U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 09:59 PM

30,038 posts, read 30,699,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What about money spent for internal ministries? Bibles, study materials, teaching supplies, music, etc.
Like any other business, goods and services used in the operation of the business would be tax exempt. I see no reason why churches should not be taxed, after all many of them really are a business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 10:03 PM

15,208 posts, read 8,247,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Your members? Plus every other taxpayer in your municipality that are not members of your church...Is that fair to them?
Unless your church pays property taxes it is not paying it's way.
Yes, because they use those public roads. Not sure what your point is.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:47 PM

30,038 posts, read 30,699,871 times
Quote:
If you can't get the point, then I can't help you.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:42 AM

18,332 posts, read 18,571,226 times
Quote:
What about money spent for internal ministries? Bibles, study materials, teaching supplies, music, etc.
These are not covered by property taxes.
Thay are business expenses which is covered by the other part of my post about qualification as a non-profit.
There are churches that are 'poor' and do much good work.My idea is to separate the true non-profits from the contrived ones with cost/benefit in mind.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:59 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,080,848 times
Quote:
From my experience, that's very rare. The only time you see that is those who preach "prosperity gospel". Most of those are televangelists, not pastors. For every case like you describe, there are hundreds of churches doing the right thing. Of course, they're not newsworthy.

I belong to a small mega-church. We invest all of our money back into ministry, minus salaries.
And you have vast experience with many churches?
It costs a lot of $$ to run a mega-church. Imagine the waste.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:24 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,080,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Churches and ministries should be tax exempt for the income of the charity because they do help the poor , and they do provide a teaching to people of the decent morals of clean living free of crime and disorder in the people attending ...... In the 1790s years in France the church authority was rejected by the King Louis 17 to consecrate France to Jesus and continue to pay tithes to the church....... So the church became short of income could not help the poor and the French Revolution rebellion happened ..... This closed the church down for three years and the King Louis 17 lost his head and the monarchy ended ...... The church was over run by people who opened a liberty church were there is NO God ...... Jesus eventually got the church opened three years later ...... Nations who do not provide their poor with a way for food and shelter but only provide their nation the subjection to the wealth of the elite , run the risk of rebellion......
Hardly. I do not find churches doing that, nor do I believe that they should be tax exempt for any teaching that they may do. How's that abstinence teaching working out? How about the number of "christians" in prison?
Churches are exclusive, not inclusive.
This is not France in the 1790s.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:35 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,219,724 times
Quote:
And public utilities, and public safety services like the fire department, the police department, the EMTs. You think all those things are free? Christ on a crutch, that's quite the feeling of entitlement you have there.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:01 AM

10,494 posts, read 10,076,678 times
Quote:

If you live in a house and own property you pay taxes, you pay taxes for the services that you receive from the state, county or city that you live in, those same services are also given to the church's, don't you think they should pay taxes for those same services that you pay for or do you think they should get them for free and the rest of the taxpayers pick up the tab.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
If you can't get the point, then I can't help you.
As I thought. Your only point is to be antagonistic.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
These are not covered by property taxes.
Thay are business expenses which is covered by the other part of my post about qualification as a non-profit.
There are churches that are 'poor' and do much good work.My idea is to separate the true non-profits from the contrived ones with cost/benefit in mind.
What does that look like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality