U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-19-2011, 01:22 PM
 
4,047 posts, read 4,395,020 times
Reputation: 1321

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Atheism is proof that Theism exist; or neither would.
You're on to something here.. Atheism does not mean God exists, only that theism exists. Yes, there are theists, we don't deny the existence of them!

 
Old 09-19-2011, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Warren, Michigan
5,298 posts, read 3,925,526 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
You're on to something here.. Atheism does not mean God exists, only that theism exists. Yes, there are theists, we don't deny the existence of them!

Well thats right, one is proof of the other. One dominates the other. Theism totally dominates Atheism, even in the spelling of the term, A- Theist; Theism is the vast majority. And in my view, the majority rules. So I lean toward the majority being right that there exist a God.
 
Old 09-19-2011, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,057 posts, read 30,855,068 times
Reputation: 12229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Well thats right, one is proof of the other. One dominates the other. Theism totally dominates Atheism, even in the spelling of the term, A- Theist; Theism is the vast majority. And in my view, the majority rules. So I lean toward the majority being right that there exist a God.
Do you think the "majority rules" was correct when blacks were being discriminated against in your country years ago?
 
Old 09-19-2011, 01:55 PM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,709,311 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
The world is composed mainly of Theists: people who believe in the existence of one or more Gods and/or Goddesses out of the many thousands that have been worshipped down through history.
A minority of people are strong Atheists who deny that any deity or deities exist. They believe that the hundreds of the religious creation stories that exist in the world have it all wrong: A deity or deities did not create humans; it was humans who created -- and continue to create -- the many thousands of Gods and Goddess that people have devoutly and sincerely worshiped over hundreds of thousands of years.
However, there is a third group who, when asked whether a deity or deities exist, don't have a yes or no answer. They are the 10% of American adults who hold Agnostic beliefs about God's existence.
Some agnostics who enjoy religious discussion, fellowship, or ritual join a local congregation of the Unitarian-Universalist Association or an Ethical Culture group. Many others are solitary Agnostics.

Source:
Agnosticism
http://www.religioustolerance.org/

I simply go by the established defintions and observe what I see people who call themselves Atheists say most of the time.

A friend of mine says he is an atheist by choice, an agnostic by necessity. What he means by that is that he cannot prove a diety of some kind doesn't exist but he does not reason that any actually does.

While all those studies might be worth considering a person who believes that it is possible a diety exists is not necessarily by definition an agnostic.

A person can contemplate the idea and possibility of something and not believe that the idea is true.

Even Dawkins contemplates the idea, and most rejects the assertions of religious thought, but that doesn't mean he is agnostic.


By definition, an Atheist can contemplate deities all day long, but until they actually believe one exists, they are not agnostic.

An agnostic by definition believes some kind of supernatural supreme entity exists, they just usually make no statement that they can prove it or that anyone else is required to believe as they do for any reason.

That is my thoughts on the matter anyway.
 
Old 09-19-2011, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Florida
18,452 posts, read 18,752,329 times
Reputation: 21226
The statement being countered was
" And I disagree with your suggestion that there are millions of Atheist"
"The link I posted showed both atheists and agnostics which is why I also allowed the numbers to be reduced by almost any desired percentage.(being reasonable and even using those given by Mickiels reference)
That still would show that there are,indeed,millions of atheists.
 
Old 09-19-2011, 02:05 PM
 
4,047 posts, read 4,395,020 times
Reputation: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Well thats right, one is proof of the other. One dominates the other. Theism totally dominates Atheism, even in the spelling of the term, A- Theist; Theism is the vast majority. And in my view, the majority rules. So I lean toward the majority being right that there exist a God.
So back when the Majority of people believed the earth was flat, the earth really was flat?

Appeal to popularity fallacy.
Argumentum ad populum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
Old 09-19-2011, 02:07 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
8,388 posts, read 8,142,733 times
Reputation: 4070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
I seriously disagree with this! I would dare say that most Atheist contemplate God everyday, in some form or fashion. Those who post here everyday are proof of that!

Again, you're free to disagree.

And you're also free to hold your delusion.
 
Old 09-19-2011, 02:18 PM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,709,311 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
I disagree. The root reason that Atheist contemplate God, is because it was God who programmed them. This is the reason why Theist contemplate God, because it was God who set their belief.

Atheist simply " Sense God in their contemplation", because that programming by God, is actually sensed by the Atheist at some level; but they fight that sense off. Atheist are generally smart people, they are 28% more educated than Theist. They know, deep inside, that they are drawn inwardly to the question of God, but their intellect refuses to bow to their suspicions.

Nothing establishes that God programmed the atheist, you point is a fallacy, just because someone contemplates something does not mean God programmed them to do that.

If another person has influenced upon someone the idea of God, they may contemplate and reject that idea, that does not inherantly mean they have rejected God.

Your point here attempts to make the case that Atheists only exist because God exists, but you not only misunderstand atheism you self define things as it is convenient, ignoring where your arguments do not match.

Here you are basically saying that an Atheist deep down believes, but outwardly refuses to acknowledge that. Inherantly based upon that, Atheism is an illusion, so if a Atheism doesn't actually exist, then neither does God based upon your original assertion.

The reason I point that out is most of what your trying to argue is either circular or a fallacy, none of which can provide any tangible evidence for anything.
 
Old 09-19-2011, 02:19 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,261,740 times
Reputation: 14879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
The root reason that Atheist contemplate God, is because it was God who programmed them.
Personally my thought processes aren't governed by some binary code so those processes weren't "programed" at the factory but rather socialized over many years of parental and social tutelage. After years of being taught that something is a fact and years of being taught one set of "facts" which don't seem to jibe with other sets of facts one does either one of three things, you just keep accepting what mommy and daddy taught you, you modify those beliefs so that they be reconciled or you just come to the conclusion (the correct one in my opinion) that the facts are clearly in favor of rejecting propositions one and two. For the life me I can't understand why theist can understand this.
 
Old 09-19-2011, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,057 posts, read 30,855,068 times
Reputation: 12229
I think someone here has been overdosing...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top