U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 02:09 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,614,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I think the pantheon of Norse deities deserves at least honorable mention. By Thor's hammer, we call most of the days of the week after them! That's pretty influential.

Tuesday (Tiw)
Wednesday (Woden)
Thursday (Thor)
Friday (Freya)
Thanks! I had no idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 02:14 PM

6,728 posts, read 11,230,966 times
Chuck Norris

Sorry but I just had to say it..

Old 09-14-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think you could find some that aren't religious figures from various nations.

For example Tora-san, a character in a long-running Japanese film franchise. Or Zatoichi, also a kind of legendary film character.

Even from a Western perspective I don't think I saw Captain Nemo or Father Brown. And if we're doing saints I believe the case for St. Christopher being fictional is stronger than that of Nicolas or Valentine and he's a fairly influential saint.
Each culture probably has many more we wouldn't consider.

One of my points to this thread is that even if beliefs are not "factual" - beliefs still can & do have influence & power!
There's a certain energy of team spirit (playing or cheering for a sport team), for a School/University, for a Company, a family...
Then there's also a spirit of giving, of stealing, romance, jealousy, anger, of peace...
The reasons behind such spirits, may not be logically explainable, but nevertheless, they have real influence.

Last edited by SuperSoul; 09-14-2011 at 02:24 PM..

Old 09-14-2011, 02:39 PM

118 posts, read 94,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Yes, those were left out, probably because they cannot be conclusively 100% proven to have never lived.

IMO, God is not limited to a live person, but a process of hoping, seeking & striving for what's best... among all possibilities.
So, I see no reason to deny that, & many reasons to embrace that, even if you don't call it "God." In our human way, we do believe in & pursue what we think is best.
Some use only logic, while others exclusively rely on intuition. Then others take advantage of both.
I do think this is an interesting topic, but would like to point out that no person that has seriously done his or her research, whether scholarly or amatuer, believes that Jesus did not live. Saying otherwise quite simply flies in the face of any credible historical documentation and contemporary research.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:53 PM

34,981 posts, read 9,048,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Each culture probably has many more we wouldn't consider.

One of my points to this thread is that even if beliefs are not "factual" - beliefs still can & do have influence & power!
There's a certain energy of team spirit (playing or cheering for a sport team), for a School/University, for a Company, a family...
Then there's also a spirit of giving, of stealing, romance, jealousy, anger, of peace...
The reasons behind such spirits, may not be logically explainable, but nevertheless, they have real influence.
Absolutely true. All I suggest is that we know when to stop short of believing what doubtfully ever existed, we don't ever hold up one set of ideals or recommendations over the others just because they are in a favourite book not to we even dream of saying that anything takes on a sort of anthropomorphic extra - human, life of its own -without any good evidence to support the idea - simply because we get carried away by it.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:55 PM

5,426 posts, read 5,584,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
I do think this is an interesting topic, but would like to point out that no person that has seriously done his or her research, whether scholarly or amatuer, believes that Jesus did not live. Saying otherwise quite simply flies in the face of any credible historical documentation and contemporary research.
Actually, there are quite a few people who have done their research, both scholarly and amatuer, that believe Jesus was not a real person.

Certainly there are those that disagree as well.

But that's another topic, perhaps you should start a thread and we can argue the points for and against.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:17 PM

118 posts, read 94,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Actually, there are quite a few people who have done their research, both scholarly and amatuer, that believe Jesus was not a real person.

Certainly there are those that disagree as well.

But that's another topic, perhaps you should start a thread and we can argue the points for and against.
I have no doubt that some BELIEVE that... but it is a belief that CONTRADICTS the evidence. They simply don't want to believe. In fact, I don't think any of my friends and colleagues that are atheists will doubt the fact that Jesus was not a real person.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:49 PM

5,426 posts, read 5,584,284 times
Quote:
I have no doubt that some BELIEVE that... but it is a belief that CONTRADICTS the evidence. They simply don't want to believe. In fact, I don't think any of my friends and colleagues that are atheists will doubt the fact that Jesus was not a real person.
Have you looked deeply into the subject - not just from the sources to confirm he was real, but also from those that state it is unlikely? There is a stronger argument then you give credit to that suggest Jesus was a parable or a myth, and there may have not even been a historical Jesus to begin with.

Let's start here: How do you explain the fact that Jesus didn't write any of the bible himself, none of the bible was written in Jesus life time, and that with one or two argued exceptions, the bible was written by people who never claimed to have met Jesus?

That certainly is more consistent with someone writting a myth after the fact, then with Jesus being a real historical figure.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Personally, I don't know if there was a Jesus that lived & did all those things written in the New Testament, especially considering the many corrupt hands, the writings have gone through to obtain the current bible canon versions. Maybe Jesus represents the goodness in everyone - ideals to strive for. I believe Christ, as theorized to be originally believed by the first Christians & Gnostics... was a Spiritual goal - or Spiritual evolution.

Either way, Jesus is a personification of spirituality - which does have influence. If you take the writings about him wipping people in the temple, to influence you to wip people (physically or verbally harming) when you think they are sinning... I'd say that influence is unhealthy & counterproductive. But if you take the writings of him standing for truth, seeking the kingdom (experience of God within), loving others & teaching tollerance of all people (including enemies) - then I'd say that influence is healthy & productive.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Absolutely true. All I suggest is that we know when to stop short of believing what doubtfully ever existed, we don't ever hold up one set of ideals or recommendations over the others just because they are in a favourite book not to we even dream of saying that anything takes on a sort of anthropomorphic extra - human, life of its own -without any good evidence to support the idea - simply because we get carried away by it.
I see what you mean about getting carried away... because religious beliefs can & have contributed to fear, shame, depression & other mental illnesses.
Yet, they've also helped in giving hope, a sense of community & purpose, higher standards - especially benefiting health.

I don't know if it's possible to never get carried away by what doesn't exist... Just think about childhood memories based on our limited childish perspectives...
Just a smell can stir up all kinds of feelings, based on something that doesn't exist now - our perspective years ago.
Still, I realize it's a mark of a grown adult to begin thinking more independently, not based on religious doctrines.

I think the key is to harmonize both intellect (logic) & intuition (passion).
Easier said than done! ha
Who, when in the moment of passion, (singing, dancing, sex, etc.) thinks logically? Wouldn't it ruin the moment?
Maybe we just need to kindof logically or intuitively check in here & there, to make sure we're keeping balanced.

How would you suggest living passionately, without getting carried away by it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality