corrupted fingers in politics. When there is NO RELIGIOUS INFLUENCE in government, then I'd be willing to consider a tax break for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 02:17 PM

5,298 posts, read 3,926,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I don't believe a tax break for churches was included in the constitution...I'm not even sure what taxes existed back then.

The foundation of the tax break was created through the seperation of church and state Sanspeur.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
The problem is, religion and churches have their grimy, corrupted fingers in politics. When there is NO RELIGIOUS INFLUENCE in government, then I'd be willing to consider a tax break for them.

When the tax breaks were created, they had no fingers in goverment. Now the politicians who create policys have grimy corrupted fingers.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
When the tax breaks were created, they had no fingers in goverment.
Are you really that naive?

Old 09-10-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Are you really that naive?

I should ask you the same question. Americas tax laws were indeed created to favor non-profit and charitable institutions which presumably benefit the community, not limited to only churchs. I think the advent of mega million dollar making churchs, who have indeed turned into obvious businesses, and millionare pastors, in the 20th century, have simply made it obvious that there needs to be a change in this non exempt status.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I should ask you the same question. Americas tax laws were indeed created to favor non-profit and charitable institutions which presumably benefit the community, not limited to only churchs. I think the advent of mega million dollar making churchs, who have indeed turned into obvious businesses, and millionare pastors, in the 20th century, have simply made it obvious that there needs to be a change in this non exempt status.
This is one reason that even small churches should NOT be tax-exempt:

Evangelical pastors jump into the 2012 political fray - latimes.com

If you cannot see why, then you're not just naive.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:55 PM

15,727 posts, read 9,224,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The only one I'm familiar with is Joel Osteen's church in Houston. I'm not sure he has a private jet-I know he's talked many times about flying commercial. Maybe you can provide a link.

Are you aware what all his ministry/church does for the needy?

Cookies | Joel Osteen Ministries

Rick Warren, a pastor of a mega-church in LA, does reverse-tithing. He keeps 10% of his salary, and gives 90% away.

Do you have a link on that church with the golden doors? I'm wondering what kind of church it is.
Tele-Evangelist Lifestyles

That gives some examples of the abuse of tele-evangelist and pastors wealth. Like Joel Osteen's 10.5 million dollar house. Joyce Meyer with her private jets and sports cars. I believe the church in question is The Crystal Cathedral. It cost $20 million to build, with gold ornaments, giant flat screen tvs, 10,000 windows, etc. It has an annual budget of $80 million. The entire city that it sits in only has a budget of $90 million. That church is now declaring bankruptcy.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:14 PM

30,065 posts, read 30,862,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Tele-Evangelist Lifestyles

That gives some examples of the abuse of tele-evangelist and pastors wealth. Like Joel Osteen's 10.5 million dollar house. Joyce Meyer with her private jets and sports cars. I believe the church in question is The Crystal Cathedral. It cost $20 million to build, with gold ornaments, giant flat screen tvs, 10,000 windows, etc. It has an annual budget of $80 million. The entire city that it sits in only has a budget of $90 million. That church is now declaring bankruptcy.
I'll bet the pastors keep all their expensive toys though.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
This is one reason that even small churches should NOT be tax-exempt:

Evangelical pastors jump into the 2012 political fray - latimes.com

If you cannot see why, then you're not just naive.

Well perhaps I am wrong about it, I was thinking of giving the small churchs a break; but if they are going to form committes and get involved directly in politics and yeild influence, then I think they all should be taxed.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:38 AM

30,065 posts, read 30,862,789 times
I see many churches violating these three rules that they must follow to retain tax exempt status...The government should act, but it's not happening.

4. NONE OF THE ORGANIZATION'S NET EARNINGS MAY INURE TO THE BENEFIT OF ANY PRIVATE INDIVIDUAL.
The church's written document must include a dissolution clause which requires, in the event of dissolution, that its assets be distributed to other tax-exempt organizations and not to individuals. This is another common area of trouble for tax-exempt organizations.

5. THE ORGANIZATION MAY NOT ENGAGE, TO A SUBSTANTIAL DEGREE, IN ATTEMPTS TO INFLUENCE LEGISLATION.
The church, as with any other exempt organization under section 501(c)(3), may only engage in lobbying activities to an insubstantial degree, which has been defined as no more than five percent (5%) of the organization's time and/or money during a calendar year.

6. HE ORGANIZATION MAY NOT PARTICIPATE IN POLITICAL CAMPAIGNS.
This is an absolute bar. There must be absolutely no partisan involvement in political campaigns. The IRS is now watching this area very closely, especially the distribution of voter guides by tax-exempt organizations. While a church may distribute these guides, they must meet certain guidelines. For example, the guide must cover a broad range of issues and not just those which are of interest to the church, it must accurately describe a candidate's position and voting record, and it must be distributed at least one time during the year other than at election time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality