Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 12:40 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
no one is asking anyone to love evil.

the huge disconnect his post has identified quite accurately (and again i applaud the post for its honesty) is between

"god is love" "god is everything"

and

"all that I see in the world around me including evil"

that is what he seeks to reconcile

what is missing is
"how do I do this"
and also
"how can this possibly be"
And you think that a book written thousands of years ago explains satisfactorily how to reconcile a God who is love with the existence of evil. Is that what you are saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 12:40 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are correct. I misspoke because of my extreme frustration over the disconnect. I certainly HOPE it is not forever or beyond my reach. That is why I have faith, hope, and love.
It is absolutely correct, healthy, and normal to feel frustrated with the disconnect you have accurately and wisely identified. Don't let anyone ever talk you out of your honestly stated feelings.

Nothing changes until something changes.
How many decades has it been?

Old 08-27-2017, 12:44 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
no one is asking anyone to love evil.
the huge disconnect his post has identified quite accurately (and again i applaud the post for its honesty) is between
"god is love" "god is everything"
and
"all that I see in the world around me including evil"
that is what he seeks to reconcile
what is missing is
"how do I do this"
and also
"how can this possibly be"
This is also an accurate expression of my frustration over my failings, especially my difficulty in loving those who do evil of any kind. It is not that "how I do this" is missing. Love of God and each other is how we do it. It is that my ability to love seems inadequate at this time. Having experienced the unconditional love and acceptance, I know that it IS and how it can be but have difficulty reconciling it with the conditions of our reality.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
And you think that a book written thousands of years ago explains satisfactorily how to reconcile a God who is love with the existence of evil. Is that what you are saying?
no, that is not what i am saying.
those are your words, your thoughts

Old 08-27-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
no, that is not what i am saying.
those are your words, your thoughts
It is my understanding of your post, and it's wonderful if I'm mistaken about what you are saying, because that makes no sense.

So, please, do explain yourself.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
It is my understanding of your post, and it's wonderful if I'm mistaken about what you are saying, because that makes no sense.

So, please, do explain yourself.
my point is that if a person does not seek and utilize help, then they stay stuck where they are

help in understanding
help in reconciling seeming contradictions
help in exploring big questions
help with emotions such as hate
help in relating to others
help in relating to our own self

we are not meant to do it by ourself
anymore than a preschooler is meant to be shut in a classroom and told to teach yourself to read, write, do math and get a high school diploma

i will say it again
it is cruel to ask anyone including ourselves to
"love"
without telling them "how to do that" and giving them tools to address all the parts to that: the emotional piece, the intellectual ideas, the beliefs about God, the problem solving.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
my point is that if a person does not seek and utilize help, then they stay stuck where they are

help in understanding
help in reconciling seeming contradictions
help in exploring big questions
help with emotions such as hate
help in relating to others
help in relating to our own self

we are not meant to do it by ourself
anymore than a preschooler is meant to be shut in a classroom and told to teach yourself to read, write, do math and get a high school diploma

i will say it again
it is cruel to ask anyone including ourselves to
"love"
without telling them "how to do that" and giving them tools to address all the parts to that: the emotional piece, the intellectual ideas, the beliefs about God, the problem solving.
The God who is love is within us all, teaching each of us. AND, we're all in this together, learning from each other's experiences as well. Lots of books have been written, lots of examples have been lived and are being lived. No one is in this alone or without help.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:22 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
for me, when you can "Kill" without malice.
No malice is not the same as indifference.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
The God who is love is within us all, teaching each of us. AND, we're all in this together, learning from each other's experiences as well. Lots of books have been written, lots of examples have been lived and are being lived. No one is in this alone or without help.
you do realize this sounds like the cults who say don't go to the doctor

you are not giving good counsel when you tell people to avoid seeking help

doctors
counselors
therapists
12-step groups
psycholgists

are very different from talking to friends and reading books.

it is alarming that you do not see the difference and that you counsel someone to disregard their feelings.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
you do realize this sounds like the cults who say don't go to the doctor

you are not giving good counsel when you tell people to avoid seeking help

doctors
counselors
therapists
12-step groups
psycholgists

are very different from talking to friends and reading books.

it is alarming that you do not see the difference and that you counsel someone to disregard their feelings.

I didn't say anything about avoiding seeking help. I said we are not alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality