U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:38 AM

11 posts, read 21,730 times

Advertisements

Well, I have qualms with equating Mormonism with Christianity personally, and think it's inaccurate based on the fact that Mormonism doesn't acknowledge the trinity or the immaculate conception amongst other key doctrinal points. It's more like a revising of the bible as envisioned by Joe Smith. I'll be moving to the area soon, so I will likely have to avoid too much conversation with folks on religious topics, as we're bound to end up less friendly than when we started.

Before any mod gets bent out of shape and goes on an infraction fest, I am only stating this to explain why not everyone views Mormonism as equivalent to Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 10:23 AM

21,280 posts, read 20,917,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
Well, I have qualms with equating Mormonism with Christianity personally, and think it's inaccurate based on the fact that Mormonism doesn't acknowledge the trinity or the immaculate conception amongst other key doctrinal points.
Jesus Christ's own Apostles never acknowledged the Trinity or the Immaculate Conception, either, so Mormons are in pretty good company. Today, Protestants don't even believe in the Immaculate Conception, so I guess they're not Christians either. A Christian is a person who believes that Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten Son of God, is his Savior and the only means by which he might be reconciled with God. The closest thing we have to an actual definition of the word "Christian" is from Jesus Christ himself when He said that men would be able to recognize His disciples by the love they showed to one another.

Quote:
It's more like a revising of the bible as envisioned by Joe Smith.
That's utter nonsense. You have a hell of a lot to learn before you even become marginally conversant on the topic of Mormonism.

Quote:
I'll be moving to the area soon, so I will likely have to avoid too much conversation with folks on religious topics, as we're bound to end up less friendly than when we started.
That's for sure. I don't think you're going to need to even talk to people about religion for them to pick up on your religious bigotry. Trust me, you're going to hate living in Utah.

(I just checked out your links. CARM? You get your information on Mormonism from CARM? I bet you get your information on world events from the National Enquirer, don't you? )

Old 09-14-2011, 08:21 PM

313 posts, read 628,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Duece View Post
delaneyrudd,
I think it's safe to assume you are of the Mormon faith. I apologize if my concerns offend you or anybody else on this forum. You can not blame a man for trying to make an informed decision for his family rather than regret it later..
As for other comments and opinions please keep them coming.
Thanks! DD
I am not and my post was overly sarcastic. Sorry to all

Old 09-15-2011, 08:51 PM

21 posts, read 47,046 times
This has been an interesting tread! One thing I can say is my wife, daughter, and myself spent 2 weeks in lovely St. George, religious beliefs never came up with any of the people we met. We are not LDS nor Catholic but we are Christians and what I hear from this tread is a lot of non-Christian babble. Utah is a conservative state from what we experienced meaning love of God, Country, Family and your neighbors, not necessarily in any order but equally.

We can't wait for our house to sell and move! If you like conflict and bigotry stay where you are or move out. The people we met would never have a conversation like this.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:17 PM

18 posts, read 63,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyRudd View Post
I am not and my post was overly sarcastic. Sorry to all
Apology accepted!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:40 PM

18 posts, read 63,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmovingfromgreenbay View Post
This has been an interesting tread! One thing I can say is my wife, daughter, and myself spent 2 weeks in lovely St. George, religious beliefs never came up with any of the people we met. We are not LDS nor Catholic but we are Christians and what I hear from this tread is a lot of non-Christian babble. Utah is a conservative state from what we experienced meaning love of God, Country, Family and your neighbors, not necessarily in any order but equally.

We can't wait for our house to sell and move! If you like conflict and bigotry stay where you are or move out. The people we met would never have a conversation like this.

My family and I have only been to Utah twice and stayed in SG both times. Not once have we met anyone unfriendly or intimidating in any way. My wife and boys were there for about two hours and realized that's where they want to be. My self on the other hand, love what I see but find it difficult to leave the only lifestyle I know. We have lived in the Suburbs of Chicago our whole life. Now as I'm getting older (44) quality of life seems more important every day. I really feel this would be much easier to achieve in Utah than Chicago. Hopefully doing my due diligence and taking in everyones comments will help me feel confident on my life changing decision. Thanks for the comments and opinions and please keep them coming.

Last edited by Mr Duece; 09-16-2011 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-21-2011, 03:52 AM

11 posts, read 21,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Jesus Christ's own Apostles never acknowledged the Trinity or the Immaculate Conception, either, so Mormons are in pretty good company. Today, Protestants don't even believe in the Immaculate Conception, so I guess they're not Christians either. A Christian is a person who believes that Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten Son of God, is his Savior and the only means by which he might be reconciled with God. The closest thing we have to an actual definition of the word "Christian" is from Jesus Christ himself when He said that men would be able to recognize His disciples by the love they showed to one another.
Would you like to reference the biblical verse that defines this Immaculate Conception (this is in regards to Mary and her being freed from sin, not related to the virginal conception of Jesus; just to be sure we're on the same page)? That is a Catholic view foremost, derived from tradition and, like many other interpretations and theological inventions conceived by man, Catholicism has elevated it (akin to good works being enough to allow one passage into heaven, the supposed existence of purgatory, etc.) to a hallowed and revered status. Reading about the history of the concept, there was dissension among both the Catholics and the Protestants. Martin Luther even stated as such: "Mary is conceived in sin just like us." That's the problem with relying excessively upon loose or out of context biblical interpretation or texts that have been written since the bible.

Regarding the rest of your post, you took issue with one of my sources but merely called the other one "utter nonsense" (apparently, Christians can't possibly critically look at Mormon doctrine and compare it with the gospel or the remainder of the Word, etc. and be trusted to refute it). Using one's own words (in this case, Joe Smith) to clarify some areas where his conclusions are not exactly in step with the Bible is not bigotry. But since you initiated the name-calling, I think our conversation is done here. Biblical truth cannot be treated as shifting sands, or else we might as well call it quits and become agnostics or atheists (in all truth, my faith in any particular monotheistic religion has certainly been shaken and I would be remiss to say my doubts haven't led me in an agnostic direction but most certainly not atheistic). And don't presume to know what would or would not make me miserable. The solitude of places like Zion NP just might overshadow any qualms I have with the differing (to my own) beliefs held by the followers of Joseph Smith.

Last edited by vinnie97; 09-21-2011 at 04:03 AM..

Old 09-21-2011, 04:20 PM

21,280 posts, read 20,917,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
Would you like to reference the biblical verse that defines this Immaculate Conception (this is in regards to Mary and her being freed from sin, not related to the virginal conception of Jesus; just to be sure we're on the same page)?
Quote:
I think our conversation is done here.
Make up your mind. You want a discussion or not? Personally, I don't, and I'm really surprised that your post was not deleted since it is completely inappropriate except on the Religion and Philosophy or Christianity forums.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:17 PM

12,917 posts, read 18,480,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Duece View Post
Oops! I apologize for the typo. My family and I are very open minded but we don't want to feel like an outcast either. I do agree with RSFMomma though, thinking people's opinion of the LDS is not entirely accurate. I appreciate the comments and all are welcome. Keep them coming. :-) DD

I don't know... you might like the LSD scene in St George...

I tell you one thing... spend too much time in the sun during the summer down there and you won't need to lick stamps to experience interesting psychological phenomena.

Anyways, don't worry about it. St George is probably one of the LEAST mormon-ish cities in the state (minus Park City, anyway). It's a beautiful place and far more cosmopolitan (If Utah could be "cosmopolitan" anyway) than a lot of other places here in the state.Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-22-2011 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: inappropriate in this forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality