U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 02:01 PM

817 posts, read 574,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Well thats the problem with a lot of this stuff,a lot of theory and conjecture which is endlessly repeated in book after book,without any original source material,just a bunch of authors quoting each other and implying 'fact' while delivering 'conjecture'.

Since the library at alexandria was burned we don't actually 'know' whether the mithras orgin story was there or not or whether it matches the jesus story as perfectly as some claim.Perhaps it did.......but merely repeating that 'the evidence existed but was destroyed 2 thousand years ago' is a roundabout way of saying 'I don't actually have any evidence'.

Of course many books regarding early christian history are also based more on 'tradition' than any verifiable historical evidence.We don't actually 'know' as much about history as many think we do.
Right. On both sides of it there are problems with verification of facts.

Regarding the following 3 things:
Love, Truth, Wisdom...

if we aspire to these things in their highest forms, with all of our strength, and in earnest, we will make it home. The Spirit of God that indwelleth will lead you aright.

I am not sure I accept Christ's divinity anymore, for many reasons, but I believe that Jesus the man was a "son of God" (the way Elijah and Elekiel and others were) and truly came in the name of the father. He was a true teacher of the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post
That one doesn't address most of the claims, either. And for the few it does address, it should be noted that it's talking about Roman Mithraism, which is post-Christian. Only the Persian version of Mithra is pre-Christian, but there are no significant comparisons between the Persian Mithra and Jesus.
Thanks for that great info! I am going to study the Mithra thing in more depth...but it isn't as interesting as the Horus connection to me now.

I am, for the moment, willing to accept that the Roman Mithraism in fact did copy Christianity. Once I study the Persian version in depth, I will see if I am prompted to change my mind.

I am also much more interested in studying Zoroastrianism than Mithra(s) as far as the near future is concerned!

Old 09-26-2011, 08:54 PM

307 posts, read 224,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWitnesses View Post
Thanks for the link brother!

NOW....how what about Horus? There are apparently some similarities to the Christian story with this as well...and coming from Ancient Egypt!

Does anyone know anything about this already? I have an article...and I will post excerpts momentarily...but I have yet to verify the contents.
I've researched the Horus claims, and found them to be just as bogus as the Mithra claims. Perhaps even more so. The problem is that we really don't know much about Mithra, making it hard to really "debunk" the claims. All we can show is that we don't have any evidence that most of the claims are true. As for Horus, we have plenty of pre-Christian stories about him (in sources such as the Book of the Dead, the Coffin Texts, Diodorus Siculus, the Matternich Stela, and others), and almost all of the "parallel claims" are clearly not reflected in those stories at all.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:56 PM

307 posts, read 224,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWitnesses View Post
Once I study the Persian version in depth, I will see if I am prompted to change my mind.
The problem is that we have very little information on Persian Mithraism, so it's hard to study it "in depth". The Egyptians tended to write their stories in stone, so that they would last a long time. The Persians didn't, so we know very little about their ancient stories.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:31 PM

12,186 posts, read 8,125,340 times
I'm coming late to the part here but I have to say as a Pagan, Mithra & Christ had nothing in common.
Mithra was the Iranian God of light. There is no mention of him being born on the 25th of December OR dieing for the sins of mankind. If you want to compare Christ to someone then try Buddha. Read the teachings of Buddha & then the teachings of Christ .Please keep in mind that Buddha was some 500 B.C Even the stories of Horus being sent to save man from his sins are bogus. Horus was sort of a catch all name for multiple deities of the day. With that said I do believe that Christianty was stolen from older Pagan belifes. But I think Christians of the day were smart enough to take bits & pieces from paganism, in hopes that no one would piece them together.

People put way too much stock into Dan Browns books.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I'm coming late to the part here but I have to say as a Pagan, Mithra & Christ had nothing in common.
Mithra was the Iranian God of light. There is no mention of him being born on the 25th of December OR dieing for the sins of mankind. If you want to compare Christ to someone then try Buddha. Read the teachings of Buddha & then the teachings of Christ .Please keep in mind that Buddha was some 500 B.C Even the stories of Horus being sent to save man from his sins are bogus. Horus was sort of a catch all name for multiple deities of the day. With that said I do believe that Christianty was stolen from older Pagan belifes. But I think Christians of the day were smart enough to take bits & pieces from paganism, in hopes that no one would piece them together.

People put way too much stock into Dan Browns books.
Very interesting. Thank you so much for that great information!!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:09 PM

Thanks to all of you for your help with this!! I really appreciate it!!

Old 09-27-2011, 08:51 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,557,139 times
VERY interesting, looking forward to learning more!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality