U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-15-2011, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Warren, Michigan
5,298 posts, read 3,902,821 times
Reputation: 192

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OStater View Post
This is among the dumber statements I've ever read.

Some kids believe in Santa, some kids don't believe in Santa, therefore Santa exists.

How about that, moron?

Interesting as to why you result to calling me names. I encourage you to read my future thread on Sarcasm, and it will go into " Why you do this." Why its a need in communication for some people, and why it makes Atheism look bad on some boards.

 
Old 09-15-2011, 08:52 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,062,067 times
Reputation: 14878
Not only would a spell check aid in furthering your goal to foster greater communication of ideas, but some sort of adherence to the basic rules of grammar might help as well.

Am I to suppose that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Why its a need in communication for some people, and why it makes Atheism look bad on some boards.
is actually an attempt to say;
Why is it a needed (name calling, I assume) by some people when communicating with others? Name calling makes Atheist look bad of some boards.
If that is a correct translation, allow me to answer the question. There comes a point in the conversation where calm, measured and rational arguments cease to be affective. At such times it is just more efficient to, shall we say, call a spade a spade. Hope that helps.
 
Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Warren, Michigan
5,298 posts, read 3,902,821 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

If that is a correct translation, allow me to answer the question. There comes a point in the conversation where calm, measured and rational arguments cease to be affective. At such times it is just more efficient to, shall we say, call a spade a spade. Hope that helps.

Thats like saying there comes a point in time that being respectful is not effective, so one may as well become disrespectful.

I simply disagree with that.
 
Old 09-16-2011, 04:15 AM
 
34,508 posts, read 8,896,494 times
Reputation: 4790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
It makes perfect sense to me. In order for freedom to really mean something, slavery has to be included in the picture. In order for belief to be relevant, unbelief had to exist. In order for perfection to be a reality, imperfection had to exist. In order for Theism to be real, Atheism had to exist.

Thus, Atheism is proof of Theism, and both are proof of God.
NO! It is proof only of beliefs. It is not proof that either belief is true.

"In my Theism, it is an acceptable belief" That it makes sense to you means nothing. Your argument that you get so much attention also means nothing other than you constantly make such absurd claims that we cannot help explaining where you are wrong. 'Silence gives assent' the saying goes. Bullcrap attracts clamorous disagreement
 
Old 09-16-2011, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,010,717 times
Reputation: 12105
I may have finally gotten the real message intended via the thread (it was never meant to be a discussion, I don't think any of Mickiel's threads are). The idea here is to promote atheism, that the more ridiculous a "Christian" sounds, the less likely thinking people are going to associate with and would rather be atheists.
 
Old 09-16-2011, 08:43 AM
 
7,811 posts, read 5,061,833 times
Reputation: 2972
Quite possible EG given the user in question openly admitted he is trying his best to twist logic. Such an honest admission of dishonesty I would not have expected but I am glad the user made it.
 
Old 09-16-2011, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,010,717 times
Reputation: 12105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Quite possible EG given the user in question openly admitted he is trying his best to twist logic. Such an honest admission of dishonesty I would not have expected but I am glad the user made it.
There is no better way for satan to operate than in a guise as one overflowing with religiosity.
 
Old 09-16-2011, 08:48 AM
 
7,811 posts, read 5,061,833 times
Reputation: 2972
I have often wondered if Mickiel and users like him such as Squall-Lionheart are actually atheists in disguise and are trying to sabotage religion by being consistently ridiculous, dishonest, insulting and transparent in order to make the religious look bad.

The alternative is that they really are religious and really do think they are on here fighting for their faith and are somehow helping.... somehow oblivious to the fact that they are harming their own cause more than helping it. If there was a god, and I wish it, I would seriously not want these people on my "side". They are an embarrassment to themselves and people who actually hold a genuine faith.
 
Old 09-16-2011, 09:16 AM
 
30 posts, read 32,308 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Thats like saying there comes a point in time that being respectful is not effective, so one may as well become disrespectful.

I simply disagree with that.
Thomas Jefferson didn't:

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus."

So far, just about everything you've said on this thread is unintelligible. So......
 
Old 09-16-2011, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,010,717 times
Reputation: 12105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I have often wondered if Mickiel and users like him such as Squall-Lionheart are actually atheists in disguise and are trying to sabotage religion by being consistently ridiculous, dishonest, insulting and transparent in order to make the religious look bad.
That is the conclusion I can draw. In fact, I know of people who have turned away from organized religion for such reasons. I'm actually one of them as well. I would rather not be counted among these. How appropriate:

"As to the Christian system of faith, it appears to me as a species of Atheism — a sort of religious denial of God. It professes to believe in a man rather than in God. It is a compound made up chiefly of Manism with but little Deism, and is as near to Atheism as twilight is to darkness."
- Thomas Paine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top