U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2011, 06:47 PM
 
1,933 posts, read 3,138,129 times
Reputation: 1941

Advertisements

My mother is a JW and we have been allowed over to many a non-friend JW's house. Given it also depends on the parent...

You will find that their are strict JW's who adhere to every word and law or others who are simply relaxed about it.

Speak to the parents first and see.

I wish you all the best!

Mrs. X
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2011, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Arizona
1,206 posts, read 2,096,498 times
Reputation: 1529
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
My mother is a JW and we have been allowed over to many a non-friend JW's house. Given it also depends on the parent...

You will find that their are strict JW's who adhere to every word and law or others who are simply relaxed about it.

Speak to the parents first and see.

I wish you all the best!

Mrs. X
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2011, 10:01 PM
 
12,445 posts, read 14,574,540 times
Reputation: 14146
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
just ask and see what happens...
Yeh....this...you can deal with what may/maynot need dealin with AFTER !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 01:03 PM
 
1 posts, read 820 times
Reputation: 10
My daughter is going through the same thing right now. The friend gets to come and hang out with us but sleepovers do not happen. When I first found out she could not celebrate birthdays or come to any parties, I was bummed out. I really felt like she was missing out on having fun but I have to respect the family's religion. The only thing is that my daughter adores her and they are best friends and my daughter does not want to hang with anyone but this girl. She understands her religion though. I am about to go pick both of them up to come hang out after school. My Christmas tree is up and shining brightly! Yikes! I wonder if I should take it down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 PM
 
10,452 posts, read 10,234,362 times
Reputation: 12496
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa78 View Post
My daughter is going through the same thing right now. The friend gets to come and hang out with us but sleepovers do not happen. When I first found out she could not celebrate birthdays or come to any parties, I was bummed out. I really felt like she was missing out on having fun but I have to respect the family's religion. The only thing is that my daughter adores her and they are best friends and my daughter does not want to hang with anyone but this girl. She understands her religion though. I am about to go pick both of them up to come hang out after school. My Christmas tree is up and shining brightly! Yikes! I wonder if I should take it down?
You don't have to take the tree down just for the JW's who are coming over/JW friend of your daughter's. JW's are pretty good at respecting other people's religions. My grandparents had a Christmas tree up both years I was studying with the JW's and they didn't care one bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2011, 05:05 PM
 
127 posts, read 285,487 times
Reputation: 73
There are lots of misconceptions about JWs and as one myself, i would have to say, if you have questions, ask a JW. That is the easiest and most direct course as others may only have part truths, or biased opinions about what we believe. As was said already, its really up to each family to make the decision as to how strict they want to be. But never feel bad if the answer is "no". It doesn't mean they think anything bad about you per se. A parents job is to protect their child how they see fit. I know on the outside, it might look like overprotecting or just plain odd ... but that is not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 08:23 AM
 
810 posts, read 1,259,577 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
One of my daughters good friends at school is a Jehovah Witness. My daughter found this out because the girl told her. My daughter wants to ask her over to our house one day to hang out and swim. They are in the 4th grade.

I found the below on a Jehovah Witness site. Does this mean that this girl can not play with my daughter? I'm not here to judge I just want to be able to explain to my daughter why she isn't allowed to play if that is the case.

Jehovah’s Witnesses are not allowed to associate with non-Witnesses including family. Exceptions are made if the non-Witness family member is living in the same household.

Thanks for you help.
As NJcost already explained, it's up to each family to make the decision. I appreciate the caution to be careful about who we associate with...for my children and myself. I am very cautious about where my children go, regardless of the fact that I am a Jehovah's Witness...too many terrible news stories about children I guess.

For me, it all depends on the situation. I am a teacher, I have children in the school system...there is a teacher who has children that are the ages of my children. They enjoy playing together, and I know the family pretty well. MOST importantly, the parents know and are very respectful of our beliefs. I have had their children over and my children have gone to their house. It works and I feel okay with it.

The only feeling I can think of to relate it to would be of a parent who wants their child to go to college. Would they want their child to hang out with someone who discouraged college, made decisions that could prevent their entrance to college, deteriorated the habits that would get them to college. It's the same thing...I want my family to asscociate with people who respect putting God's Kingdom first, and actually encourages spiritual goals.

Not sure what website you looked up your information, but the absolute sound of the quote you posted "are not allowed to associate with non-Witnesses including family" doesn't sound like it came from the official website of JWs. Be careful about anti-JW websites, they can distort information.

Last edited by beeveenh; 12-19-2011 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 08:36 AM
 
10,452 posts, read 10,234,362 times
Reputation: 12496
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJcost$$ View Post
There are lots of misconceptions about JWs and as one myself, i would have to say, if you have questions, ask a JW. That is the easiest and most direct course as others may only have part truths, or biased opinions about what we believe. As was said already, its really up to each family to make the decision as to how strict they want to be. But never feel bad if the answer is "no". It doesn't mean they think anything bad about you per se. A parents job is to protect their child how they see fit. I know on the outside, it might look like overprotecting or just plain odd ... but that is not the case.
I think it's very important to ask JW's but it's also important to get an outside opinion, because some JW's aren't totally upfront about JW beliefs from the get-go. For example, when I first started studying with the JW's, they led me to believe they were totally fine with psychics, acupuncture, and other energy work, only to tell me later that's all "spiritism" and of Satan. I'm not saying all JW's are dishonest, but I think a lot of JW's try so hard to put on a good image in the beginning they leave out or twist certain beliefs that end up misleading new Bible students. So because of that, it's important to get opinions both from JW's themselves and people who have had experience with JW's who aren't necessarily JW themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 08:39 AM
 
10,452 posts, read 10,234,362 times
Reputation: 12496
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
ect putting God's Kingdom first, and actually encourages spiritual goals.

Not sure what website you looked up your information, but the absolute sound of the quote you posted "are not allowed to associate with non-Witnesses including family" doesn't sound like it came from the official website of JWs. Be careful about anti-JW websites, they can distort information.
A lot of JW's do practice that, to varying degrees. I have JW friends that still talk to me and I have JW friends that I haven't heard from since I told them I'm not getting baptized. Not even an email or a phone call. It varies, but that statement isn't totally out of thin air. It really depends on the individual. Some JW's are stricter than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 08:59 AM
 
810 posts, read 1,259,577 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
A lot of JW's do practice that, to varying degrees. I have JW friends that still talk to me and I have JW friends that I haven't heard from since I told them I'm not getting baptized. Not even an email or a phone call. It varies, but that statement isn't totally out of thin air. It really depends on the individual. Some JW's are stricter than others.
Totally agree with this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top