Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:14 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,347,060 times

Advertisements

Look Inside the Book for BJU Press Science 4 Student Text | BJU Press

Some lovely gems in it like:

Quote:
Science can be defined as "information gained by using our senses." Faith means "holding beliefs without seeing, hearing, tasting or touching the proof of them.

When the moon came into being, were there any people there to get facts through their senses? Then do all our ideas about where the moon came from rest on science or faith?
Quote:
The three theories just discussed are some scientists' guesses as to how the moon began. But (grammar alert) Christians do not have to guess how things began. The Bible not only tells us that God made the lights in the Heaven but also that he made them out of nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:34 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,485,264 times
Oh man, that is awesome.

Good find.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:04 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,497,177 times
I'll bet I could've gotten much better grades in my science classes when I was in school, if I'd had a textbook like that!

Old 09-21-2011, 09:31 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,528,855 times
Awesome. Does anyone recall seeing this :

"Science can be defined as "information gained by using our senses."

in a thread begun by an unaccountably now absent poster intending to prove God? I wondered how he came up with that.

Here's another interesting bit of fatheadedness:

"Are Christians just out of it, scientifically speaking? The answer comes down to viewpoint. If you believe that man can know everything and that science is the path to that knowledge, then you would say yes; Christians are befuddled."

This is brilliantly reversed strawman argument. By tacitly accusing atheist science of claiming to have all the answers - the point doesn't work if that isn't the argument (1) and the implication being that this is the only way Christianity can be discredited, by quotemining some valid stuff about what science doesn't know, that claim is refuted and, therefore, Christians are not 'befuddled' and therefore, by implication, Christianity is true.

(1) yep the good ol' footnote... "if you believe that man can know everything and that science is the path to that knowledge" isn't actually saying that. They can't even be relied upon to be straight about that.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-21-2011 at 09:45 AM..

Old 09-21-2011, 09:32 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,613,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
It's BJU Press...what did you expect it to say?

It says, "the Bible tells us...."---and that IS, in fact, what The Bible does say.

What part of that don't you "get"?!

I suggest you get a clue...you are up against a much bigger, stronger, more organized, more focused, more dedicated, opposing force. You are outnumbered and outgunned to such a degree, it's not even a contest.

You are like the baseball team with the worst record...whining, crying, and criticizing the NY Yankees for buying the best talent, and thus being as dominating and formidable as they are...and thinking that somehow discredits them.
Meanwhile...The Yankees sit in First Place.

Such is Atheism VS Theism.
Don't like that?...Oh, well!!

Old 09-21-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It's BJU Press...what did you expect it to say?

It says, "the Bible tells us...."---and that IS, in fact, what The Bible does say.

What part of that don't you "get"?!

I suggest you get a clue...you are up against a much bigger, stronger, more organized, more focused, more dedicated, opposing force. You are outnumbered and outgunned to such a degree, it's not even a contest.

You are like the baseball team with the worst record...whining, crying, and criticizing the NY Yankees for buying the best talent, and thus being as dominating and formidable as they are...and thinking that somehow discredits them.
Meanwhile...The Yankees sit in First Place.

Such is Atheism VS Theism.
Don't like that?...Oh, well!!

Are you going to be ok? Is there someone we should call?

You seem pretty upset about Nozz's post... but I'm not sure why. I'm also not sure why you don't think he "gets" it.

What atheist lack in quantity we make up for in quality. That's what helps us to hold our own. Because while the National Academy of Science is filled with atheist, prisons are filled with theist. That's how we've managed to thrive for so long, keeping God largely out of government, making sure evolution is taught in schools, etc.

Atheist have won just about every important battle in the U.S. We tend to be richer and better educated. The Court constantly rules our way on anything that really matters. Our teeth are whiter, we have a fuller head of hair. So I can't really see where you are coming from with your analogy.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:23 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,613,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Are you going to be ok? Is there someone we should call?

You seem pretty upset about Nozz's post... but I'm not sure why. I'm also not sure why you don't think he "gets" it.

What atheist lack in quantity we make up for in quality. That's what helps us to hold our own. Because while the National Academy of Science is filled with atheist, prisons are filled with theist. That's how we've managed to thrive for so long, keeping God largely out of government, making sure evolution is taught in schools, etc.

Atheist have won just about every important battle in the U.S. We tend to be richer and better educated. The Court constantly rules our way on anything that really matters. Our teeth are whiter, we have a fuller head of hair. So I can't really see where you are coming from with your analogy.
I'm fine...MOF couldn't be better! I'm not upset at all. I have a great life...and I'm happy and content as can be.
There IS "someone you should call" though...call The Salvation Army...and make a nice donation.

It's not that I don't think Nozz "gets it"...it's completely obvious he doesn't. And neither do you. That's why you are "not sure why"...and can't "see where I'm coming from".

In post after post, thread after thread, you guys complain...that Pres. Bush went to war because "God told him to"...about all the mentions of "God Bless this & God Bless that" every time someone in government opens their mouth...the government keeps big-business mega churches with massive real estate holdings and private jets tax-exempt...etc, etc, etc.
Now you say, "you have kept God largely out of government".
So which is it?

You say, "the Court constantly rules our way on anything that really matters".
Oh, really?!
You might find a few rulings...if you shrink human history down to just the last 150 years.
What about all the rest of time since mankind has had a civilized society?
If "rulings" are viewed in totality...Atheism is as nothing as nothing gets.

Evolution is taught in schools because it's the facts of the matter.
And it is noted that The Bible says what it says...because it's the facts of the matter that that IS what it says.

Theism RULES...and ALWAYS has. Atheism is just about nothing...and has NEVER been anything but.
I know you don't like that...but that's REALITY.

HaHaHa! Atheism is sooooooo "nothing"...even the best scientific stuff: the "Big Bang" theory...was figured out by a PRIEST!

Many of the very best hospitals are "Saint Something"...some like St Jude's treat people for FREE.
Many of the best colleges...cut from that same Theism based mold!

Meanwhile, Atheism...that claims to be ROOTED in education and science...has just about NOTHING to compare!
And the fact that it doesn't...speaks volumes about it's lack of REAL "quality".
Hey...I wish Atheism did have some real quality...then maybe it (and the people that subscribe to it) would actually do something of note...beyond spending most of it's/their time, energy, and resources, spewing bias and hatred toward anything having to do with Theism!

Old 09-21-2011, 11:34 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,440,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'll bet I could've gotten much better grades in my science classes when I was in school, if I'd had a textbook like that!
And you would be living in a state of blissful stupidity today, un-bothered by reason or reality.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:43 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,440,250 times
Now if this author and his fanciful twisting from reason were seated on a jury and during the trial, science proved with DNA and finger prints that the defendant tortured and killed a number of children, he would have to vote not guilty, for no one living saw the crime, thus the science would be invalid?

The world already has more than enough idiots, we don't need textbooks specifically written to create more.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I'm fine...MOF couldn't be better! I'm not upset at all. I have a great life...and I'm happy and content as can be.
There IS "someone you should call" though...call The Salvation Army...and make a nice donation.

It's not that I don't think Nozz "gets it"...it's completely obvious he doesn't. And neither do you. That's why you are "not sure why"...and can't "see where I'm coming from".

In post after post, thread after thread, you guys complain...that Pres. Bush went to war because "God told him to"...about all the mentions of "God Bless this & God Bless that" every time someone in government opens their mouth...the government keeps big-business mega churches with massive real estate holdings and private jets tax-exempt...etc, etc, etc.
Now you say, "you have kept God largely out of government".
So which is it?

You say, "the Court constantly rules our way on anything that really matters".
Oh, really?!
You might find a few rulings...if you shrink human history down to just the last 150 years.
What about all the rest of time since mankind has had a civilized society?
If "rulings" are viewed in totality...Atheism is as nothing as nothing gets.

Evolution is taught in schools because it's the facts of the matter.
And it is noted that The Bible says what it says...because it's the facts of the matter that that IS what it says.

Theism RULES...and ALWAYS has. Atheism is just about nothing...and has NEVER been anything but.
I know you don't like that...but that's REALITY.

HaHaHa! Atheism is sooooooo "nothing"...even the best scientific stuff: the "Big Bang" theory...was figured out by a PRIEST!

Many of the very best hospitals are "Saint Something"...some like St Jude's treat people for FREE.
Many of the best colleges...cut from that same Theism based mold!

Meanwhile, Atheism...that claims to be ROOTED in education and science...has just about NOTHING to compare!
And the fact that it doesn't...speaks volumes about it's lack of REAL "quality".
Hey...I wish Atheism did have some real quality...then maybe it (and the people that subscribe to it) would actually do something of note...beyond spending most of it's/their time, energy, and resources, spewing bias and hatred toward anything having to do with Theism!
We've kept religion largely out of government, but there are still some fine points to work on... and we keep working on it. We atheist are winning, but there's still more ground to take.

Your analogy about the Yankee's hardly stands up against your admission that we atheist have been winning the last 150 years. No one cares who had the winning team at the turn of the last century, we care about who is winning now - and that is the atheist. With our small numbers we have managed to out-manuever the sheep and molded a government that uses it's force to protect us against, and at the expense of, the theist who believe this is should be a Christian nation. That's an incredible victory for atheist.

Theism rules in backward and barbaric countries, that's true. That trend is even prevelent in pockets of the U.S. where the under-educated have such a strong majority they've been hard to root out. But overall, Atheist with their small numbers have been skillful in controlling the functionally and scientifically illiterate, in both the U.S. and around the world - especially given our small numbers.

If theism is so great at medicine, why do you need doctors? Ah yes, because when you get down to it you know that your God can't cure a hang nail, while the principles of science have allowed us to switch out hearts between human beings.

I would remind you only about 7% of our nation's best scientist are theist. At the National Academy of Science, most are atheist, with the rest made up of agnostic. Only about 1% of the biologist there believe in God. It is also conclusively demonstrated that atheist tend to have higher IQ's and are better educated. So you scientific theism claims ring pretty hollow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality