U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2011, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,038 posts, read 30,680,506 times
Reputation: 12213

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Pean View Post
It's interesting how you say it is a personal choice. Haven't you ever heard of someone being celibate because of a calling from God? I could argue that celibacy is often not by choice. You probably look at lonely people on the streets like they made the choice to be that way and to hell with them.
Unless there is something physically wrong with a person it is ALWAYS a choice.

Think about all the advantages of living alone, and there are many. I was married for a total of thirty years, thought I was happy as a clam, but the last twenty I've been without a mate, and realize that I've never been more content in my life.

 
Old 09-10-2011, 10:00 PM
 
15,727 posts, read 9,116,074 times
Reputation: 6980
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Unless there is something physically wrong with a person it is ALWAYS a choice.

Think about all the advantages of living alone, and there are many. I was married for a total of thirty years, thought I was happy as a clam, but the last twenty I've been without a mate, and realize that I've never been more content in my life.
I wouldn't say celibacy is always a choice. There is something called involuntary celibacy due to shyness, insecurities, struggles with sexuality etc., although those may be what you mean by something wrong?
 
Old 09-10-2011, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,038 posts, read 30,680,506 times
Reputation: 12213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I wouldn't say celibacy is always a choice. There is something called involuntary celibacy due to shyness, insecurities, struggles with sexuality etc., although those may be what you mean by something wrong?
Perhaps I should have said "physically or mentally wrong".
 
Old 09-11-2011, 04:19 AM
 
34,489 posts, read 8,896,494 times
Reputation: 4790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I wouldn't say celibacy is always a choice. There is something called involuntary celibacy due to shyness, insecurities, struggles with sexuality etc., although those may be what you mean by something wrong?
I think that is true, but not too common. The majority of celibates through inclination have to deal with social pressure to not be celibate. Those who use religion as a cover for it are perhaps being hypocritical but I could give them the benefit of the doubt here.

Those others are forced into celibacy against their inclinations and they have to struggle against it, believing that they are freeing themselves from temptation, sin and sacrificing something of value. I think it is a deluded waste, a con - trick and a shame, but it is their choice after all.
 
Old 09-11-2011, 07:24 AM
 
10,452 posts, read 10,231,190 times
Reputation: 12496
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why should you get any breaks? Celibacy is usually a personal choice.
I'm pretty much celibate because I don't really seek sex and I've never really had sex anyway. That is a choice. If I wanted, I could put more effort into trying to get laid. I'm gay too, and that's not a choice. No matter what I do activity-wise, whether I remain celibate or have sex with the opposite sex or the same sex, I will always be gay. What someone does sexually is a choice, but who someone is attracted to sexually isn't a choice.

(I'm not celibate for religious reasons. It has more to do with my lack of a sex drive lol.)
 
Old 09-11-2011, 07:26 AM
 
10,452 posts, read 10,231,190 times
Reputation: 12496
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I think that is true, but not too common. The majority of celibates through inclination have to deal with social pressure to not be celibate. Those who use religion as a cover for it are perhaps being hypocritical but I could give them the benefit of the doubt here.
Definitely true! Same with not drinking and so on. I don't drink alcohol either and lots of people get the impression that I'm religious. I don't have a religious bone in my body! I just have no desire to drink or have sex.

It's almost harder to be celibate in today's world than it is to be promiscuous.
 
Old 09-11-2011, 07:38 AM
 
2,996 posts, read 4,756,594 times
Reputation: 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Your moral decadence is probably another's moral virtue. Do you think it's wrong for women to go topless in public?

Why would it be correct to do so ?
 
Old 09-11-2011, 08:59 AM
 
15,727 posts, read 9,116,074 times
Reputation: 6980
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
It's almost harder to be celibate in today's world than it is to be promiscuous.
I'd say it's much harder, especially as you get older since it's so rare to get beyond 20 and not have sex. You tend to get labeled and ridiculed, and then of course if you do decide to get in a relationship, you lack experience, so people are less likely to want to be in a relationship with a virgin.

Our society definitely pushes promiscuity over virginity.
 
Old 09-11-2011, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,038 posts, read 30,680,506 times
Reputation: 12213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Why would it be correct to do so ?
Why wouldn't it? Men go topless all the time. A woman is not considered topless unless her nipples are showing...The last time I looked, men have nipples too, and some have boobs as large as women.
 
Old 09-11-2011, 12:45 PM
 
2,996 posts, read 4,756,594 times
Reputation: 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why wouldn't it? Men go topless all the time. A woman is not considered topless unless her nipples are showing...The last time I looked, men have nipples too, and some have boobs as large as women.
What are some possible reasons why this wouldnt be advisable for women to do in public ? Please consider then list a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top