U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-19-2011, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Warren, Michigan
5,298 posts, read 3,903,458 times
Reputation: 192

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Of course you're free to disagree. But your misconception doesn't alter the reality that atheists don't spend much time contemplating the god claims of believers. Any more than believers obsess over the competing dieties that they reject.

I seriously disagree with this! I would dare say that most Atheist contemplate God everyday, in some form or fashion. Those who post here everyday are proof of that!

 
Old 09-19-2011, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Warren, Michigan
5,298 posts, read 3,903,458 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

If you fail to comprehend this fact, then no comment you make about atheism is worth a damn.

Come now, use of such language is just not nesscersary. I don't use such negative terminology towards you. I encourage you to communicate with me on a higher level. Come now, you can do it.
 
Old 09-19-2011, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Florida
18,293 posts, read 18,550,890 times
Reputation: 20978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
I seriously disagree with this! I would dare say that most Atheist contemplate God everyday, in some form or fashion. Those who post here everyday are proof of that!
You think the small handful of people posting here represent millions of other people??
Before stumbling across this forum while on C_D, it would only eneter my mind if somebody else brought the subject up.
'I would dare say' that is closer to the truth for most atheists
 
Old 09-19-2011, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Warren, Michigan
5,298 posts, read 3,903,458 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You think the small handful of people posting here represent millions of other people??
Before stumbling across this forum while on C_D, it would only eneter my mind if somebody else brought the subject up.
'I would dare say' that is closer to the truth for most atheists

The small handful of Atheist here speak as if they speak for all Atheist, I see that comming out of them everyday. And I disagree with your suggestion that there are millions of Atheist; ( Gallop Poll)- in 1944 the percentage of Atheist was 4%, in 2007 the percentage was still 4%. What is not growing in Atheism is gender -Atheist are 73 % male and White. Which is interesting.
 
Old 09-19-2011, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Florida
18,293 posts, read 18,550,890 times
Reputation: 20978
Look again.
Go ahead and cut the numbers way way down if youd like and you'll still get millions
Adherents.com: Atheist Statistics | Agnostic
 
Old 09-19-2011, 11:41 AM
 
2,949 posts, read 2,253,489 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Look again.
Go ahead and cut the numbers way way down if youd like and you'll still get millions
Adherents.com: Atheist Statistics | Agnostic
Agnostics are not atheist; they are just a community willing to admit they have no proof one way or the other-bravo.
 
Old 09-19-2011, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Warren, Michigan
5,298 posts, read 3,903,458 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Look again.
Go ahead and cut the numbers way way down if youd like and you'll still get millions
Adherents.com: Atheist Statistics | Agnostic

I don't agree with the Zukerman poll, because it mixes in Agnostics with Atheist, and in my view, the majority of their people polled are Agnostic.
 
Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 AM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,683,849 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
I would dare say that most Atheist contemplate God everyday, in some form or fashion. Those who post here everyday are proof of that!

That may be, but people need to be aware that contemplating an issue does not necessarily equal belief, nor does it make a person agnostic.

Even someone who acknowledges the possibility of a God can be an atheist. Agnostics are people who believe there is something, they just know their particular thoughts on the issue cannot be proven.

Millions of atheists contemplating the idea of God does not mean God exists any more than contemplating a unicorn might exist causes it to be real. And that contemplation does not prove that they are actually agnostic.
 
Old 09-19-2011, 12:09 PM
 
2,949 posts, read 2,253,489 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
That may be, but people need to be aware that contemplating an issue does not necessarily equal belief, nor does it make a person agnostic.

Even someone who acknowledges the possibility of a God can be an atheist. Agnostics are people who believe there is something, they just know their particular thoughts on the issue cannot be proven.

Millions of atheists contemplating the idea of God does not mean God exists any more than contemplating a unicorn might exist causes it to be real. And that contemplation does not prove that they are actually agnostic.
The world is composed mainly of Theists: people who believe in the existence of one or more Gods and/or Goddesses out of the many thousands that have been worshipped down through history.
A minority of people are strong Atheists who deny that any deity or deities exist. They believe that the hundreds of the religious creation stories that exist in the world have it all wrong: A deity or deities did not create humans; it was humans who created -- and continue to create -- the many thousands of Gods and Goddess that people have devoutly and sincerely worshiped over hundreds of thousands of years.
However, there is a third group who, when asked whether a deity or deities exist, don't have a yes or no answer. They are the 10% of American adults who hold Agnostic beliefs about God's existence.
Some agnostics who enjoy religious discussion, fellowship, or ritual join a local congregation of the Unitarian-Universalist Association or an Ethical Culture group. Many others are solitary Agnostics.

Source:
Agnosticism
http://www.religioustolerance.org/
 
Old 09-19-2011, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Warren, Michigan
5,298 posts, read 3,903,458 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
That may be, but people need to be aware that contemplating an issue does not necessarily equal belief, nor does it make a person agnostic.

Even someone who acknowledges the possibility of a God can be an atheist. Agnostics are people who believe there is something, they just know their particular thoughts on the issue cannot be proven.

Millions of atheists contemplating the idea of God does not mean God exists any more than contemplating a unicorn might exist causes it to be real. And that contemplation does not prove that they are actually agnostic.

I disagree. The root reason that Atheist contemplate God, is because it was God who programmed them. This is the reason why Theist contemplate God, because it was God who set their belief.

Atheist simply " Sense God in their contemplation", because that programming by God, is actually sensed by the Atheist at some level; but they fight that sense off. Atheist are generally smart people, they are 28% more educated than Theist. They know, deep inside, that they are drawn inwardly to the question of God, but their intellect refuses to bow to their suspicions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top