U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:42 PM

3,964 posts, read 2,757,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Lack of ability to empathize is common in Narcissist and psychopaths.

Confusion in other's non-verbal communication is a symptom of autism.

But those are hardly what people would normally call a "strange skill."

I never said I lacked the ability to empathize. I merely wonder if I do it more slowly than most people. I think I have very good non-verbal communication recognition abilities. When I see people, I feel for them. When I don't see them, even someone close to me, I tend to not feel for them, or if I do, it takes some imagination. I have very few of the symptoms of narcisissm, psychopathy, or sociopathy.

Narcissism and psychopathy are not skills so much as curses, but what about autism? I had a friend who was slightly autistic, just slightly autistic, to the extent he acted very much like everyone else, though a little strange. When shy, he'd go stand in a corner. I think he still should have been a videogame designer like he'd wanted to during youth, rather than his current dream of something involving the word "aerospace engineering," though I don't believe he's made it into that career yet. I have no close friends or family members who are autistic, but I don't understand why it would make sense to depict such a lifelong state negatively, so that such a person would hear about how terrible their life is, from others, every day of their life. My buddy seemed like, in many ways, he wanted to be treated like everyone else, although I cannot be sure, as he was about as emotionally revealing as a two-by-four.

Anyway, regarding new traits which could very well be lifelong, I see no reason to refer to them in a negative light, until it should be proven that they are negative, or can be cured, because anything else could very well be depressing to the afflicted. Any disagreements?

Granted, I'm not some sort of morally pure sociopath who does what is right only because it is right, but I may be a little off...and I have been wondering about that my entire life, and I have been wondering if anyone else has been wondering about anything similar.

Quote:
How is this related to Religion and Philosophy?
Well, I'm pretty sure it will lead into it eventually somehow. Hopefully, it kind of did with the above speech.

Last edited by Clintone; 09-11-2011 at 09:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 09:47 PM

12,944 posts, read 18,549,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
It involves a complex paradigm between Friedrich Nietzche's thoughts on chaos as it applies to dancing combined with elements of Plato's Cave Allegory mixed in with feelings of clairvoyance and extra sensory perception that may be borne from Mysticism, Religion, or good old Biological Intuition. Depending on your beliefs of course....

Peace
Or in other words, Nietzche's little know theory that depriving a person of all sensory perception except flatulence eventually leads to delusional false psychokinetic episodes that in turn encourage disturbed people to sign onto anonymous internet forums and tell the world how 'effing ice-cold they are towards death and violence.

My suggestion to the OP... join the military where killing is a fun and wholesome pastime.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:51 PM

1,738 posts, read 733,863 times
Clintone- in all seriousness, I don't think this is the place to find out if what you are thinking and feeling (or not feeling) is usual or common. I think you should speak to a licensed psychiatrist. Seriously. They are the ones who know what the deal is when it comes to "typical" human behaviors, so ask one and then you won't have to wonder anymore.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1mom View Post
Clintone- in all seriousness, I don't think this is the place to find out if what you are thinking and feeling (or not feeling) is usual or common. I think you should speak to a licensed psychiatrist. Seriously. They are the ones who know what the deal is when it comes to "typical" human behaviors, so ask one and then you won't have to wonder anymore.
That seems like a better idea, although, my flaw was not recognizing that it would be innapropriate to make such a forum topic here. I recognize that that is what you are implying. I've found that talking to people is the best solution for most problems though, regular people.

Chango: You're very funny. I have no urge to shoot anyone, in case you're not being funny, although we don't know eachother, so for all you know I do have an urge to shoot people. Ah well, at least I don't know were any of you live. Wow, that sounds disturbing even to me. The bottom line is that I have zero urge to shoot anyone.

Last edited by Clintone; 09-11-2011 at 10:44 PM..

Old 09-11-2011, 10:28 PM

12,944 posts, read 18,549,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post

Point of emphasis: I am not a sociopath. Nobody be frightened. I posess a fair amount of evidence to prove this. In college, I was a member of a college community service group. I played with kittens at an animal shelter, and not one of them was ever harmed. It was coed, and there were women who I was friends with, who would gladly explain that I never attempted to kill them.
Well you got me on that one.

People deal with stuff in different ways; the first time I watched someone die I locked myself in a bathroom and cried my eyes out for an hour over a total stranger. But when you see it daily, you have to deal with it somehow, and that somehow is by becoming cold to it. (I was a LEO BTW, not a psychopath)

Don't loose your humanity. I could never be innocent and emotional about suffering and death anymore, and I often wish I hadn't left that part of me behind when I was a kid. Especially when I find myself trying to console others about lost loved ones; I just can't seem to do anything but revert back to chilly detachment and black humor...

Old 09-12-2011, 12:24 AM

Alright, thank you.

Also, your jokes are funny.

There. That should have been a sufficiently mortifying response for any psychologists, psychiatrists, or counselors who might read it. I apologize in advance.

Okay then, I'll try again: Keep your head up.

How many brain cells were killed that time? Was it less than before? Was it an improvement?

Seriously though, thanks for the advice.

Last edited by Clintone; 09-12-2011 at 12:39 AM..

Old 09-12-2011, 03:44 AM

18,406 posts, read 18,692,796 times
It could be chemical
It could be environmental.
Some people that were hurt in a fundamental way when young, even if it is unacknowledged, build a wall around their emotions to avoid it happening again so what may be painful things to others don't apparently have as much of an affect on them.....at least not outwardly.
There, some amateur physcological BS for the day.....or maybe not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality