U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2011, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
12,904 posts, read 18,467,760 times
Reputation: 13738

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
The universe was made of nothing. Stephen Hawking has a compelling argument for that. Still, it's hard to argue god is the proof when there the big guy is conspicuously absent in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2011, 01:15 PM
 
6,638 posts, read 3,863,211 times
Reputation: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
We've kept religion largely out of government, but there are still some fine points to work on... and we keep working on it. We atheist are winning, but there's still more ground to take.

Your analogy about the Yankee's hardly stands up against your admission that we atheist have been winning the last 150 years. No one cares who had the winning team at the turn of the last century, we care about who is winning now - and that is the atheist. With our small numbers we have managed to out-manuever the sheep and molded a government that uses it's force to protect us against, and at the expense of, the theist who believe this is should be a Christian nation. That's an incredible victory for atheist.

Theism rules in backward and barbaric countries, that's true. That trend is even prevelent in pockets of the U.S. where the under-educated have such a strong majority they've been hard to root out. But overall, Atheist with their small numbers have been skillful in controlling the functionally and scientifically illiterate, in both the U.S. and around the world - especially given our small numbers.

If theism is so great at medicine, why do you need doctors? Ah yes, because when you get down to it you know that your God can't cure a hang nail, while the principles of science have allowed us to switch out hearts between human beings.

I would remind you only about 7% of our nation's best scientist are theist. At the National Academy of Science, most are atheist, with the rest made up of agnostic. Only about 1% of the biologist there believe in God. It is also conclusively demonstrated that atheist tend to have higher IQ's and are better educated. So you scientific theism claims ring pretty hollow.
You STILL don't "get it".

I NEVER "admitted" the Atheists had won anything...where did I say that? I said, "you might find a few rulings". Read my post again...so you "get it" right.

Meanwhile...the POTUS got us into the longest war in the history of this country because "God told him to".
How much more PROOF than that is needed to show your claim, "We've kept religion largely out of government, but there are still some fine points to work on", is totally bogus.
"Fine points to work on"...HaHaHa, ya think?!!

You guys spew about "teaching evolution in schools"...like that is "winning"...like that wouldn't have been done anyway.
Yet, we spent the last 10 years fighting a religious war in the Middle East that was instigated by the POTUS being "told by God" to do it.
AGAIN....you just don't "get it".

But the ultimate proof that you simply cannot comprehend what I am explaining to you, is your statement, "If theism is so great at medicine, why do you need doctors?"---Right after I expound upon how much Theism backs up and supports doctors and medicine through it's network of colleges and hospitals!!

I guess we are at an impasse...because, even after I explain it to you in no uncertain terms...you come back with some argument that argues the exact opposite of what I just said.

So...now I "get it". You "get" EXACTLY what I'm saying--But you just feign ignorance to soothe your "Theismophobia".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 01:49 PM
 
Location: OKC
5,426 posts, read 5,572,373 times
Reputation: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You STILL don't "get it".

I NEVER "admitted" the Atheists had won anything...where did I say that? I said, "you might find a few rulings". Read my post again...so you "get it" right.

Meanwhile...the POTUS got us into the longest war in the history of this country because "God told him to".
How much more PROOF than that is needed to show your claim, "We've kept religion largely out of government, but there are still some fine points to work on", is totally bogus.
"Fine points to work on"...HaHaHa, ya think?!!

You guys spew about "teaching evolution in schools"...like that is "winning"...like that wouldn't have been done anyway.
Yet, we spent the last 10 years fighting a religious war in the Middle East that was instigated by the POTUS being "told by God" to do it.
AGAIN....you just don't "get it".

But the ultimate proof that you simply cannot comprehend what I am explaining to you, is your statement, "If theism is so great at medicine, why do you need doctors?"---Right after I expound upon how much Theism backs up and supports doctors and medicine through it's network of colleges and hospitals!!

I guess we are at an impasse...because, even after I explain it to you in no uncertain terms...you come back with some argument that argues the exact opposite of what I just said.

So...now I "get it". You "get" EXACTLY what I'm saying--But you just feign ignorance to soothe your "Theismophobia".
What I get is that even you don't believe your own arguments.

We live in a largely secular society - that is a loss for theism. If theist were winning you would likely need to find a different kind of work, given the brand of theism we have in this country. We've manufactured a "seperation of church and state" that prevents theist from using their majority power to spread theism via the government.

You don't want to admit that so you desperately seach for a counter example. Pretending that the justification for the war in the ME was made on religous grounds. Pretending that the religious support for secular cures somehow confirms that theism is winning rather than a tacit admishion that religion is ineffective.

If you want to see a country where theism is winning, go to Saudi Arabia. If you want to see one where it's being soundly defeated, come to the U.S. Year after year we are becoming more secular and less religious. Court ruling after court ruling, law after law.

You won't admit that because it demolishes your paradigm of the victorious march of theism. Yet even you must be aware enough to know that it is true. History has a direction here, and it is clearly moving in the atheist favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 02:05 PM
 
4,480 posts, read 4,222,320 times
Reputation: 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It's BJU Press...what did you expect it to say?

It says, "the Bible tells us...."---and that IS, in fact, what The Bible does say.

What part of that don't you "get"?!

I suggest you get a clue...you are up against a much bigger, stronger, more organized, more focused, more dedicated, opposing force. You are outnumbered and outgunned to such a degree, it's not even a contest.

You are like the baseball team with the worst record...whining, crying, and criticizing the NY Yankees for buying the best talent, and thus being as dominating and formidable as they are...and thinking that somehow discredits them.
Meanwhile...The Yankees sit in First Place.

Such is Atheism VS Theism.
Don't like that?...Oh, well!!

Did you read the sample of that text book? You'd have to have been lobotomized by a rusty knife to allow children to be taught that rubbish.

Why use the bible to refute anything scientific? Even scientific speculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 02:17 PM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,250,428 times
Reputation: 8261
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post

Meanwhile...the POTUS got us into the longest war in the history of this country because "God told him to".
Gee didn't you recently post some lame attempt to attack me for saying that religion, is a danger to mankind's future? And here your offer confirmation to the insanity of basing decisions on the fanciful tale of gods.

Well, porn films aren't know for the continuity of their story lines either............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 02:51 PM
 
6,638 posts, read 3,863,211 times
Reputation: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
What I get is that even you don't believe your own arguments.

We live in a largely secular society - that is a loss for theism. If theist were winning you would likely need to find a different kind of work, given the brand of theism we have in this country. We've manufactured a "seperation of church and state" that prevents theist from using their majority power to spread theism via the government.

You don't want to admit that so you desperately seach for a counter example. Pretending that the justification for the war in the ME was made on religous grounds. Pretending that the religious support for secular cures somehow confirms that theism is winning rather than a tacit admishion that religion is ineffective.

If you want to see a country where theism is winning, go to Saudi Arabia. If you want to see one where it's being soundly defeated, come to the U.S. Year after year we are becoming more secular and less religious. Court ruling after court ruling, law after law.

You won't admit that because it demolishes your paradigm of the victorious march of theism. Yet even you must be aware enough to know that it is true. History has a direction here, and it is clearly moving in the atheist favor.
Okay, nooooooow I see where the confusion lies.

You must think I equate "Theism" with "Religion". Not so. I said Atheism VS Theism, not Atheism VS Religion.

Subscribing to Theism doesn't require embracing religion.
I'm Theist...but I have no use for religion.

Religion has lost some ground, in a few places...that's a good thing. I'd prefer it didn't exist at all...but I'm not going to fool myself. It's gaining more in other places (like China) than the amount it is losing in others. In fact...if China gets a big "religion bug" (and that's the way it's looking)...it will be a bigtime net gain for religion on a worldwide basis in the near future.

Theism isn't losing much ground...that's also a good thing. "God" exists...not in the way religious dogma says God exists....but God does exist. Very few people have lost sight of that.
MOF...you'd be hard-pressed to find a singular more prevalent viewpoint than Theism...in the U.S., and overall worldwide.
Those that are Atheist, are typically those that have "thrown the baby out with the bathwater" after becoming soured to organized religion.

Even today...in your so-called "largely secular society", Theism trounces Atheism over 9 out of 10 times. God Belief (Theism) presents in over 90%.
Furthermore...the fact that they do it freely, is just all that much more proof of the power of Theism over Atheism.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble B O...but Atheism is at best a mention.
It's not such a much...it's never been such a much...and it's never going to be such a much. Like it or not...THAT'S REALITY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 02:58 PM
 
Location: OKC
5,426 posts, read 5,572,373 times
Reputation: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I'm sorry to burst your bubble B O...but Atheism is at best a mention.
It's not such a much...it's never been such a much...and it's never going to be such a much. Like it or not...THAT'S REALITY!
Why should I care whether atheism is more or less than a mention? So long as secular values based on rational thought are winning the day, I'm happy. Unfortunately for your arguement, that means theism is losing. THAT"S REALITY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 03:05 PM
 
4,172 posts, read 5,860,441 times
Reputation: 1199
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Okay, nooooooow I see where the confusion lies.

You must think I equate "Theism" with "Religion". Not so. I said Atheism VS Theism, not Atheism VS Religion.

Subscribing to Theism doesn't require embracing religion.
I'm Theist...but I have no use for religion.

Religion has lost some ground, in a few places...that's a good thing. I'd prefer it didn't exist at all...but I'm not going to fool myself. It's gaining more in other places (like China) than the amount it is losing in others. In fact...if China gets a big "religion bug" (and that's the way it's looking)...it will be a bigtime net gain for religion on a worldwide basis in the near future.

Theism isn't losing much ground...that's also a good thing. "God" exists...not in the way religious dogma says God exists....but God does exist. Very few people have lost sight of that.
MOF...you'd be hard-pressed to find a singular more prevalent viewpoint than Theism...in the U.S., and overall worldwide.
Those that are Atheist, are typically those that have "thrown the baby out with the bathwater" after becoming soured to organized religion.

Even today...in your so-called "largely secular society", Theism trounces Atheism over 9 out of 10 times. God Belief (Theism) presents in over 90%.
Furthermore...the fact that they do it freely, is just all that much more proof of the power of Theism over Atheism.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble B O...but Atheism is at best a mention.
It's not such a much...it's never been such a much...and it's never going to be such a much. Like it or not...THAT'S REALITY!
There were times when probably 9 out of 10 people believed the earth was flat. Majority does not make something right.

When you can arrest me in the name of your god, let me know. Till then, we will be a nation under the constitution. Like it or not, US constitution trounces every religion and THATS REALITY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 03:10 PM
 
6,638 posts, read 3,863,211 times
Reputation: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Gee didn't you recently post some lame attempt to attack me for saying that religion, is a danger to mankind's future? And here your offer confirmation to the insanity of basing decisions on the fanciful tale of gods.

Well, porn films aren't know for the continuity of their story lines either............
Ahhhhh....Ash Nat. I didn't attack you so much for saying that religion is a danger to mankind's future.
I got on you guys for trying to justify specifically devoting thousands of hours of your lives posting on forums like this...by saying you do it as a way to shield society from that supposed threat.

You haven't figured out yet that I do agree with you that religion is, and has been, one of the most powerful motivators for evil deeds?

Continuity of story lines in porn films? What "story lines"?
Why would we be so foolish to put in something as distracting as a story line? That would take away from the content the consumer really wants when they buy that type of product!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 03:30 PM
 
6,638 posts, read 3,863,211 times
Reputation: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
There were times when probably 9 out of 10 people believed the earth was flat. Majority does not make something right.

When you can arrest me in the name of your god, let me know. Till then, we will be a nation under the constitution. Like it or not, US constitution trounces every religion and THATS REALITY.
Majority may not make something right...but it typically makes it dominate.

OH, and you are WRONG!
You need to read the Constitution again.
The Constitution not only DOESN'T trounce every religion...it PROTECTS every religion. Every single one...no exceptions.
It's doesn't say, "freedom FROM religion"...it says, "freedom OF religion". THAT'S REALITY. The Atheists need to get hip to that.

You can't arrest someone "in the name of your God"...but you can be arrested for trying to stop someone from naming their God. Thanks to the Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top