U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 04:22 PM

13,459 posts, read 21,202,746 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: regarding the TOS

Good evening all.
Here is the paragraph from the TOS of City Data about copy/pastes from the internet. For your protection you need to be follow these guidelines in your posts..This also applies to non copyrighted material..

Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-20-2011 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 05:02 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,117,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWitnesses View Post
I see your point!

I wish it was in the Gospel of Luke or John..because I'd have an easier time dismissing it!

I really want to look at all the excluded Gospels...but it seems that there may not be much available to look at. Maybe those were burned in Alexandria also.

There's a great website called www.sacred-texts.com that might have some of them. The search engine is kind of weird, but if I look hard enough I might find them.

I'm still in the process of reading "Misquoting Jesus" by Ehrman, too. I'll get back to you on the "dogs" quote if I find anything!

Ehrman is a favorite of mine...and his findings cannot be refuted.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:32 PM

307 posts, read 224,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
What I find interesting about Mithra and Christianity is the two stories almost are word for word. One also has to understand that during the time of Christ the Middle East was occupied by Rome. The Roman soldier mostly believed in Mithra and followed its teachings. To get the Romans to convert to Christianity the story of Jesus follows the Mithras storied almost word for word. this made it allot easier for the Roman soldier to accept Jesus.
Can you provide us with a version of the Mithra story that is "almost word for word" like the Jesus story? Don't just list the supposed comparisons, but actually find us a story in which those details occur. Have you ever read such a story?

Old 09-20-2011, 05:47 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,512,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post
Can you provide us with a version of the Mithra story that is "almost word for word" like the Jesus story? Don't just list the supposed comparisons, but actually find us a story in which those details occur. Have you ever read such a story?
There are several sites that have posted the "Mirthra Similarities" Here is a link to one: The Origin of Christianity (VERY long, read it with an open mind!)

Old 09-20-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
There are several sites that have posted the "Mirthra Similarities" Here is a link to one: The Origin of Christianity (VERY long, read it with an open mind!)
All that site does is list the so-called similarities. I'm looking for a version of the Mithra story where these things happened. Has anyone here ever actually read such a story? Or seen any evidence of these "similarities" actually being part of the ancient Mithra story? If so, what kind of evidence?

Old 09-20-2011, 07:28 PM

2,833 posts, read 4,024,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post

You will find many on the internet however I have selected one link for you to check out: Title Page
It is titled THE MYSTERIES OF MITHRA by Franz Cumont

Enjoy

Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 PM

1,194 posts, read 735,461 times
Default The Truth

Quote:
I found this below excerpt online about Mithra and Paul's theology. I stumbled on it by accident when I was researching the book burning at Alexandria just now.

I may not be on much the next few days or weeks. I will be a bit busy, but I'll try to be back soon!

Here is the excerpt:
"I don't find it strange anymore that there is a four thousand year-old legend among the Zoroastrians; the legend of Mithra. He is supposed to have been born of a virgin on December 25th. Mithra was considered as the "lamb of god." He atoned for the sins of people by dying. Then he resurrected on the third day! There is strong reason to believe that Saint Paul fabricated the belief system of Christianity from the Zoroastrian mythology. In order to hide Paul's plagiarism . . . the Christians burned the library of Alexandria in 390 A.D. Books in that library kept Mithra's original story of which the Pauline Doctrine is an almost exact carbon copy. (George Sarton - Introduction to the History of Science) <<

>> No honest Christian scholar can deny that Saint Paul forged the belief system of Christianity from the four thousand year old Persian legend of Mithra. In order to hide Paul's plagiarism, the Church burned the library of Alexandria in 389 since that library preserved Mithra's original legend of which the Pauline doctrine is a carbon copy. (Kersey Graves - Christianity Before Christ) <<

Shalom...are you speaking from a position of neutrality? If so, that boat can only float in calm waters for a short period of time.
Sooner or later your "striving not to strive" will be inundated by a tsunami and you'll find yourself on one side or the other.
Notwithstanding, concerning your "neutral" albeit vague and unsupportable allegation of "copy, paste, and print" by the Apostle Paul, Jesus declared..."All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them." (John) 10:8 KJV...

Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 PM

12,900 posts, read 18,450,622 times
Quote:
I found this below excerpt online about Mithra and Paul's theology. I stumbled on it by accident when I was researching the book burning at Alexandria just now.

I may not be on much the next few days or weeks. I will be a bit busy, but I'll try to be back soon!

Here is the excerpt:
"I don't find it strange anymore that there is a four thousand year-old legend among the Zoroastrians; the legend of Mithra. He is supposed to have been born of a virgin on December 25th. Mithra was considered as the "lamb of god." He atoned for the sins of people by dying. Then he resurrected on the third day! There is strong reason to believe that Saint Paul fabricated the belief system of Christianity from the Zoroastrian mythology. In order to hide Paul's plagiarism . . . the Christians burned the library of Alexandria in 390 A.D. Books in that library kept Mithra's original story of which the Pauline Doctrine is an almost exact carbon copy. (George Sarton - Introduction to the History of Science) <<

>> No honest Christian scholar can deny that Saint Paul forged the belief system of Christianity from the four thousand year old Persian legend of Mithra. In order to hide Paul's plagiarism, the Church burned the library of Alexandria in 389 since that library preserved Mithra's original legend of which the Pauline doctrine is a carbon copy. (Kersey Graves - Christianity Before Christ) <<

You don't need Robert Langon to solve this conspiracy. OF COURSE it was made up!!!

The fact is, Paul himself was a minor player in the whole game of Christianity; he never got it past backwater cult status. Constantine would be the guy I credit as the person who made the best use of a good story, and later European rulers followed his example to solidify and cement their control of the simple-minded across Europe; until people finally woke up and started thinking for themselves during the Renaissance. Still, it's taken more than 500 years and we still aren't done with the farce.

Christianity has never been about the truth; it's about culture... and control. Jesus wasn't called the King of kings by accident; his story is meant to influence people to accept, follow and even worship real kings under the false precept that they were preordained by some higher power to generally be fat, selfish and murderous bastards.

We would never bow to these guys today:

http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article05111001.aspx

But so many don't see a problem bowing to the tool those same men (and many others) created and refined over centuries to protect/increase their own power:

Old 09-20-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
You will find many on the internet however I have selected one link for you to check out: Title Page
It is titled THE MYSTERIES OF MITHRA by Franz Cumont

Enjoy
Thanks, but I've been going through that book and it doesn't even address most of the Mithra claims from the page Woodrow linked. It doesn't say he was born on 12/25, doesn't say he had twelve companions or disciples, doesn't say he was a great traveling teacher and master, doesn't say he was buried in a tomb, doesn't say he rose again after 3 days, doesn't say he was resurrected, doesn't say he was called "the good shepherd", "the way, the truth and the light", "redeemer", "savior", or "messiah", and makes no mention of his sacred day being Sunday prior to Jesus' time (only after).

Want to try again?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:36 PM

10,949 posts, read 1,185,913 times
I never heard of Mithra so I looked it up and can't find to much information only that he was some kind of Sun god.But nothing that he was born on December 25th etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality