U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:15 PM

5,426 posts, read 5,573,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
“No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.” George Bush
This is the kind of thing Christian leaders say about us.

The least you can be is a little thick skinned when we mock you in an anonymous web forum. In normal life, you have the stronger hand.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:22 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,363,010 times
kiggy: Apparently you subscribe to the notion that the best defense is a good offense, as you are being as offensive as possible. As an Atheist, I wouldn't even think about the 'god' issue if it weren't continually being brought to my attention by those who want to put Intelligent Design in texbooks and break down the separation between church and state, not to mention the occasional proselytizer.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,425,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
What are the values and tenets of atheism?
There are no values and/or tenets of atheism. Atheism just means we don't believe in god(s); nothing more. If an atheist wants a lifestance, they have to go elsewhere for that, such as secular humanism, etc. But, not all atheists are humanists.

Most of the people who don't believe in god, just don't believe in god and go on their merry way. They may not even apply the term atheist to themselves, because religion is irrelevant to them. I choose to apply the term atheist to myself, because I still have an intense interest in religion and the term atheist indicates the perspective I come from when talking with others about religion.

Religions exist. Beliefs in gods exist. When we atheists talk about god, we are not so much talking about a being we don't believe exists, but about ideas and beliefs about god. For many of us, it was quite an accomplishment after a lot of intense work to detect the reasons why many religious beliefs are false. Some of us like to talk about things that we know a lot about due to a lot of personal study.

Some people are into to insects and like to talk about them. Some people are into Star Wars and like to talk about it. We are interested in religions and like to talk about them, even though we think it is very unlikely gods exist. But, hey, I bet most Star Wars fanatics are pretty sure Luke Skywalker doesn't exist, either.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:32 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,412,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why do you care what we discuss? As far as what it means to be an atheist, it is obvious to me that you haven't a clue.
You're absolutely right. I don't have a clue as to what it's like to be an atheist. So come on, tell me, why would it benefit me to believe as you do?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Hahaha...oh, were you serious??

Some people, MANY people, come from a religious (Christian) background and once the blinders are off they have a lot to say about it. Others never did believe and just don't get how people can be so dang silly. Obviously it get more serious when followers become more annoying, and opressive. Atheists have to live with Christian "bla bla bla" every day of their life, it's pretty hard NOT to talk about that.
Then don't talk about God. Tell me why I should be an atheist. I still haven't got an answer to that question. Do any atheists know themselves?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:35 PM

12,904 posts, read 18,467,760 times
Quote:
If you look at the Atheist/Agnostic Support Group, you notice that they are simply obsessed with God, especially the Christian God. Of course, they are always attacking God, labling followers as fools, delusional, etc. I get that. But if they don't believe in God, why are 75% (conservatively) of their comments about God? I mean, if they think belief in God is stupid, ridiculous, etc, why spend so much time on the subject. Your reading lists are about God, I mean, why bother? If I were an atheist, I wouldn't bother. What's the point? I'd be going fishing, watching a ball game, balancing my checkbook, for goodness sake -- God (or the lack thereof) would not even be on my horizon. Why are the atheists on this forum such one note Johnnies?

For atheists, you all do spend a lot of time on God. Why?
Do you really think we go through our entire lives arguing god? I'd be willing to bet the majority of the atheist crew here doesn't even think about the subject unless we're logged on or trying to deal with the few annoying fundies in our real lives.
Maybe it's for the same reason everybody is here on the forum... to pass time and entertain ourselves when there isn't anything else to do. Besides, it makes good filler material while waiting for responses in the other slower forums.

BTW, you would be happy to note that I was out shooting and hiking last Sunday while you were in church, and not here arguing god.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:40 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,708,138 times
Why Atheists are So Obsessed with God

I know of no atheists who are obsessed with any of the gods, since we don't believe in them why would we get obsessed??

Old 09-20-2011, 09:41 PM

12,904 posts, read 18,467,760 times
Quote:
You're absolutely right. I don't have a clue as to what it's like to be an atheist. So come on, tell me, why would it benefit me to believe as you do?
That's the fun thing about Heathenism. You don't get missionaries, pep-talks, salesmen or fear mongering. You have to find your own way and no one is trying to bring you into the fold.

The truth is cold, lonely and spiritually unfulfilling. You and I are apes with big heads on some rock in a freaking huge universe and will only be here for the blink of an eye in the grand scheme of things. Sad yes, but it's still the truth.

As soon as we accept it, humanity can move on to the "live forever as gods" thing more realistically through science, or just get over ourselves and learn to enjoy the simple things.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 PM

5,426 posts, read 5,573,072 times
Quote:
Then don't talk about God. Tell me why I should be an atheist. I still haven't got an answer to that question. Do any atheists know themselves?
I did tell you.

The main reason one should be an atheist is because atheism happens to be accurate.

There are a few other side benefits, such as not having to live with a crazy and inconsistent world view. Most people, like myself, find that the universe makes much more sense without a God in the picture, and that coherency bring some satisfaction.

And you are your own boss and have weekends off.

But maybe not everybody should be an atheist. You may enjoy a comfortable lie about living forever more than you enjoy knowing the truth. Some people have a real problem controlling their survival instinct, and simply can't seem to accept knowing we are finite.

Why should we try to convince you to become an atheist anyway? If you don't happen to value truth enough to seek it on your own, why should we be obliged to coerce you?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
There are no values and/or tenets of atheism. Atheism just means we don't believe in god(s); nothing more. If an atheist wants a lifestance, they have to go elsewhere for that, such as secular humanism, etc. But, not all atheists are humanists.

Most of the people who don't believe in god, just don't believe in god and go on their merry way. They may not even apply the term atheist to themselves, because religion is irrelevant to them. I choose to apply the term atheist to myself, because I still have an intense interest in religion and the term atheist indicates the perspective I come from when talking with others about religion.

Religions exist. Beliefs in gods exist. When we atheists talk about god, we are not so much talking about a being we don't believe exists, but about ideas and beliefs about god. For many of us, it was quite an accomplishment after a lot of intense work to detect the reasons why many religious beliefs are false. Some of us like to talk about things that we know a lot about due to a lot of personal study.

Some people are into to insects and like to talk about them. Some people are into Star Wars and like to talk about it. We are interested in religions and like to talk about them, even though we think it is very unlikely gods exist. But, hey, I bet most Star Wars fanatics are pretty sure Luke Skywalker doesn't exist, either.
Well, so far, this is the closest to answering my OP. But really the Luke Skywalker analogy isn't quite the same. It's an interest in something ( a series of movies) as opposed to arguing about something not only are you not interested in enough to believe in, but are actually attacking that same God that you don't believe in. Not very logical.

I wouldn't be so sure of those Star Wars fans -- some are pretty darn crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality