U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:08 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,228,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
It's inspiring, but it can't do everything. This is common sense. Our brain is actually very limited.
But sadly stupidity isn't........

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:19 PM

13,624 posts, read 10,697,085 times
yes the mind is amazing,, one can become a legend in his own mind at will..

Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 PM

3,897 posts, read 4,755,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
It's inspiring, but it can't do everything. This is common sense. Our brain is actually very limited.
Most people do not use their mind to its fullest potential. There are many *instances where people have used their mind to accomplish a great feat.*
Unfortunately, most of your posts are ignoring the original post. If you think something is impossible then you've already failed.
*These accounts are rendered with utmost seriousness so as to avoid ego-centered showmanship.*

Old 09-21-2011, 09:25 PM

30,037 posts, read 30,671,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Most people do not use their mind to its fullest potential. There are many *instances where people have used their mind to accomplish a great feat.*
Unfortunately, most of your posts are ignoring the original post. If you think something is impossible then you've already failed.
*These accounts are rendered with utmost seriousness so as to avoid ego-centered showmanship.*
I hate to burst your bubble, but many things ARE impossible.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:55 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,135,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
You can't prove that my mind can't create those things!
Yes I can. I can ask you to demonstrate and when you are not able I can conclude, he can't do it.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:18 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,379,961 times
Quote:
Our problem is that inside us there's a mind going, "Impossible, impossible, impossible. I can't, I can't, I can't." We have to banish that mind from this solar system. Anything is possible; everything is possible. Sometimes you feel that your dreams are impossible, but they're not. Human beings have great potential; they can do anything. The power of the mind is incredible, limitless.
~~ Lama Yeshe ~~
I think there are human beings who have more potential than others, and many of those human beings don't know it, but other than that...

Limitless was just a great movie?

Old 09-21-2011, 10:55 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,605,737 times
Quote:
Our problem is that inside us there's a mind going, "Impossible, impossible, impossible. I can't, I can't, I can't." We have to banish that mind from this solar system. Anything is possible; everything is possible. Sometimes you feel that your dreams are impossible, but they're not. Human beings have great potential; they can do anything. The power of the mind is incredible, limitless.
~~ Lama Yeshe ~~
We do have limits - our existence is very conditional.
Yet, I appreciate the meaning behind this quote.
Our minds - conscious & subconscious thoughts - are extremely powerful!
Just consider the placebo effect.
Belief may be nonfactual, but the influence from belief is very real.

We are also finding out that genes are not as set in stone as believed for so long. They are influenced by environment, especially in the form of thoughts (relaxation or stress).
Also, those who achieve extraordinary things (like Einstein) have worked & worked on a particular problem with no solution, until they sleep & wake up with the answer... or somehow, intuitively they try something unexpected & it works. That's not to say that it's all intuition - often those "intuitive" answers only come after lots of sweat & tears. Intellect & intuition in combination can help us achieve greater things than either alone.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:05 PM

656 posts, read 901,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
We are also finding out that genes are not as set in stone as believed for so long. They are influenced by environment, especially in the form of thoughts (relaxation or stress).
Also, those who achieve extraordinary things (like Einstein) have worked & worked on a particular problem with no solution, until they sleep & wake up with the answer... or somehow, intuitively they try something unexpected & it works. That's not to say that it's all intuition - often those "intuitive" answers only come after lots of sweat & tears. Intellect & intuition in combination can help us achieve greater things than either alone.
Please cite your source for your claim that thoughts affect genes. I don't doubt for a second that our thought patterns have powerful effects on our lives and our health, but as far as changing our very genetic structure, I'm going to need to see some evidence.

Everything else, I'm on board with.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:12 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,228,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
yes the mind is amazing,, one can become a legend in his own mind at will..

or convince one's self that characters from impossible absurdities of ancient lore are real, all without evidence or reason.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:00 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,605,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
Please cite your source for your claim that thoughts affect genes. I don't doubt for a second that our thought patterns have powerful effects on our lives and our health, but as far as changing our very genetic structure, I'm going to need to see some evidence.

Everything else, I'm on board with.
Thanks for asking.

The idea that genes are affected by thoughts, seems strange, especially when we've been taught "it's in your genes" (as if there's nothing you can do about it) for so long.
We do inherit tendancies, yet environmental influences also play a part.

I first heard about this from Dr. Bruce Lipton, who cites many research findings.
Bruce Lipton - The New Biology - Where Mind and Matter Meet 1of 2.avi#

Related articles:
Phenotypic Range of Gene Expression: Environmental Influence
http://www.nature.com/scitable/topic...-influence-581

"The Ghost in Your Genes"
BBC - Science & Nature - Horizon

Last edited by SuperSoul; 09-23-2011 at 02:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality