Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:18 AM

18 posts, read 77,992 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving from the Midwest to Saint George Utah. We are an outgoing, friendly middle class family that typically will fit in with just about any race or culture. However we have been strongly warned that being Christian, we will have a hard time and will not be very welcome in a dominant LSD community. We also were told our kids will struggle relating to other LSD children at their schools. Our children are 11 & 12 year old average boys that will attend public schools. I find this hard to believe but are seeking other opinions. We are not at all discriminating against others but just need to feel welcome. Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks for the post. DD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 01:03 PM

102 posts, read 306,494 times
We moved from PA to southern Utah in June. We are not LDS, nor are we "active" Christians. Our daughter attends a charter school, and I don't think she has ever felt unwelcome. One of our neighbor's is LDS and she is always inviting us to do things as a group (we haven't gone yet, but still, she is super friendly).

There has been and continues to be such a huge influx of "transplants" to this area, that I think the LDS thing becomes less and less of a big deal.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:51 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,624 times
As RSFMomma demonstrates, it is LDS not LSD. In order to make sure you have more accurate information, you might want to go to LDS.ORG and read up on them. I can positively affirm that, despite what some people would want you to believe, they most certainly are Christians. The official name of the church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. They also have an obligation to share their religion with others-the same as you or I would share a great sale at WalMart. Again, come to St George with an open mind, you WILL be approached (I would bet on it) but you will not be obligated to "buy". As RSFM points out, there are plenty of newcomers to the area.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:42 PM

Oops! I apologize for the typo. My family and I are very open minded but we don't want to feel like an outcast either. I do agree with RSFMomma though, thinking people's opinion of the LDS is not entirely accurate. I appreciate the comments and all are welcome. Keep them coming. :-) DD

Old 09-12-2011, 07:03 PM

159 posts, read 558,674 times
Having just moved to Utah in 2010, and reading various posts in the Utah forum, I know that your concerns are pretty common. I know there's another thread here in which someone was asking how their non-LDS children would be treated in a predominantly LDS public school. Answers were mixed.

I'm Agnostic (don't believe/care about any deities one way or another), so I suppose many faiths, including LDS & Catholics, etc. would consider Atheism/Agnosticism to be 'worse' than simply being some other flavor of god-worshiper.

But so far, the Mormons down here haven't stoned me yet! There definitely is a basic assumption that anyone a Mormon runs into down here is also a Mormon ("What ward do you belong to?") & even some municipal government geographic boundaries use LDS Ward boundaries.

Being/converting to or at least interested in converting to LDS is absolutely the best way to make lots of new friends in Utah, but it's far from a requirement to be a productive & happy resident of Utah.

Shortly after moving here, I had a fascinating conversation with my satellite TV installer -- a young guy from California who moved here a couple years ago & converted to LDS for his then girlfriend, now wife. It was cool talking to him because I at least wanted to familiarize myself with the cultural aspects of LDS, since I live amongst 'their' community & I asked him a lot of somewhat personal questions about it, which he answered matter-of-factly & without preaching or trying to convert me.

While to me, some of the LDS stuff seems a little creepy (sacred underwear, etc.), overall I have more respect for the LDS religion than many others, because it seems like they actually do a fairly decent job practicing what they preach, including a basic tolerance for those of other beliefs.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:38 AM

313 posts, read 778,654 times
I have fantastic news for you. Mormons call them selves Christians. Enjoy your planet sir.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:57 AM

102 posts, read 306,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyRudd View Post
I have fantastic news for you. Mormons call them selves Christians. Enjoy your planet sir.
Aw, is this really necessary? The guy is just trying to educate himself some so he can make an informed decision about his possible move. There are 9 million more tactful ways to tell him that Mormons call themselves Christians. Just sayin'.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:40 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahooligan View Post
While to me, some of the LDS stuff seems a little creepy (sacred underwear, etc.), overall I have more respect for the LDS religion than many others, because it seems like they actually do a fairly decent job practicing what they preach, including a basic tolerance for those of other beliefs.
So the LDS temple garments strike you as "creepy." Would you say the same of the Jewish tallit katan or does it merely qualify as "different from what you would wear"?

Old 09-13-2011, 01:46 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Duece View Post
Oops! I apologize for the typo. My family and I are very open minded but we don't want to feel like an outcast either. I do agree with RSFMomma though, thinking people's opinion of the LDS is not entirely accurate. I appreciate the comments and all are welcome. Keep them coming. :-) DD
Hello, Mr Duece. You may find the Lowdown on Us Mormons thread interesting. I would suggest you read the OP of that thread to see what it's all about and then maybe look at post 391. It's a long thread, but there's some good information there. Please feel free to ask any specific questions you may have on that thread.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:05 PM

delaneyrudd,
I think it's safe to assume you are of the Mormon faith. I apologize if my concerns offend you or anybody else on this forum. You can not blame a man for trying to make an informed decision for his family rather than regret it later..
As for other comments and opinions please keep them coming.
Thanks! DD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality