Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:03 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
You're absolutely right. I don't have a clue as to what it's like to be an atheist. So come on, tell me, why would it benefit me to believe as you do?

Well for one being an atheist frees me of fear. Fear that many theist profess that their god requires of them. Freedom from the idea of divine judgement. Freedom from the concept of sin. As an atheist I know right from wrong but sin is a theistic concept that I have no need of. I don't have to rationalize away a genocidal deity.

Plus I have my Sundays free. Not to mention zero tithing.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:03 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
If you look at the Atheist/Agnostic Support Group, you notice that they are simply obsessed with God, especially the Christian God. Of course, they are always attacking God, labling followers as fools, delusional, etc. I get that. But if they don't believe in God, why are 75% (conservatively) of their comments about God? I mean, if they think belief in God is stupid, ridiculous, etc, why spend so much time on the subject. Your reading lists are about God, I mean, why bother? If I were an atheist, I wouldn't bother. What's the point? I'd be going fishing, watching a ball game, balancing my checkbook, for goodness sake -- God (or the lack thereof) would not even be on my horizon. Why are the atheists on this forum such one note Johnnies?

For atheists, you all do spend a lot of time on God. Why?
I explained this a while back.

Here's one of my posts on the subject: http://www.city-data.com/forum/14047616-post354.html

Old 09-20-2011, 10:07 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,744 times
Quote:
Your "truth" has never been empircally proven. My truth hasn't either. But my truth is definitely more interesting and uplifting. Yours is mind-numbingly dull and one dimensional. Why would I want to be an atheist? Please tell me.
Your truth is only interesting and uplifting to you. You are clearly one of those people who only feels validated if every one agrees with you.

And why would you want to be an atheist? It would require an open mind, and letting go of old beliefs. You couldn't go down that path.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:10 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,997 times
Atheist can't help themselves, because God is too much a part of them. They are attracted to God, because they have been programmed by God. People just naturally flock to things of God, even unbelievers. God just has it going on!

Its like a boy going to a girls house everyday, stays all day and night, but yet claims he does not like her.

Atheist claim they don't believe in God, but they can't stay away from the thought of him.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:11 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Atheist can't help themselves, because God is too much a part of them. They are attracted to God, because they have been programmed by God. People just naturally flock to things of God, even unbelievers. God just has it going on!

Its like a boy going to a girls house everyday, stays all day and night, but yet claims he does not like her.

Atheist claim they don't believe in God, but they can't stay away from the thought of him.
Is this why I can't stop listening to Rick Astley?

Old 09-20-2011, 10:16 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:

The boy goes to the girl's house because of a certain biological imperative...

Interesting theory though... god is the light bulb and atheists are the moths...and you would certainly be quick to spout a scripture that would parallel what happens to the moths in this analogy.

I guess we'd all better convert to save our asses and start ponying up at the collection plate too. God needs the dough, you see...

Old 09-20-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:

Profound my friend profound. Atheism is just like being married according to that statement. (i hope my wife doesn't see this)

Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Is this why I can't stop listening to Rick Astley?

No Georgia you can't stop listening to Rick because he is AWESOME!!!

I'm still waiting for him to do a guest spot on CSI Miami.

Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up - YouTube

Old 09-20-2011, 10:29 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:

So true.

I found another of my old posts on the matter: http://www.city-data.com/forum/14057314-post391.html

Old 09-20-2011, 10:47 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
For atheists, you all do spend a lot of time on God. Why?
It's not the sky god I am concerned about but that grown people believe that mythical beings exist, and actually base decisions on what they think their imaginary god wants them to do, or tells them to, like the outrageous stupidity of god telling the shrub to kill babies in Iraq with B52 bomb runs. The god that exists only in the head to those so completely deluded to believe in magic and absurdities are the greatest danger to the future of mankind.

There are no gods, but the fantasy that occupies the minds of people without the ability to see the absurdity are the threat. As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities. -Voltair

Your god, or any other god is absolutely powerless, however one can never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers. "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."- Albert Einstein
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality