U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 05:54 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,730,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
How is it possible to blame God for everything while refusing to acknowledge His existence?
How did you get that from that? I was simply posing a question based on WHAT is often claimed, not by ME, but by many Christians.

Many believers present their god as a loving father, concerned with their well-being and safety. Scriptures are often mentioned such as "his eye being on the sparrow" so it is even on his "children." The New Testament states that if evil, earthly fathers know how to give their children good gifts, how much more their heavenly father (god)? This concept of a good, merciful, caring father-like god who created everything (nature) who can do anything seems contradictory when a story like this is presented. Being struck dead by a bolt of lightning sounds like something an angry Greek god would do, but certainly not a divine father likened to a doting dad enraptured with love for his devotees.

Last edited by InsaneInDaMembrane; 09-14-2011 at 06:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Bad things happen to good people. It's a fact.
Very true, but should a "good" god in control of all things allow bad things to happen to good people? I think we all can agree that being struck dead by a bolt of lightning in grand fashion like that is NOT exactly a good thing.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:50 AM

2,705 posts, read 2,514,222 times
Quote:
Demonstrating the internal inconsistency of a theory is not the same thing as believing the theory is true.
I'm not buying that. It's too easy for a person to say they "God doesn't exist!" out one side of their mouth and from the other side say "God is evil and causes all of our pain!"

I think alot of these atheists are really believers.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Very true, but should a "good" god in control of all things allow bad things to happen to good people? I think we all can agree that being struck dead by a bolt of lightning in grand fashion like that is NOT exactly a good thing.
So?

Old 09-14-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
How did you get that from that? I was simply posing a question based on WHAT is often claimed, not by ME, but by many Christians.

Many believers present their god as a loving father, concerned with their well-being and safety. Scriptures are often mentioned such as "his eye being on the sparrow" so it is even on his "children." The New Testament states that if evil, earthly fathers know how to give their children good gifts, how much more their heavenly father (god)? This concept of a good, merciful, caring father-like god who created everything (nature) who can do anything seems contradictory when a story like this is presented. Being struck dead by a bolt of lightning sounds like something an angry Greek god would do, but certainly not a divine father likened to a doting dad enraptured with love for his devotees.

Why would an atheist have thoughts like these if he were absolutely sure there was no God? If there is no God, why allow the rantings of woo-woos to rattle your metaphysical sobriety?

Old 09-14-2011, 07:11 AM

5,463 posts, read 5,795,813 times
Quote:
I'm not buying that. It's too easy for a person to say they "God doesn't exist!" out one side of their mouth and from the other side say "God is evil and causes all of our pain!"

I think alot of these atheists are really believers.
Your belief is noted. Too bad it, like belief in gods, says nothing about the reality of the situation.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Your belief is noted. Too bad it, like belief in gods, says nothing about the reality of the situation.
It's just an observation.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:38 AM

35,004 posts, read 9,057,473 times
Quote:

I think a lot of these atheists are really believers.
That's a pretty standard ploy within the 'You are simply arguing so hard because you really agree with me deep down inside' ambit.

You are wrong. The argument about the problem of evil as I have explained several times, though you may not have seen it (but you have now) is not to argue that God is real and is nasty but that the Bible claims for God as a perfectly good being are plainly false. God as depicted in the Bible is not good and, bearing in mind the factory recall of His creation in the Flood, is not prescient as claimed.

The conclusion is that the God claims of the Bible do not stack up and are not believable. Thus atheists argue that no reasonable person can honestly believe in the god depicted in the Bible.

How about you?

Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Why would an atheist have thoughts like these if he were absolutely sure there was no God? If there is no God, why allow the rantings of woo-woos to rattle your metaphysical sobriety?
I'll get back to you after this conference call. lol

Old 09-14-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Ok! I rarely rant on about any god about what they do or don't do as if I believe they exist, however, please do NOT confuse what I believe to be true with what I debate with OTHER people about that THEY believe to be true.

In this case I am not arguing whether a god exists or not. I am presenting the post based on the belief of others that a "good god" exists, who if he/she does, committed an act contrary to that notion toward one of his or her devotees. In other words, the perception and the action contradict each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality