U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2011, 09:06 PM
 
37,477 posts, read 25,224,572 times
Reputation: 5853

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Any post supporting the Mithraic parallels. Primary source material please!
Try Gerald Berry's "Religions of the World"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 PM
 
307 posts, read 224,603 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Try Gerald Berry's "Religions of the World"
The problem is that Berry mostly just repeats the Mithra claims. He never tells us what the "evidence" is supposed to be. For anyone who's trying to get to the truth behind the claims, someone simply repeating the claims isn't much help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2011, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,383,615 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post
The problem is that Berry mostly just repeats the Mithra claims. He never tells us what the "evidence" is supposed to be. For anyone who's trying to get to the truth behind the claims, someone simply repeating the claims isn't much help.
What about this one: Mithra & Mithraism - The Legend of Mithras - (CAIS)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2011, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 12,502,834 times
Reputation: 7377
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post
The problem is that Berry mostly just repeats the Mithra claims. He never tells us what the "evidence" is supposed to be. For anyone who's trying to get to the truth behind the claims, someone simply repeating the claims isn't much help.
The Catholic encyclopedia seems to give a logical reason why it is so difficult to find out anything about Mithra

Quote:
(1) Our knowledge regarding Mithraism is very imperfect; some 600 brief inscriptions, mostly dedicatory, some 300 often fragmentary, exiguous, almost identical monuments, a few casual references in the Fathers or Acts of the Martyrs, and a brief polemic against Mithraism which the Armenian Eznig about 450 probably copied from Theodore of Mopsuestia (d. 428) who lived when Mithraism was almost a thing of the past these are our only sources, unless we include the Avesta in which Mithra is indeed mentioned, but which cannot be an authority for Roman Mithraism with which Christianity is compared. Our knowledge is mostly ingenious guess-work; of the real inner working of Mithraism and the sense in which it was understood by those who professed it at the advent of Christianity, we know nothing.
SOURCE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 12:02 AM
 
2,670 posts, read 3,551,670 times
Reputation: 1010
Well thats the problem with a lot of this stuff,a lot of theory and conjecture which is endlessly repeated in book after book,without any original source material,just a bunch of authors quoting each other and implying 'fact' while delivering 'conjecture'.

Since the library at alexandria was burned we don't actually 'know' whether the mithras orgin story was there or not or whether it matches the jesus story as perfectly as some claim.Perhaps it did.......but merely repeating that 'the evidence existed but was destroyed 2 thousand years ago' is a roundabout way of saying 'I don't actually have any evidence'.

Of course many books regarding early christian history are also based more on 'tradition' than any verifiable historical evidence.We don't actually 'know' as much about history as many think we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 12:25 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 12,502,834 times
Reputation: 7377
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Well thats the problem with a lot of this stuff,a lot of theory and conjecture which is endlessly repeated in book after book,without any original source material,just a bunch of authors quoting each other and implying 'fact' while delivering 'conjecture'.

Since the library at alexandria was burned we don't actually 'know' whether the mithras orgin story was there or not or whether it matches the jesus story as perfectly as some claim.Perhaps it did.......but merely repeating that 'the evidence existed but was destroyed 2 thousand years ago' is a roundabout way of saying 'I don't actually have any evidence'.

Of course many books regarding early christian history are also based more on 'tradition' than any verifiable historical evidence.We don't actually 'know' as much about history as many think we do.
History is almost always what the present wants it to be even if it means some old written history needs to be 'corrected" or become non-existent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 04:17 AM
 
307 posts, read 224,603 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
That one doesn't address most of the claims, either. And for the few it does address, it should be noted that it's talking about Roman Mithraism, which is post-Christian. Only the Persian version of Mithra is pre-Christian, but there are no significant comparisons between the Persian Mithra and Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 04:29 AM
 
307 posts, read 224,603 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The Catholic encyclopedia seems to give a logical reason why it is so difficult to find out anything about Mithra
It's true that we don't know a lot about Mithra (especially the pre-Christian Persian version). But the lack of evidence doesn't mean that people can just "pretend" that Mithra has lots of comparisons to Jesus. If there's no evidence for most of the comparisons, then why are people claiming that the comparisons are true? Are we really allowed to fill in the gaps in ancient knowledge by just making stuff up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 04:50 AM
 
Location: Florida
18,290 posts, read 18,533,242 times
Reputation: 20965
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post
It's true that we don't know a lot about Mithra (especially the pre-Christian Persian version). But the lack of evidence doesn't mean that people can just "pretend" that Mithra has lots of comparisons to Jesus. If there's no evidence for most of the comparisons, then why are people claiming that the comparisons are true? Are we really allowed to fill in the gaps in ancient knowledge by just making stuff up?
LOL! Obviously it is totally acceptable and very common.
If it was not so this forum and the two subforums wouldnt even exist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 05:06 AM
 
34,448 posts, read 8,865,664 times
Reputation: 4784
I did read 'The man in the hat' (a summary of Mithra) some time ago. I have also been struck by the similarities between the images of Isis (in Ptolemaic dress) and some aspects of Isis - worship and the Marian cult. Both (along with Cybele and Christos) were 'alternative' cults to the Roman gods.

However, I'm pretty persuaded that, while Mithras and Isis may have provided some add - on material for the Christos myth, it was largely rooted in Paul's own ideas which were based on Jewish aspirations for a purified Israel, ruled only by God's appointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top