Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 02:24 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,769 times

Advertisements

Anyone else have similar experiences with missionaries

Old 09-12-2011, 02:48 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Anyone else have similar experiences with missionaries
mikey, mikey, mikey... Missionaries are trained. They're less honest than military recruiters in wartime. If you're already feeling 'connected' to her, don't meet again. You'll be hooked, she'll be on to the next recruit, and you'll be a sad poster on the relationship forum.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:22 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
mikey, mikey, mikey... Missionaries are trained. They're less honest than military recruiters in wartime. If you're already feeling 'connected' to her, don't meet again. You'll be hooked, she'll be on to the next recruit, and you'll be a sad poster on the relationship forum.
]

Hey, its only a chat about religion - surely I can resist

Old 09-12-2011, 05:00 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,926 times
Quote:
Well now she wants to meet up again, I gave her my phone no - Presumably to talk about the book of Mormon.

Can't seem to get her out of my head, like we connected - perhaps I am being "love bombed" or something - should I be worried?
That is a quite common reaction. Having a long, intimate conversation with a person in a quiet setting is naturally going to make you feel closer and connected to the person. She was paying attention to you, really interested in what you had to say, causing you to reflect on and share your personal, typically private inner thoughts. She shared with you something that means so much to her. It is natural and normal for you to feel attracted to her.

Be careful, because a lot of people end up getting hurt. A number of people complain after having received lots of attention from the missionaries before they get baptized and then very little after they are baptized.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:35 PM

298 posts, read 628,064 times
We have many Mormans in our area and they are some of the nicest people I have ever met. That said I do think their beliefs are on the cult side. One thing no one talks about and I've heard many Mormans are not aware of until much later is something about populating and receiving your own planet. My neighbor who is a very strong Catholic has had many conversations with the morman boys who come to the door. They usually leave with more questions than her.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:00 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Well now she wants to meet up again, I gave her my phone no - Presumably to talk about the book of Mormon.

Can't seem to get her out of my head, like we connected - perhaps I am being "love bombed" or something - should I be worried?
I'm seriously not sure what you mean by "love bombed," but I can tell you one thing... The missionaries must always travel in twos. If you have anything in mind other than hearing what they have to say about the Church, you might as well put it out of your mind. These young women may very well have left boyfriends back home. They may write to them during the year-and-a-half that they're serving their mission, but they may not phone during that time. Missionaries may not date at all while they are serving, and if you have any notion whatsoever that you might like to become romantically involved with one of the missionaries, I'll tell you right now that it's simply not going to happen.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
]

Hey, its only a chat about religion - surely I can resist
What is it exactly that you're intending to "resist"? As I said in my first post, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to not listen to what they have to say. Becoming inforned about a religion that is growing as fast as Mormonism is and that appeals to so many people of such varied backgrounds is a good thing. Nobody's going to force you to convert if it's not for you. You'll just be better informed about the faith than you are right now.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
A number of people complain after having received lots of attention from the missionaries before they get baptized and then very little after they are baptized.
Once a person has been baptized, the missionaries' responsibility pretty much comes to an end. At that point it becomes the ward members' job to make the new convert feel at home in his new faith. Nobody should ever, ever, ever convert to any religion because of his or her feelings for another person, including a missionary.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:12 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
We have many Mormans in our area and they are some of the nicest people I have ever met. That said I do think their beliefs are on the cult side. One thing no one talks about and I've heard many Mormans are not aware of until much later is something about populating and receiving your own planet. My neighbor who is a very strong Catholic has had many conversations with the morman boys who come to the door. They usually leave with more questions than her.
Well there are elements in most religions/denominations beliefs that may seem strange to those outside of that faith.Often those who find them strange don't fully understand what the group in question actually believes anyway,but still uses words like 'cultlike' to describe ideas they think they disagree with.Catholics for example believe that they are literally drinking and eating the blood and flesh of Christ when taking communion,while mormons and protestant churches would view the act to be symbolic rather than literal.....most however wouldn't describe the catholic view as 'cultlike'.I'm sure that those who are raised in areas outside of christian influence find concepts like 'a virgin giving birth to Gods son so that he can grow up and die a horrible death to atone for mans sins so that God wont be 'forced' to make them burn in hell for eternity' to be a bit odd.....Mormons at least believe that most people will end up in some degree of 'heaven',even non-believers,although they also buy into the 'virgin birth/atonement part that is central to christian belief.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
That said I do think their beliefs are on the cult side.
A cult is a church down the street that you don't like. The word has little use outside of religious mud-slinging.

Quote:
One thing no one talks about and I've heard many Mormans are not aware of until much later is something about populating and receiving your own planet.
First off, you are referring to the doctrine of eternal progression. It is not something the Mormons thought up, but was taught anciently and can be supported biblically. Secondly, has it ever occurred to you that if this was something that was actively being taught in the LDS Church, new converts would be hearing about it from day one? This is a peripheral doctrine, not a core doctrine, and one that is very much misunderstood by people who get most of their information from anti-Mormon websites.

Quote:
My neighbor who is a very strong Catholic has had many conversations with the morman boys who come to the door. They usually leave with more questions than her.
Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 09-12-2011 at 07:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality