Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:10 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Where did oppisition come from? From evolution? Why would men begin to fight and oppose each other? Oh is that the natural result of something physical within us? Explain to me how " The war gene developed?" Explain to me scientifically why humans began to kill each other?
1) You are putting the cart before the horse with that question. To ask "why humans began to kill each other" is to tacitly assume that there existed a time when humans did not kill each other. Intra-specific killing is characteristic of all our closest relatives, with perhaps the exception of bonobos (who do, however, hunt and kill other primates). It appears to be for African apes at least a shared derived behavior, and that we were killing each other even before we were human.

2) The idea that there actually is a specific "war gene" is oversimplified. Humans (and our fellow apes) have a broad set of behaviors that contribute to a potential for war given certain environmental circumstances. Those circumstances generally are associated with competition for resources.

Quote:
What Chimpanzee Warfare Reveals About Humans

Max Fisher Jun 22, 2010

A groundbreaking ten-year study on the behavior of chimpanzees, reported in the journal Current Biology, reveals that humanity's closest living relative expresses a propensity for human-like warfare. The nature of chimpanzee war, in which tribes patrol their own territory and violently annex the territory of other tribes in search of land and resources, is startlingly similar to the warfare that has consistently emerged throughout human history.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:11 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Well I'll be adding to that as time goes on, you can't just give everything in one post; its too much proof to cover.
Why not cut it short and just state that everything that exists, to you, is proof?
Rats,noses,envy,tomato seeds, toenails,and on and on and on.........................

Old 09-12-2011, 10:12 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
I didn't claim that you had said that he speaks to you. You just seemed to be making the claim that you have some kind of first-hand knowledge of what he wants, what he thinks, etc. Because I have to tell you, frankly, if it is the Bible you are relying on for your information, that just doesn't do it for me.Quote

I have NEVER claimed to have firsthand anything from God. If anything, I continually claim that I do not know him. The archives will bear that out. And I understand the bible does not do it for you, it does it for me. One mans ending is simply the other mans beginning; were just different!

Well, that made no sense at all. Look, I don't doubt that you are a man of faith. That is your right. I respect your right to believe. But surely you must know that blindly following a religious belief just doesn't do it for a lot of people. For instance, I'm a geologist. So I'd truly love to believe that the world was created in 7 days - but I know that it simply is not true, as I know that so many other claims made in the Bible are not true. I mean, come on. It was written by nomads in the desert to distract people from the fact that they lived in a desert! It is mythology, folklore. That's all it is.

I am not a man of Faith, I have either none or very little. And the world was not created in 7 days, thats a belief some Christians have. I know, like you, thats simply not true, but I don't know how long God took. I suspect it was thousands or millions of our earth years. Thats my view. And " How" the bible was writen convinces me of its orgin being from God.

It was writen over a span of 1500 years, by 40 different authors. Man, I could stop right there, simply incredible! These authors were from 40 different generations; did you read that, 40 different generations and they couldnot have compared notes. Simply astounding! It was writen on 3 different continents; Africa, Asia and Europe- thats unbelivable! And furthermore writen in 3 different languages. It was the first book ever printed and has been a best seller for over 400 years running, even though thousands are given away free.

Thats NOT mythology, its fact! Its no way this is a normal book.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Why not cut it short and just state that everything that exists, to you, is proof?
Rats,noses,envy,tomato seeds, toenails,and on and on and on.........................

Well thats fine with me.

Everything that exist is proof of God in my view.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Well thats fine with me.

Everything that exist is proof of God in my view.
Just think about all the typing that saves.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,065 times
Quote:
I am not a man of Faith, I have either none or very little. And the world was not created in 7 days, thats a belief some Christians have. I know, like you, thats simply not true, but I don't know how long God took. I suspect it was thousands or millions of our earth years. Thats my view. And " How" the bible was writen convinces me of its orgin being from God.

It was writen over a span of 1500 years, by 40 different authors. Man, I could stop right there, simply incredible! These authors were from 40 different generations; did you read that, 40 different generations and they couldnot have compared notes. Simply astounding! It was writen on 3 different continents; Africa, Asia and Europe- thats unbelivable! And furthermore writen in 3 different languages. It was the first book ever printed and has been a best seller for over 400 years running, even though thousands are given away free.

Thats NOT mythology, its fact! Its no way this is a normal book.
Erm, and you are NOT a man of faith? Wow, that just - takes my breath away!

Old 09-12-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
It was writen over a span of 1500 years, by 40 different authors. Man, I could stop right there, simply incredible! These authors were from 40 different generations; did you read that, 40 different generations and they couldnot have compared notes.
Let's stop right there. Sure they could have "compared notes!" Older books of the Bible were always available to authors of later books... and this does not even take into account how much redaction, editing, addition and rescension was done to earlier books by later authors. The most obvious example can be found by how the authors of the Gospels practically fell over themselves in the effort to try and match Jesus stories with Old Testament "prophesies" of which they were already aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel
Simply astounding! It was writen on 3 different continents; Africa, Asia and Europe- thats unbelivable!
Not if you look at a map and realize that the Levant actually sits at exactly the confluence of those three continents. If it had also been written in Australia or North America... now that would have been unbelievable. Unless you are a Mormon.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placate Them View Post
Indeed, the people who propagated the insane myths in the bible "predicted" that people would react to this nonsense by not believing it. Those believing the myths attempting to wipe out those who don't believe the myths didn't help their cause.

That's not supernatural, that's just a quality con-job.

And it's very simple why humans began to kill each other: Humans are animals, and animals fight. Elk lock horns. Bears wrestle over mates. Lions kill each other over food.

It's no different for primates (us). We just have bigger horns. Plus, idiots devised supernatural beliefs and so brainwashed their children into believing them that they were motivated to kill for them. Good job, theists!

Well I disagree, we are not continuous with the idiot hierarchies of speechless apes, not in my view. The theory of evolution is the con-job in my perception. We are continuious with the will, creation, and consciousness of God; it was he who programed the inner workings of human consciousness. We didnot crawl out from under a rock and start making decisions to kill each other out.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Just think about all the typing that saves.
Or thinking!

Old 09-12-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Well I disagree, we are not continuous with the idiot hierarchies of speechless apes, not in my view.
Perhaps you want to make an effort to justify that view? Because it betrays a certain detachment from the evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality