Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:39 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,207,261 times

Advertisements

God is Imaginary - 50 simple proofs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 05:09 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,587,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
The one on NDE is worth reading.

"...there is a drug called Ketamine that produces all of the elements of an NDE when it is injected into normal, non-dying people."

If one can show that supposed religious experiences or feelings of 'seeing God' or being dogged by an angel can be duplicated by a chemical, it tends to eliminate these as proofs of anything other than probable delusion. Just as the effect of disease on the brain can alter consciousness and is pretty strong evidence that, whatever it is, in the brain is where it is.

I know there was the highly publicized NDE where all sorts of proofs that it couldn't have been just delusion were given. That can't be checked. There are a number of other possibilities which I won't go into, but this by itself is rather anecdotal and can't be regarded as more than an anecdotal claim.

As to the three gospels points, yet again there seems to be this business of accepting the Gospel events as true but some sort of fakery. I have absolutely got to get into the public domain that the Gospels events are gospel invents. Mostly they never ever happened.
[/SIZE]

Old 09-07-2011, 06:01 AM

460 posts, read 591,824 times
Me knows that this person or these persons do not understand the concept or meaning of "proof."

Old 09-07-2011, 06:03 AM

570 posts, read 731,847 times
If every imaginary proof coast one dollar then we wouldn't see a single sentence
But you know what they are saying :
Talking is free of charge !!
So ... keep on talking

Old 09-07-2011, 06:06 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,207,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallisdj View Post
Me knows that this person or these persons do not understand the concept or meaning of "proof."
Actually, I do understand the concept very well. These are philosophical proofs. Science doesn't deal in proofs. It deals in evidence. And this is not scientific evidence.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:13 AM

23,165 posts, read 26,122,269 times
Rather than listing anything, I find that almost everything a believer uses as proof of a god is just what I see as proof against there being one.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:18 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,192,140 times
I didn't look at the link because it's not necessary to come to that conclusion. I came to it in my teens.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallisdj View Post
Do you?

Merriam Webster

Definition of PROOF
a : the cogency of evidence that compels acceptance by the mind of a truth or a fact b : the process or an instance of establishing the validity of a statement especially by derivation from other statements in accordance with principles of reasoning.

I'll go so far as to say that these are arguments that form part of the body of evidence and reasoning that casts doubt on the validity of the God - claims of Bible - based theism.

It is not conclusive proof of course. That takes a lot more work.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
If every imaginary proof coast one dollar then we wouldn't see a single sentence
That'd empty the religion shelves pretty quick. However religion knows that words cost nothing but bring in millions.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:13 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,945,350 times
My favorite piece:

If Paul needed a personal visit from Jesus to know that Jesus was resurrected, then why wouldn't you?

It is an important question for the following reasons:
  • We are told by the Bible that Jesus appeared to hundreds of people.
  • We therefore know that it is OK for Jesus to appear to people -- it does not take away their free will, for example -- because it was OK for Jesus to appear to hundreds of other people.
  • We know that it would be easy for Jesus to appear to everyone all through history, since Jesus is all-powerful and timeless.
  • We know that, if Jesus did reappear to everyone, it would be incredibly helpful. We could all know, personally, that Jesus is resurrected and that Jesus is God. If Paul (and all the other people in the Bible) needed a personal visit to know that Jesus was resurrected, then why not you and me?
  • Yet, we all know that Jesus has not appeared to anyone in 2,000 years.
This has been something I've been saying for a long time. If god would would just do this and get it over with, the question is settled....but it won't or more probably can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality